Password

06:10 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Mostly intrigue for me at this point.

Press ReleaseEXCLUSIVE: A hot event drama project is hitting the cable marketplace. Written by Nic Pizzolatto, the eight-part series has Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson attached to star and Cary Fukunaga (Jane Eyre) to direct all 8 episodes. Titled True Detective, it is descried as an elevated serial narrative with multiple perspectives and time frames. It centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide and entwine during a seventeen-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana. The investigation of a bizarre murder in 1995 is framed and interlaced with testimony from the detectives in 2012, when the case has been reopened. The concept is for the 8-episode first season to resolve the mystery at hand, with subsequent seasons using same structure but new characters and story. I hear that, in addition to the assembled team of a writer, director and stars, the pitch for True Detective includes two written episodes and a bible. Anonymous Content, which manages both Pizzolatto and Fukunaga, developed the project in-house and is producing. Anonymousí Richard Brown, Steve Golin and Bard Dorros are executive producing with Pizzolatto and Fukunaga.

This could go either way. The Killing writer makes me wary, but I love both the actors, plus the anthology style could save it from becoming too stale. Obviously not a lot of details yet, but expect a network announcement within the next few weeks.
06:25 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
motorcadeau
we are building a religion
I'll check this out just for Harrelson.
06:28 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
Smash Adams
Ain't no thing like me, except me
Long Island
Male - 26 Years Old
McConaughey's comeback starting with Lincoln Lawyer is awesome, well the other movies haven't come out yet but sound more promising than Failure To Launch
06:29 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
McConaughey's comeback starting with Lincoln Lawyer is awesome, well the other movies haven't come out yet but sound more promising than Failure To Launch

I completely agree. He's also doing that super fucking dark movie that I remember no details on.
06:33 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
Upstate New York
Male - 25 Years Old
Fukunaga is quickly becoming one of the most interesting directors around. This sounds like a great project, especially based on the fact that it's an 8 episode series that takes place over 18 years. Woody Harrelson, however, remains one of the most uninteresting and overrated actors out there and his very name being attached to this bums me out. I do echo the sentiments that McConaughey's comeback is pretty rad. Can't wait to see him in this or Killer Joe.
06:34 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Fukunaga is quickly becoming one of the most interesting directors around. This sounds like a great project, especially based on the fact that it's an 8 episode series that takes place over 18 years. Woody Harrelson, however, remains one of the most uninteresting and overrated actors out there and his very name being attached to this bums me out. I do echo the sentiments that McConaughey's comeback is pretty rad. Can't wait to see him in this or Killer Joe.

Killer Joe, that's what I was thinking of. Also, I disagree completely with your thoughts on Harrelson. Sure, he's kind of a tool offscreen, and he picked up a large amount of career steam after Zombieland, but the projects he's picked since then have been consistently great. Both The Messenger and Rampart garnered him worthy acclaim.
06:39 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
Upstate New York
Male - 25 Years Old
Killer Joe, that's what I was thinking of. Also, I disagree completely with your thoughts on Harrelson. Sure, he's kind of a tool offscreen, and he picked up a large amount of career steam after Zombieland, but the projects he's picked since then have been consistently great. Both The Messenger and Rampart garnered him worthy acclaim.

I certainly don't think he's a bad actor, but some performers just don't have a strong enough presence to embody characters. He's one of them. I remain the only person who didn't sing the praises of The Messenger, it seems. I thought Samantha Morton was great in it but I find Ben Foster to be a terrible actor and I found Woody quite uneven in it. Rampart, on the other hand, is just a terrible film. I didn't understand the praise for that film at all. We've seen great crooked cop dramas made by better artists and Rampart almost seemed like a satire of them. My mind was blown as I watched because I couldn't believe that the intentions of the film were not to parody. I think Oren Moverman is the worst of this new school of independent directors that are quickly rising to prominence. On the other hand, I think Cary Fukunaga is one of the most interesting so maybe he'll pull something out of Harrelson I've never really noticed.
06:44 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
motorcadeau
I certainly don't think he's a bad actor, but some performers just don't have a strong enough presence to embody characters. He's one of them. I remain the only person who didn't sing the praises of The Messenger, it seems. I thought Samantha Morton was great in it but I find Ben Foster to be a terrible actor and I found Woody quite uneven in it. Rampart, on the other hand, is just a terrible film. I didn't understand the praise for that film at all. We've seen great crooked cop dramas made by better artists and Rampart almost seemed like a satire of them. My mind was blown as I watched because I couldn't believe that the intentions of the film were not to parody. I think Oren Moverman is the worst of this new school of independent directors that are quickly rising to prominence. On the other hand, I think Cary Fukunaga is one of the most interesting so maybe he'll pull something out of Harrelson I've never really noticed.
That's almost worse than saying you don't care for Woody Harrelson, haha. Really though, I think Foster has a good amount of talent, and I think Woody is likeable to the point that his character acting doesn't matter, but I can see how people wouldn't dig either of them.
06:46 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
Upstate New York
Male - 25 Years Old
That's almost worse than saying you don't care for Woody Harrelson, haha. Really though, I think Foster has a good amount of talent, and I think Woody is likeable to the point that his character acting doesn't matter, but I can see how people wouldn't dig either of them.

Ben Foster needs to tone it down fourteen notches. Eh, always felt Woody as a person was very unlikeable so I tried not to let his personality influence my opinion on his acting.
06:51 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
motorcadeau
Ben Foster needs to tone it down fourteen notches. Eh, always felt Woody as a person was very unlikeable so I tried not to let his personality influence my opinion on his acting.
Foster is definitely, um...intense. I think that's why I like him actually.
06:53 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
Upstate New York
Male - 25 Years Old
Foster is definitely, um...intense. I think that's why I like him actually.

If he knew when to channel it he might be tolerable, but he's worse than Sean Penn. Maybe he should play a giddy day politician so I can warm up to him.
08:05 PM on 04/10/12 
User Info.
bladerdude360
saved latin. What did you ever do?
Champaign-Urbana,...
Male - 23 Years Old
Sounds interesting.
06:21 PM on 04/11/12 
User Info.
ImTheSheriff
///
Male - 25 Years Old
Originally Posted by DickfaceChillah;106143702[B
]Ben Foster needs to tone it down fourteen notches[/b]. Eh, always felt Woody as a person was very unlikeable so I tried not to let his personality influence my opinion on his acting.

i lol'd
06:28 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Picked up by HBO. Stoked on it. Straight to series, 8-episode first season.
08:37 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
8SlicesOfPie
http://dwhb.bandcamp.com
Austin, TX
Male - 22 Years Old
Sounds interesting. I like the 8-episode structure of it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos