Username
Password
Thrice News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Thrice
Inside AP.net

Dustin Kensrue Records "John The...

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/04/12)
Dustin Kensrue recorded a version of "John The Revelator," grab it here and find out about how it came about here.

Submitted by Dlemert

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
10:51 PM on 04/04/12
Vandelay
One Small Instrument
User Info.
Beginning guitar reminds me of Image of the Invisible intro riff.
11:03 PM on 04/04/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
kinda cool, really short though
11:07 PM on 04/04/12
Robb
ism
User Info.
I know it's another old song, but my first reaction was still surprise at him covering that Depeche Mode song.
11:49 PM on 04/04/12
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.
Quote:
They threw it out to a couple of the worship directors asking for feedback. I threw off a couple ideas about how it could work, and they responded with, “That sounds great! When can you record it?” That’ll teach me to open my mouth.

Reminds me of the golden rule of church: Never volunteer for anything you don't want pressured to do for the rest of your time at that church. Give 'em your cloak, and they'll take your tunic, too.
12:09 AM on 04/05/12
themadsilentist
Believe.
User Info.
Kinda sad, I was expecting a full length cover. Dustin's voice could have suited that song so well without the full-choir gospel vibe.
01:48 AM on 04/05/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Gotta be honest I lost a lot of respect for Dustin when I found out he was involved with Mars Hill. That being said I don't know what his personal beliefs are and I hope he doesn't subscribe to the warped and sexist views of the chruch's founder.
04:11 AM on 04/05/12
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It won't download for me right now. Frustrated.
04:50 AM on 04/05/12
plyb
true progress
User Info.
Extremely short, sounds pretty cool though.
06:42 AM on 04/05/12
Greg
User Info.
Gotta be honest I lost a lot of respect for Dustin when I found out he was involved with Mars Hill. That being said I don't know what his personal beliefs are and I hope he doesn't subscribe to the warped and sexist views of the chruch's founder.

While Driscoll has a few random thoughts on certain subjects, overall his theology is solid and conservative in the Christian world. The warped views usually, I stress usually, fall to the liberals. I guess we could debate the sexist stuff, but if you hear what he has to say in context, I think it is all about honoring women, less so than degrading or lowering in any way.
07:05 AM on 04/05/12
Dlemert
User Info.
While Driscoll has a few random thoughts on certain subjects, overall his theology is solid and conservative in the Christian world. The warped views usually, I stress usually, fall to the liberals. I guess we could debate the sexist stuff, but if you hear what he has to say in context, I think it is all about honoring women, less so than degrading or lowering in any way.
Agreed. By no means do I think Driscoll views one sex over the other. Marsh Hill puts out a lot of resources and love for women who have gone through emotional and sexual abuse. They call it a "complimentary" view on gender, the view that men and women are for the most part good at different things, but are both of equal importance and humanity.
07:07 AM on 04/05/12
bluecrunchy
To shreds, you say.
User Info.
Really wish he would have recorded a full-length version of the song.
07:31 AM on 04/05/12
atticusfinch
Faith In More Than Steel
User Info.
This.

Driscoll is the freaking man. His Real Marriage book and conference were awesome! Been a hero of mine for a few years now.

Every time I hear more about Dustin Kensrue's involvement at Mars Hill, I get more and more excited. I think it's awesome that one of my favorite band members is now pastoring at a church as a Worship Leader. SO freaking cool.

He's supposed to be releasing an album this year, I believe.
08:52 AM on 04/05/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Beginning guitar reminds me of Image of the Invisible intro riff.
First thing I thought of as well. Very similar.
08:56 AM on 04/05/12
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
Agreed. By no means do I think Driscoll views one sex over the other. Marsh Hill puts out a lot of resources and love for women who have gone through emotional and sexual abuse. They call it a "complimentary" view on gender, the view that men and women are for the most part good at different things, but are both of equal importance and humanity.

So yr saying its a "separate but equal" kind of deal..?

I haven't looked into Mark other than a few articles and comments I've heard throughout the past few years. I did a little research into Discoll/Mars Hill after finding out that Dustin, the lead singer of my all-time favorite band, was involved with him/them so I have little room to critique but that is what your comment reminded me of. I have, however, seen him in a 'Nightline: Face Off' debate on the subject of "Does Satan Exist" on Youtube which I ran across several months ago and did not like his demeanor in much of the conversation.

I don't need a million people defending or agreeing with my rebuttal in this situation; I simply wanted to voice my immediate reaction to your response.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums