AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Streaming News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Jonah Matranga Posts "The Lonesome Death Of Trayvon Martin"

Posted by - 12:31 PM on 03/29/12
Jonah Matranga (Far, OnelineDrawing, New End Original) has posted a song he wrote in reaction to the shooting of Trayvon Martin.
From the BlogI came home from an amazing Speak Out event about Trayvon Martin's killing at Glide (the incredible church I sing at) and knew it was time to sing this. It's based on a tune by Bob Dylan called "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll", which is simply one of the greatest songs ever written, sociopolitical or otherwise. I couldn't ignore the sad symmetry between that awful tale and this one, decades later, still so similar. I kept as many of the lyrics intact as I could. As with Dylan's tune, all the details I included are based on verified news reports. Please feel free to share all of this in any way you like. If you want to download the tune, you can pay as much you like, safely and securely. Any money generated will go directly to Trayvon's family, of course. Mostly, just please speak up in every way you can. Trayvon's death is an unspeakable tragedy. Let's at least honor this by focusing on and fixing the corruption and/or incompetence of the Sanford police and justice system -- and by taking a serious look at ourselves and the racism that still hurts us all in ways we can't even comprehend

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
12:31 PM on 03/29/12
Jason Tate
User Info.

The original, for those that haven't heard it.
12:37 PM on 03/29/12
njiata603
http://greatbigchoruses.tumblr.c om/
User Info.
Jonah is the coolest dude ever.
12:42 PM on 03/29/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
With more and more information coming out about this incident, I don't know what really went down. What I do know though is that the death of a kid is always so unnecessary.
12:48 PM on 03/29/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Jonah is a god among men. My favorite person in music.
12:52 PM on 03/29/12
demetrios
How It Feels to Be Something On
User Info.
Jonah is a god among men. My favorite person in music.

Couldn't have said it better.
12:58 PM on 03/29/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
This is probably my favorite Dylan song.
01:17 PM on 03/29/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Great Dylan tune, obviously.

As for Trayvon...it's undoubtedly sad that he had to die. But on the other side, you have Zimmerman who is basically condemned before any/all the evidence has been brought forth in the court of law. You have this whole racial crusade that is based off heresy at this point. Sure, it might come out that he was in the wrong. That's when he should be judged.

But it could also be the complete opposite and this Jonah guy might be writing a song for Zimmerman in the coming months reimaging the lyrics to "Hurricane" instead.

Just something to think about.
01:20 PM on 03/29/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Also, I'm surprised you were able to pull up the original on YouTube, Jason. Almost all of his music isn't on there.
01:25 PM on 03/29/12
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
Jonah is awesome. I miss Gratitude big time.
01:56 PM on 03/29/12
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
As for Trayvon...it's undoubtedly sad that he had to die. But on the other side, you have Zimmerman who is basically condemned before any/all the evidence has been brought forth in the court of law. You have this whole racial crusade that is based off heresy at this point. Sure, it might come out that he was in the wrong. That's when he should be judged.

1. He didn't "have" to die. It wouldn't have happened if he wasn't being stalked by a neighborhood nut who thought of himself a vigilante. I'm more wary of the George Zimmermans of the world than black kids wearing hoodies.

2. I'll give you the "innocent until proven guilty" argument, but dude hasn't even been arrested or charged with anything. Gotta get him in a court of law before justice can be served.

3. Solid jam.
01:58 PM on 03/29/12
love_american_style
User Info.
I heart this man with every fiber of my being. One of my favorite singers and Far is my all time faviorite band....In case you didn't already know.
02:06 PM on 03/29/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
1. He didn't "have" to die. It wouldn't have happened if he wasn't being stalked by a neighborhood nut who thought of himself a vigilante. I'm more wary of the George Zimmermans of the world than black kids wearing hoodies.

2. I'll give you the "innocent until proven guilty" argument, but dude hasn't even been arrested or charged with anything. Gotta get him in a court of law before justice can be served.

3. Solid jam.

Obviously I meant 'had' to die in the grand scheme of his life, not in the situation they were in. But you yourself are drawing conclusions...all the facts aren't out there...

Trust me, the dude is going to have to have his day on court. Having said that, what makes me mad is this whole black/white issue permeating through the whole thing. At the end of the day, Trayvon could've been white or black and it would have been sad. Then you have dumbass Spike Lee tweeting the address of some random family. It's out of control.
05:41 PM on 03/29/12
agl
User Info.
I incidentally just heard my first Far song today. Matranga has a good voice.
09:01 PM on 03/29/12
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
Thank you Jonah.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News