Password

Album Review
Foxhole - Push/Pull Album Cover

Foxhole - Push/Pull

Reviewed by
Foxhole - Push/Pull
Released January 9th, 2007
Burnt Toast Vinyl

What passes? What mutters? What dies? What ascends? Who is in my head and what do they intend to do? Why, with newly born gusts of cathartically wayward winds stuck in seasonal transitory, am I so warm and when did it become such a timely process to articulate these questions that've been burning through my skull all these minutes? These laws of motion do not pertain to the psyche yet I feel so inanimately strung over century old bearings that are only just now making sense. My mind is a canvas for errant deconstruction, unbidden reconstruction, and serene destruction. Compromising with the Push and the Pull of hot sex, firefights, steamy shower bathing, or salsa dancing begets the appropriate response. But somehow this new force is oddly uncompromisable; innately tormented commentary through the subtle discordance and rupture of an underwater panorama. It dilutes the room around me as if the prospect of death through unrivaled beauty could bend space and time; graceful and uninterruptedly.

Salvation rears and chokes this Push/Pull until the air supply between myself and these emotions, this religious experience, leaves me quaking to the realness of Foxhole. Lonely deaths and miraculous resurgences of hope manifest themselves in every instrumental nuance; tugging and straining the idea that no human voice is heard here, yet at the same time making it clear that trips to the moon can, in fact, be unmanned (per se). Trumpets cry and squirm throughout this Push/Pull, but itís their fractured tenor that validates their purpose in being a reminder that not all is perfectly composed when hopelessly sinking in a chime-y mist of harmony. Peaks are formed and crescendos glaze them with twinkly, often dwelling, melodies; some of the most jarring song arrangements I've yet to hear rolling off the tongue as if this is all just second-nature and no one is really getting hurt in the process.

It reads like a novella yet matter-of-factly sticks to a shade reserved for an epic. It blends contemporary instrumental reconsiderations with the grandeur and confidence of old sea tales that dustily made appearances in pubs over a century ago. Crashing waves and choppy regrets filter through a glorious dissonance between the earnestness of the instrumentation and the unabashed static often made the focal point of the song by the whim of brilliant production. What passes? What mutters? What dies? What ascends? Questions so general are all too specific in the context of the Push/Pull and what may remain unanswered is what gives it a beautiful mystery and flighty circumstance.
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
08:10 AM on 10/06/07
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
wow-- very sophisticated and well written review-- makes me want to take a listen
08:15 AM on 10/06/07
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
User Info.
This is good stuff, analogous to the aesthetic of my recent reviews for DecoyMusic. I especially like the opening phrases and ending repetition.
09:19 AM on 10/06/07
absolutecrunk
wears leggings as pants
User Info.
holy crap my dictionary exploded.

yowza, what a review.
10:09 AM on 10/06/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I am so glad you finally posted this, I have been waiting to read it for awhile after you told me how good it was haha. Besides that I would just like to say holy shit that review was incredible and in my opinion one of the best you have done. Keep up the good work buddy, and I look forward to the other review you are planning
03:03 PM on 10/06/07
xmarksthespot
breadtangle of pizza
User Info.
great review, first off.
i got this off of ruckus a couple months ago.
such an excellent cd.
06:10 PM on 10/06/07
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
Scott Irvine's hot because he is fly.
12:01 PM on 10/07/07
duffe
_________________________ _____
User Info.
good ep, nice review.
09:11 AM on 10/09/07
Wesley Thomas
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
thanks for taking the time to review. these guys, along with several other acts of quality, will be appearing on the music compilation disc that will be sold with the murkville children's book. check out myspace.com/murkvillemusic for details.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos