AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Facebook News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Randy Nichols Calls Out Monolith Management

Posted by - 10:14 AM on 04/13/12
Been getting a lot of messages about a "management" company called Monolith Management that's been charging bands to be part of their management roster. Randy Nichols (Force MM) recently called them out on Facebook, which has led to a really interesting thread with stories from bands that got screwed, other managers, etc. It's an interesting learning experience that everyone would be wise to read through.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 51
10:23 AM on 04/13/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
We've been getting some emails about that, says its under Matchless Records or something.

Of course, we've been ignoring them and I'd advise any other bands to do as well. Total sketch. Don't ever pay management like they ask (they say there's different packages for different prices) for any management really... That's not how bands pay managers.
10:27 AM on 04/13/12
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
I've heard a little about this thing. Can anyone give me any info?
10:34 AM on 04/13/12
JosephMarro
Hellogoodbye / Joseph
User Info.
this is a joke. it's no surprise that all of their "clients" are pretty much identical in both appearance and genre. it's so they can blanket apply whatever connections and hook-ups they have across the board regardless of band.

artist management is always changing and needs to be tailored to every artist individually. this fast-food styled, value meal management approach is insulting as a band member and manager.
10:37 AM on 04/13/12
DannyCostellar
Costellar / Danny
User Info.
Yeah, they hit up my band Costellar about it about a couple months ago. Good thing I turned them down, it seemed super sketch. Guess my instincts were right.
First of all, we're not a really reputable band ever. We've only played a handful of shows outside our hometown, in the past 5 months or so that we've been playing shows. And they hit us up out of nowhere offering what, on paper, seemed like a fairly legitimate management offer. Until they got to the financial details and it's like, "oh yeah, you have to pay us a flat rate of $200 monthly." I'm kind of new to the industry but I know enough about it to know that's NOT how managers are paid. I talked to the other bands that were on their website and they all were like, "they really don't do anything for you. Everything they could do, all the 'industry contacts' they can hook you up with, can be accessed yourself just via google."

Take my advice, fellow band members... if you're approached by a management company asking for a flat rate, they're probably bogus. As this experience has shown my own band and myself.
10:47 AM on 04/13/12
emoishardcore
emoishardcore
User Info.
As bogus as it all seems, gotta give them credit for putting up a decent webpage.

Anyone near Salt Lake ever drive near there just to see if the fake company at least has a real head quarters?
10:50 AM on 04/13/12
seanthethief
User Info.
this is a joke. it's no surprise that all of their "clients" are pretty much identical in both appearance and genre. it's so they can blanket apply whatever connections and hook-ups they have across the board regardless of band.

artist management is always changing and needs to be tailored to every artist individually. this fast-food styled, value meal management approach is insulting as a band member and manager.
I've had this conversation with a lot of my friends in other bands, some of them still fall into this trap. I guess when you're a local band with no real prospects, this sounds awesome.

I really REALLY wish bands knew that you don't pay a flat fee for management. You just don't do it, unless you're making enough each month that a flat fee ends up being a better deal for you.
10:54 AM on 04/13/12
Andy Young
@YayItsAndy
User Info.
If you read through the comments Randy had a talk with the owner of the company who is just a fresh out of college kid starting up his own management company. Randy being the experienced veteran made some suggestions that the kid said he really took to heart and plans on doing things a little differently.

I feel bad for the kid getting beat up so bad by the few different websites I have seen this on. He's just really getting a start and getting a feel for the business. He doesn't seem to be this money hungry monster that people instantly paint him out to be. Cut him a little slack.

He seems to have a solid plan down aside from the monthly fee it's no different than most other companies. Unfortunately that is definitely where he went wrong.
10:59 AM on 04/13/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you read through the comments Randy had a talk with the owner of the company who is just a fresh out of college kid starting up his own management company. Randy being the experienced veteran made some suggestions that the kid said he really took to heart and plans on doing things a little differently.

I feel bad for the kid getting beat up so bad by the few different websites I have seen this on. He's just really getting a start and getting a feel for the business. He doesn't seem to be this money hungry monster that people instantly paint him out to be. Cut him a little slack.

He seems to have a solid plan down aside from the monthly fee it's no different than most other companies. Unfortunately that is definitely where he went wrong.

It's not about being money hungry or whatever, it's scamming bands into paying a pretty large fee and really getting absolutely nothing in return. There's no "slack" to cut someone when you're a band trying to branch out; working with this group doesn't seem to have any benefit, and actually hurts the artists.
11:07 AM on 04/13/12
Andy Young
@YayItsAndy
User Info.
It's not about being money hungry or whatever, it's scamming bands into paying a pretty large fee and really getting absolutely nothing in return. There's no "slack" to cut someone when you're a band trying to branch out; working with this group doesn't seem to have any benefit, and actually hurts the artists.
I get that. And if he really does nothing for the bands he represents thats the beauty of what it says right there on the website, they don't sign contracts. So if they suck those bands aren't trapped into anything longer than the month following their monthly payment I would assume.

I'm not going to jump on their business practices or the quality of them, because I don't know the first thing about the company. I guess all I'm saying is if it wasn't for that ridiculous monthly fee, I don't think any of this discussion would even be happening.
11:12 AM on 04/13/12
TSLManager
User Info.
I did speak to their founder today and gave him some advice for how to shape this company in a legitimate fashion. I honestly has me thinking of so many cool ideas that could be done. This guy has some brilliant ideas and his company is very well presented BUT in it's current form it's very predatory.

I told him if he really does make the changes needed to be fair I'd even help him a bit. I hate to see scams taking advantage of people wanting to get ahead fast. I hope shinning a light on this educates a few bands and changes this into a fair business.
11:14 AM on 04/13/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.

11:41 AM on 04/13/12
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
they're doing a pretty terrible job because not one of their bands has amounted to anything. haven't heard of any of them
12:08 PM on 04/13/12
musicmakesme
@Clare_OShea
User Info.
After reading through the thread (thanks for posting this by the way, learnt a lot!) I think one of the most important points was that because it's more of a service - flat fee straight away - than an investment, there isn't the same sort of relationship that would be established in a normal management situation. One of the managers working for the company had problems getting the artwork, promo stuff etc from a band, but (as someone pointed out) if they'd met in person beforehand and spent time together instead of a one-size-fits-all approach, they would have ascertained that the band didn't have all their materials together or wasn't ready to even have a manger - of course, that's assuming that things really did go down in the way the manager explained. Personally, I think a manager is unnecessary until your band is successful enough to be entering important contracts with labels or people booking you large tours.

In the thread Randy more or less summed up how I feel about it
Quote:
The whole concept is that you all starve together and then enjoy the winnings together. Are you really going to give 60+ hours a week to band blowing up who is paying you $200 a week? The whole model is flawed even if its done with good intentions it ultimately isnt good for you or the act.
12:31 PM on 04/13/12
Rae_undid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just an FYI - Randy Nichols is a 27 year old kid trying to make a living in the music industry with a few acts, and very much NOT a veteran. He is posting hatred to another company to fuel his own business app and websites (see the posts it is kinda hilarious) in this he is clever in getting some interesting people in the music industry exposed to his own agenda and ideas. I can't believe nobody else has seen this. Chris Kilbourn is a former artist himself and is aware of the way managers work. Because he saw a way to help bands people are giving him nothing but crap! What the hell?!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos