AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Take One Car - It's Going to Be a Nice Day Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9.13
Production 10
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 9.88
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 96%
Inside AP.net

Take One Car - It's Going to Be a Nice Day

Reviewed by: Sean Rizzo (04/02/12)
Take One Car - It's Going to Be a Nice Day
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: February 21, 2012

Take One Car are an experimental post-hardcore band from Millerton, New York. They released their debut album, When the Ceiling Meets the Floor in 2009, turning heads with its crushing ferocity and up-front ambitiousness, while simultaneously incorporating intricate songwriting typically unheard of in their niche. Now, in 2012, Take One Car have completed their sophomore offering, Itís Going to Be a Nice Day, which demonstrates an expected sonic maturity for the band, but with an atypical showing of talent and expertise as they seek to carve out a new, more distinctly defined vision from their previous effort.

Letís start things off with what undoubtedly is the centerpiece for the full length of the album: the voice. Tyler Irishís despair-laden vocals are rooted entirely in the purpose of emotional impact rather than melodic appeal, yet still can be taken stylistically as very melodically appealing once the emotional impact is fully ascertained. Irishís voice is cracked, frantic, and shaky throughout most of the album, with the exceptions being certain lyrical points where his narration is less simply expressive of his emotions and are instead a deduction about why they existóand who to blame for it.

More often than not, the melodic harmonies are left in the very capable and beautifully immersive hands of the guitar work. Itís Going to Be a Nice Day has a very interesting medley of influences in its guitar work. One moment there will be the post-hardcore and pop-rock & roll riffs one would expect from early Thrice or Empires, and the next moment will shift to a dark and proggy textured soundscape that has a lot in common with post-rock but at the same time maintains a grungier, distorted take to suit the albumís theme. The best way to classify Take One Carís sound is ambient rock & roll, simply because when left to specifics the listener would be given an overly hyphenated mess of distinctly different sounds, much unlike the very well-written compositions said mess seeks to describe.

Examples of the aforementioned transitions occur so often throughout the entire album that its overall nature becomes dubious and metamorphic, allowing for an intense fluidity of emotional expression. The opener/title track happens to exemplify this phenomenon best with its sludgy yet uplifting post-rock style riffs which lead into rougher and edgier mini-solos, earning Take One Car extra points for presenting the core of their songwriting immediately instead of hiding it behind a catchy single that lures the listener in with unmet expectations. Where other bands hold back the listenersí emotional connection with mismatched songwriting, Take One Car excel.

In the end, unlike most releases, I feel that Itís Going to Be a Nice Day has greater appeal as an artistic expression rather than as fanservice. The music truly takes a life of its own, vibrantly flowing along in the precise direction the band intended for it.

Recommended If You LikeHarvard, Trophywife, Thrice, This Armistice, Empires, Holding Onto Hope, Tides of Man Ė Empire Theory

External LinksFacebook, Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
04:53 PM on 04/02/12
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
Oops. Totally forgot to check this out when you rec'd it to me...a month ago.
04:55 PM on 04/02/12
JoshSalas
User Info.
Interesting. Good review as per usual.
08:08 AM on 04/03/12
saebois
rolling science in your back pocket
User Info.
Brilliance.
10:44 AM on 04/03/12
Michael1002
Attack and Rescue Mikkelles
User Info.
Man this is one of my favorite releases this year. Don't know who recommended this in the aoty so far thread but thank you.
11:02 AM on 04/03/12
lloydy_182
User Info.
Huge album. In The Company of Wolves and The OceanSong are my favourite tracks. Progressive brilliance.
03:02 PM on 04/03/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Such a fantastic album.
11:01 PM on 04/04/12
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
If they don't eventually name an album Leave The Rest, then they don't deserve the name they chose.
05:50 AM on 04/05/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
Just got the album this morning and listened on my train ride to work. Fantastic listen.

Great review man.
07:22 AM on 04/05/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Thought their last album was pretty mediocre, but then I saw them live and they were way more interesting.
07:59 AM on 04/05/12
Andrew33
critical.error
User Info.
we just played a house show with this band a couple weeks ago. probably some of the coolest, most down to earth guys I've ever met, and they're live performance/music is incredible.
08:55 AM on 04/05/12
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
Great album, the music just speaks for itself.
04:38 PM on 04/06/12
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
Been meaning to check this out for a while now.

EDIT: A lot of parts sort of remind me of if Thrice and mewithoutYou reproduced together and created this band.
04:16 AM on 04/07/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Man this is one of my favorite releases this year. Don't know who recommended this in the aoty so far thread but thank you.
<----
Thank you so fucking much for doing the review Sean. I know the boys really appreciate it. and you know that i'd do anything to see these guys get the credit they deserve
07:20 AM on 04/07/12
Michael1002
Attack and Rescue Mikkelles
User Info.
<----
Thank you so fucking much for doing the review Sean. I know the boys really appreciate it. and you know that i'd do anything to see these guys get the credit they deserve

Yes great cd. I have been recommending this to al my friends. Would love them to get some recognition so that they will come over to Europe
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums