AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
.moneen. - hold that sound [ep] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 91%

.moneen. - hold that sound [ep]

Reviewed by: John Collins (03/29/12)
.moneen. - hold that sound [ep]
Record Label: Dine Alone Recordings
Release Date: June 16, 2009

Canadian pop-punk band .moneen. have released several full-length albums that are defining moments in the genre. This [4] song EP isn't an exception to their on going series of beautifully crafted, emotionally stripped-down, and honestly written music. Their often introspective lyrics combined with big sounding and varying instruments creates an atmosphere of a huge sounding, yet dynamic and well-crafted EP. The incorporation of graceful violin melodies accompanied by piano in the title track gives the EP an even greater sense of musicianship and completes it for a diverse sounding EP.

Two acoustic tracks follow the two instrumental tracks, further giving the sense of a dynamic and interesting EP. The two acoustic tracks, "The Way (Early Morning Acoustic)" and "Waterfalls" are both extremely layered tracks with an under-lying acoustic guitar. The vocals carry the songs through the powerful and honest lyrics, "All my life I waited for something to seem real. A long time I sat alone." ["The Way (Early Morning Acoustic)"]. This EP is a diverse and dynamic journey through .moneen.'s personal lives and it truly shows how much passion they have for creating music.

Recommended If You LikeFirst to Leave; Braid

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
11:25 PM on 04/04/12
lamensterms
User Info.
man, i miss moneen.

nice review, short and sweet - as they say. I didn't think this EP was anywhere near the level of greatness these guys are capable of.
08:35 AM on 04/05/12
John Collins
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
thanks! it was my first review so i wanted to do a short ep to get started. i agree, the red tree is way better than this ep. my next review will be that album!
03:26 PM on 04/05/12
bmiller
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Moneen is, hands down, the best live band I have ever seen. Kenny Bridges is a maniac, constantly running all over the stage. One of the concerts they played "The Last Song I Will Ever Want To Sing" as their closer (which is a 9:00+ epic) and halfway through the song asked 4 people up on stage to play 1 hand of poker. So nuts! To say "I miss them" is the understatement of the year!
07:34 PM on 04/05/12
John Collins
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Moneen is, hands down, the best live band I have ever seen. Kenny Bridges is a maniac, constantly running all over the stage. One of the concerts they played "The Last Song I Will Ever Want To Sing" as their closer (which is a 9:00+ epic) and halfway through the song asked 4 people up on stage to play 1 hand of poker. So nuts! To say "I miss them" is the understatement of the year!
I saw them at The House of Blues with Moving Mountains a couple of years ago when 'Foreword' had just come out. .moneen. was great, played Passing of America and not enough off of The Red Tree. But, nevertheless, amazing show. One of the best I've ever went to.

edit: Forgot to add Moving Mountains was phenomenal.
06:18 AM on 05/26/12
kurtdaniel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'll listen to it when I have my computer back, promise. theyre cool! Theyve got some really nice piano sound which inspired me to take the piano lesson..
02:36 PM on 05/26/12
John Collins
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'll listen to it when I have my computer back, promise. theyre cool!
nice. this ep r00lz.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests