AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Barnett, Jimmy - I Hate the Fall Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Barnett, Jimmy - I Hate the Fall

Reviewed by: tm decomposer (10/05/07)
Jimmy Barnett - I Hate the Fall
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 2007

I like to label myself an open listener. I’ll give any band or artist a chance, whether they’re the most played band on MySpace, or barely have 1,000 friends. I’d like you to meet Jimmy Barnett, a solo, acoustic human trying to make an indent in the music industry.

I Hate the Fall consists of 14 acoustic songs. Though now a full band, this is just Barnett acoustic. To open the album, he delivers the song “I'm Sorry.” Right away, the song shows striving acoustic riffs with catchy vocals. When I first listened, I thought the whole album was going to be a Dashboard Confessional influenced album. But surely, my ears were fooled. “Head Over Heels (Mankato)” is another fantastic song illustrating resemblance of a younger Jimmy Adkins of Jimmy Eat World. Very smooth, passionate lyrics.

As I continued to listen, I came across the song “The Father, The Ex," a song that sounds like it was left off Ryan Adam’s Easy Tiger. It's my favorite song of the album because of how it is different compared to every other song. Barnett mixes some southern rock guitar with beautiful female vocals to the song.

What can I do to make you know that I still love you?/ I'll work each day and pray that you let me hold me little baby

The last segment of the album is more of the slower tunes. “It's Over Now” sounds like something you would be listening to next to the campfire, this time bringing comparisons to a acoustic Ace Enders. “Two Proms and a Prom Dress Later, We Still Weren't Having Any Fun” showcases the many talents he holds. Adding beautiful piano and soft vocals, the album ends off with the song “Until Then.”

Overall, this is a very good debut album. At times, the album lacks difference, however, you barely realize this because of how Jimmy Barnett uses different methods with instruments to change the sounds in some songs. I Hate the Fall is an above par album. If you like acoustic music, I highly suggest checking Barnett's music out.

For Fans OfDashboard Confessional, Ryan Adams, Owen, acoustic music

Don't Take My Word for ItMySpace

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums