Password

Album Review

Dorsey - The Long Goodbye Album Cover

Dorsey - The Long Goodbye

Reviewed by
DorseyThe Long Goodbye
Record Label: None
Release Date: September 25, 2007
Dorsey are Arizona’s best kept secret. With their first release, The Long Goodbye, this band of young men barely out of their teens craft together elements of folk, rock, and pop with an expertise far beyond their ages would suggest. Though the labels may turn some listeners off, fans of The Format (who Dorsey fully embrace) should have no problems mixing genres and accepting vocalist John Rowland. He is instantly likeable on poppy tracks, especially “Fool for Believing”, and his talent is even more recognizable when he slows things down on “Strawberries and Peaches.” Guest contributor Jenn Horst also deserves credit for bolstering Rowland’s already impressive voice with her own background vocals on a select few tracks.

These songs have been thoroughly played out on my computer for weeks, and it would be easy to lapse into a detailed examination of what exactly makes each song special. For the sake of brevity, simply allow me to bring the focus to my latest love affair, the aforementioned “Strawberries and Peaches.” For such a lighthearted title, the song is so heavy. There’s a palpable denseness to the sound of it, starting with Rowland’s drawn out wailing and getting to the thick of it with guitarist Andy Othick’s toned down solo. This is one of the somber laments of the album, as it finds Rowland losing faith in his savior (‘The lord above will pick you up just to bring you down again’) and turning to anyone who can save him from his melancholy (‘Sweet devil take me home, I want to get back to my rose’).

Bands usually have a couple of albums under their belts before they attempt this amount of instrumental creativity. The trademark guitar, bass, and drums are all here, but they’re complimented by a diverse assortment of instruments, ranging from piano (used heartily) to organ. As “The Long Goodbye” slows to an interlude, saxophones and a clarinet sneak around the speakers before they take center stage and add a shot of life to the song. Horns are not something one would think of as a complete necessity, but it’s this kind of distinction and attention to detail that helps give each song on The Long Goodbye its own personality.

Now, imagery is not something I expect to come packaged with albums I listen to, but I’ll gladly accept it when it comes. A wonderful example of this grammatical tool is The Get Up Kid’s “Campfire Kansas”, a nostalgic journey with a sweeping paintbrush that creates a landscape of youth and innocence. Though Dorsey don’t particularly sound like the Kansas pioneers, the feeling of being in the hands of gifted storytellers is similar nonetheless. An upbeat track, “Heavens to Betsy”, recalls a memorable train ride, the perfect place to find new love and make a new path. And even with the lonely road wearing down on him, Rowland finds peace with strangers on “Follow Me.” It’s the perfect close to an album of more ups than downs, the story of camaraderie quickly established in the most unlikely places.

All these strangers have smiles on their faces / I’m not at home, but I don’t feel out of place / Anymore of this wandering is bound to set me back / I had better take a closer look at where I’m at.

I write with the knowledge that not enough people will read this review, and The Long Goodbye will not receive the attention it deserves. Irrelevant; I stand fast in my resolve. Dorsey is something to write home about, and though they’re relative unknowns at the moment, their sound is set to spread across the landscape.

Track Listing01. Lonesome as You Were
02. Fool for Believing *
03. Glory, Glory, Glory
04. The Long Goodbye *
05. Heavens to Betsy
06. Strawberries and Peaches *
07. Cold Winter
08. Spin the Wheel
09. Where the Good Folk Are
10. Won’t You Bring Me Home
11. Follow Me *

* = definitely download

Book Dorsey on Tour WithLimbeck, The Format, Steel Train, Wilco, Gin Blossoms

AP.net Profile | Official Site | MySpace (buy)
This review is a user submitted review from Adrian Villagomez. You can see all of Adrian Villagomez's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
11:07 PM on 10/01/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
two thumbs WAY UP!
11:17 PM on 10/01/07
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
Thanks so much, Blake. And I honestly think anyone and everyone should give these guys a shot.
08:29 AM on 10/02/07
TSLROCKS
Knicks 2016 World Champions!
User Info.
Thanks so much, Blake. And I honestly think anyone and everyone should give these guys a shot.

They're pretty good. They have the ability to really grow on me if i listen to them enough
09:41 AM on 10/02/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I'll probably download for the Wilco reference.

EDIT: Not on OINK but the myspace tracks are really cool. Sounds like a rougher less polished alt country sound. 92% seems a little generous though.

Anyone care to up this in MO or PM me?
Are you seriously asking for someone to send you an album in the review thread for that very album? Not smart.
09:43 AM on 10/02/07
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
I'll probably download for the Wilco reference.

EDIT: Not on OINK but the myspace tracks are really cool. Sounds like a rougher less polished alt country sound. 92% seems a little generous though.

Anyone care to up this in MO or PM me?
I could see this rating sliding from 85%-92%. It came at just the right time for me to earn a top score, and last.fm knows how much I've been spinning this album.

They're pretty good. They have the ability to really grow on me if i listen to them enough
Conclusion - listen to more Dorsey.
10:10 AM on 10/02/07
xllirikx
True Punk Fan
User Info.
i don't listen to bands unless the have at least 10000 views on myspace.
10:21 AM on 10/02/07
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
10:23 AM on 10/02/07
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
Great review man. I need to get hold of this album, anywhere I can download (buy) it?
11:24 AM on 10/02/07
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Great review, im really diggin. The song Fool For Believing is amazing.
11:33 AM on 10/02/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Adrian loves this band so much.
11:43 AM on 10/02/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.

get a life..

on a side note, I've been digging this band since the self-promotion thing.

awesome write up adrian. hope i can top this in my next write up :-D
11:55 AM on 10/02/07
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
Great review man. I need to get hold of this album, anywhere I can download (buy) it?
I'm talking to the guys about it. I'll get back to you tonight.

Great review, im really diggin. The song Fool For Believing is amazing.
Thanks for reading!

Adrian loves this band so much.
They love you too. Andy Othick is such a big fan of your Hanson interview, he wants to send you a free album. Sound good?

get a life..

on a side note, I've been digging this band since the self-promotion thing.

awesome write up adrian. hope i can top this in my next write up :-D
Found them on the spotlight? Awesome.

And anyone can top my writing, haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums