Password

Album Review

Job For A Cowboy - Demonocracy Album Cover

Job For A Cowboy - Demonocracy

Reviewed by
Job For A Cowboy - Demonocracy
Record Label: Metal Blade Records
Release Date: April 10, 2012
It often becomes cool or hip to hate a band. Other times it becomes more of an obligation. In the case of death metal group Job For a Cowboy, an argument could certainly be made for the former but it's the latter mindset that feels more applicable. Ever since the band's 2005 Doom EP helped to popularize the then-budding deathcore genre, the band has been the target of ridicule and scorn from metal purists the world over. Even the band's musical 180 with their debut full length Genesis did little to stop the detractors for at that point the damage was already done. Job For a Cowboy were the enemy. One of the principle parties responsible for the mass influx of uninspired deathcore bands over-saturating the metal community. Sure, the band's post-Doom output was nothing revolutionary but it was nonetheless a welcome development in sound and technical skill following such unremarkable beginnings. Despite there being a considerable amount of true ire directed at the band, much of the hate seemed to come more from a place of mere obligation than true abhorrence.

Sometimes things change. In 2011 the band released Gloom, an EP that managed to catch the attention of even some of the most staunch critics. The musicianship was more or less on par with the band's previous two releases but there was a more apparent sense of direction. Of course, it's difficult to win everybody over but just the same, some began to reconsider their stance on Job For a Cowboy. Now we come to Demonocracy. Job For a Cowboy have amped up their strengths and fine-tuned their sound to one of blistering death metal precision. And even more so than before, people are taking notice. The musicianship boasts a much more technical aspect than ever before, with complex musical arrangements that proves the band are in fact a competent group of musicians who take what they do seriously. No deathcore gimmicks here, just a band firmly invested in their craft.

"Nourishment Through Bloodshed" is one of the strongest tracks that Job For a Cowboy has penned to date, the acrobatic guitar solos and fiery fretwork shining like never before. "Tongueless and Bound" is another choice cut that builds on a frantic uncertainty while "Black Discharge" showcases the breadth of technical skill the band possesses. But for all the improvements made on Demonocracy there are still weak points. "The Deity Misconception" is a fairly forgettable track that never really goes anywhere and instead sees the band regressing a bit in terms of style over substance. Still there is nothing truly glaring to be found here, and long time fans are sure to enjoy what Job For a Cowboy has to offer this time around. It may not win over everybody but anyone previously on the fence about Job For a Cowboy would do well to give the album a fair listen as it is a considerable step forward. One can only hope they continue to push themselves and hone their abilities on future albums as they are most certainly on the right path with Demonocracy.

Recommended if You Like:The Black Dahlia Murder's Nocturnal; Despised Icon's The Healing Process; As Blood Runs Black's Allegiance

http://www.myspace.com/jobforacowboy
This review is a user submitted review from CellarGhosts. You can see all of CellarGhosts's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
04:46 AM on 04/20/12
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
Definitely agree with the part about people feeling obligated to hate them. I haven't heard this and I've never really been a fan of theirs, but I've never gotten why people hate them so much in particular either. Good review anyway.
03:19 PM on 04/27/12
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
I have always mildly enjoyed them, but nothing special, I will check this out though.
03:22 PM on 04/27/12
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Definitely agree with the part about people feeling obligated to hate them. I haven't heard this and I've never really been a fan of theirs, but I've never gotten why people hate them so much in particular either. Good review anyway.
thank you sir!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version