AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Your Demise - The Golden Age Album Cover

Your Demise - The Golden Age

Reviewed by
Your DemiseThe Golden Age
Record Label: Visible Noise (UK) / Distort Entertainment (CA)
Release Date: March 26, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Having toured with bands such as The Devil Wears Prada, Comeback Kid, Parkway Drive, and Miss May I, Your Demise have submerged themselves with all types of heavy acts. As a result, The Golden Age continues where The Kids We Used To Be left off: right in the middle of the mosh pit. It’s as heavy as ever, as the British metalheads have really found their sound. The second go around with Ed McRae taking the reins on vocals, The Golden Age exhibits the control and power of the frontman, using guest vocals to further pick up the pace.

A double-barrel shot to the gut, “The Golden Age” packs quite the bunch, starting the record off with guns blazing and fists raised. Fuming roars and ripping guitars destroy “Born A Snake,” keeping the dial at 10, while “These Lights” adds a pop-punk blend to the hardcore serving. The fire burns on throughout the record, with “The Colour Of Envy” conveying McRae’s commanding dexterity as a frontman.

The main difference between this record and any of Your Demise’s previous endeavors is the addition of guest vocalists – and many, at that. Dannika Webber of Evarose adds an unexpected female touch to “Paper Trails,” furthering the effect of the track’s defiant pop-punk flare as the boys explore previously uncharted territory with their sound. Jason Butler of letlive makes the final minute of “I’m (Not) The One” among the most intensely memorable pieces on the record – it’s punk and punk again. Arguably the most effective guest addition comes on “A Decade Drifting,” when You Me At Six’s own Josh Franceschi lends his instantly recognizable croon here. Already having experience with the hardcore genre with his previous work on Bring Me The Horizon’s raucous “Fuck,” Franceschi puts on another instantly memorable performance, resulting in one of easily the most impressive tracks on The Golden Age.

Staying true to their name and sound, Your Demise keep the guns firing throughout The Golden Age. However, this record easily exerts the most experimentation of any of their work, namely due to the unique and well-placed guest vocalists. Your Demise bring something new to the table on nearly every track, a definite necessity to stay afloat in such a hackneyed genre. Consequently, The Golden Age easily falls among the best heavy records of 2012 thus far, with each track packing a different punch than the previous blow.

6.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
10:17 PM on 03/28/12
Fowdall
User Info.
Score seems low in comparison to the review, other than that yeah, many guest vocalists!

Haven't listened to this properly yet (the new Stick to your Guns caught me by the neck) but Forget About Me and the title track are brilliant.
10:35 PM on 03/28/12
donwagenblast
@mylifeisdon
User Info.
Very interesting read, Ryan. I'll definitely check this out now.
10:41 PM on 03/28/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
"Paper Trails" is insanely catchy.
10:52 PM on 03/28/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Score seems low in comparison to the review, other than that yeah, many guest vocalists!

Haven't listened to this properly yet (the new Stick to your Guns caught me by the neck) but Forget About Me and the title track are brilliant.
Score-wise, I typically grade "heavier" records harder I suppose
10:58 PM on 03/28/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Score-wise, I typically grade "heavier" records harder I suppose

Why? That seems a little odd to me but I suppose I tend to rate non heavy things lower.
11:00 PM on 03/28/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Why? That seems a little odd to me but I suppose I tend to rate non heavy things lower.
They're harder to...diversify - similar sounding songs, guitar tones/tunings, vocals, etc.
12:33 AM on 03/29/12
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
They did a lot of experimenting with this record. The clean vocals are a good addition; it just doesn't sound like Your Demise at times. I don't think it lives up to "Kids" but it's still a great record.
02:59 AM on 03/29/12
Sinkytown
Slowking
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fun record. Causing a lot of buttheart here in England, although only for fitted-cap wearing bandwagon jumpers. 17 year olds with knuckle tats who bleat the words 'sell-out' need some perspective punching into them.

If you think YD have sold-out post-TKWUTB, listen to The Blood Stays on the Blade and realise cunts like you have been complaining for 7 years.
04:33 AM on 03/29/12
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Hated this record. Poor producing, terrible sounding, I felt like at times this band couldn't decide whether to rip off Terror or New Found Glory.
07:09 AM on 03/29/12
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
Good review, I love this album. Score should be at least 8/10 in my eyes though.
07:28 AM on 03/29/12
JordanKTM
Right Back At It Again
User Info.
Album cover reminded me of this;

07:41 AM on 03/29/12
JPA917
@JPA05
User Info.
Good Review! All the fanboys of this band are really hatin' on this record. Your Demise was pretty bold in throwing some curveballs and stretching past their "limits" with this album. I enjoyed my first listen.
10:06 AM on 03/29/12
xananomaly
User Info.
They had sam carter of architects on ignorance never dies and mike duce of lower than atlantis and mike hranica of the devil wears prada on the kids we used to be, so I wouldn't say they're strangers to guest vocals. Cool review though, I still need to dive a bit deeper into it.
10:28 AM on 03/29/12
georgedcc
User Info.
Album cover reminded me of this;

Yup, that was the thirst thing I thought of when I saw the cover.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos