Password

Album Review

Municipal Waste - Fatal Feast Album Cover

Municipal Waste - Fatal Feast

Reviewed by
Municipal Waste - The Fatal Feast
Record Label: Nuclear Blast
Release Date: April 10, 2012
Some things never change. Like a particular favorite dish from a favorite restaurant or a choice beverage, some things are always there, always reliable; never disappointing. Thrash-punk golden boys Municipal Waste are one such example. Record after record, song after song, the Richmond Virginia metal outfit has consistently churned out short and to the point metal jams, all delivered with tongue firmly inserted in cheek. From humorous tales of binge drinking to horror themed tales of death and destruction, Municipal Waste are the premiere torch-bearers of contemporary crossover thrash.

From the onset, The Fatal Feast is the same old Municipal Waste fans have come to know and love and, frankly, expect. No odd experimentations, no frills, no muss, no fuss. Just moshpit-primed metal madness cranked up to eleven and ready for consumption. The riffs are as fun and as crunching as always, backed by pummeling drum and bass support. The album kicks off with perhaps the oddest moment in the Municipal Waste canon yet, the instrumental intro track "Waste In Space (Main Title)". No guitars or bass or even conventional instrumentation is present, being replaced with ambient sound effects and tense synth atmospherics. It's almost enough to make one stop and wonder if the following tracks will be something new and unusual. But as soon as the track ends and transitions directly into the album's first proper song, all doubt is washed away as the band kicks things into gear with "Repossession", a dose of the sort of breakneck speed D.R.I.-informed thrash that defines Municipal Waste's sound. It's nothing new but why should it be? This is a band that has built their career on a tried and true formula that has earned them a spot among the upper echelon of metal in minds of many.

This however is not to say that the album is a portrait of a band that has reached stagnancy. There is still the same amount of excitement and passion within the music here as with any previous release. In fact the band's trademark sense of humor is a little more present than on the previous release, 2009's Massive Aggressive. It's clear that the band had a blast recording the album and that sense of humor and reckless abandon keeps things fresh and invigorating. So often are bands such as Municipal Waste accused of making the same record over and over again and to a degree such accusations are true, but, when the music is this good, when it's this fun, does it really matter? I know I'm not alone in saying that The Fatal Feast is another fine release from one of the current metal scene's premiere thrash outfits, one that is sure to please fans both new and old. Party on, Municipal Waste.

Recommended if You Like:D.R.I.'s Crossover; Gama Bomb's Tales From The Grave In Space; Toxic Holocaust's An Overdose of Death

http://www.facethewaste.com/
This review is a user submitted review from CellarGhosts. You can see all of CellarGhosts's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:40 AM on 04/15/12
Moses Malone
And nothing of value was lost
User Info.
This review has made me give neo-thrash a chance.
06:39 AM on 05/03/12
njiata603
http://greatbigchoruses.tumblr.c om/
User Info.
I like this record a lot. It's pretty much all the best parts of the Waste, lyrically and musically. Can't wait for the split with Toxic Holocaust.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos