Password

Album Review
Cavo - Thick As Thieves Album Cover

Cavo - Thick As Thieves

Reviewed by
CavoThick As Thieves
Release Date: April 10, 2012
Record Label: Eleven Seven Music
First off, I’d like to congratulate Cavo for creating a well-rounded album. It would be very easy for them to churn out a record where each song sounds exactly the same, but these guys have the decency to switch things up.

The band’s third album kicks off with the title track, a defiant anthem for the self proclaimed “left behind”. Complete with chants of “Hey! Hey!”, and pounding drums throughout the chorus, this song is a great start to the record. Track #4 “Celebrity” is another showcase of the band’s ability to make great anthem-like tracks. The song starts out simple, but over time transforms into a larger beast than the initial moments let on. The lyrical content of said beast is that of a tale about one person’s pursuit of celebrity status, proving that the road to fame is not an easy one. The singer is heard shouting “Where’s your celebrity now?” during the chorus, wanting to know if the person in question’s aforementioned pursuit was really worth it. The vocal delivery in the verses is somewhat hushed, but slowly builds and explodes during the chorus, along with the instrumentals.

The less aggressive side of the album is made up of songs such as “California” and “Last Day”, the former track, with its slick guitars and “Woah-ohs”, possesses a perfect sound for this time of year, as spring is showing its face and summer is on the horizon.
The latter tune is a “Big Question” type of song, which finds the singer asking in a way, if it was your last day on Earth, how would you spend it? “What would you say?” “What would you do?” “Who would you hold onto?” are some of the other inquiries brought up throughout the song.

Just as the title track provided a fitting start to the record, Thick As Thieves closer “Southern Smile” is a perfect fit as the end of the record. The song is a mostly guitar-based confession to a certain someone, one that finds the singer simply stating “I scream you, but you don’t hear me. I dream you, but you don’t see me.”, quietly airing out his frustrations that the one he really wants, doesn’t notice him at all. Despite the song’s near five minute length (an eternity in the music world), as previously stated, it provides a fitting end to an album that has something for almost every rock fan, from top to bottom.

Recommended If You Likehard rock;Theory of a Deadman; The Veer Union

cavomusic.com
This review is a user submitted review from John_Barnes. You can see all of John_Barnes's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version