Username
Password

09:38 PM on 04/17/12 
User Info.
AlkalineAshes
bored and lazy
so cal
Male - 29 Years Old
I think this may be an accurate generalization.

I think here's a clear cut situation when it doesn't work: when one person still has feelings for the other and tries to use friendship as a way to keep one foot in the door.
hmm but is it an idea that the guy can still sleep with the girl vs wanting a relationship again... thats is the question
09:45 PM on 04/17/12 
User Info.
danceIANdance
Male - 23 Years Old
Just depends on the situation. I dated a girl for three years and while it took a while to be able to talk without having sex after we broke up, we eventually got past it. It doesn't help that her brother is my best friend, and her sister ended up marrying my brother, it sorta made it so we have to deal with each other every once and a while, but i think if you work at it, friendship is possible.
09:56 PM on 04/17/12 
User Info.
eisforaccidnt
Massachusetts
Female - 22 Years Old
My ex broke up with me to get back together with his ex. Despite everything I still wanted to try to be friends, and he said he did too. We still text a lot but have yet to hang out despite numerous efforts on my part, but he hasn't even tried and it's only lead to disappointment. I think it could work if you both put in the effort and try to maintain a friendship, but in my case I'm the only one trying and it's going nowhere.
11:07 PM on 04/17/12 
User Info.
maxl92
Hamilton, Ohio
Male - 22 Years Old
It's funny that I saw this thread tonight, because I just pissed off the only ex I still ever have contact with haha. Make one joke about your friends wanting to see her boobs and you get deleted from Facebook and start getting calls late at night from an unknown number.

I suppose the moral of they story, OP, is don't date girls with no sense of humor. Or at least don't break up with them.
11:16 PM on 04/17/12 
User Info.
AlkalineAshes
bored and lazy
so cal
Male - 29 Years Old
My ex broke up with me to get back together with his ex. Despite everything I still wanted to try to be friends, and he said he did too. We still text a lot but have yet to hang out despite numerous efforts on my part, but he hasn't even tried and it's only lead to disappointment. I think it could work if you both put in the effort and try to maintain a friendship, but in my case I'm the only one trying and it's going nowhere.
poor girl...ive felt this way before, but i still loved her... im guessing you do too
11:17 PM on 04/17/12 
User Info.
AlkalineAshes
bored and lazy
so cal
Male - 29 Years Old
Just depends on the situation. I dated a girl for three years and while it took a while to be able to talk without having sex after we broke up, we eventually got past it. It doesn't help that her brother is my best friend, and her sister ended up marrying my brother, it sorta made it so we have to deal with each other every once and a while, but i think if you work at it, friendship is possible.
wow thats just way too much to take in...i guess ya it kinda forced you to be civil and then friends with each other
08:15 AM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
Alison1488
____
Female - 26 Years Old
I tried to be friends with an ex for his sake because I don't believe in it at all. Everytime I tried to take a break, he gave me the biggest guilt trip for trying to have some space, and then would turn around and cut me off. I don't need that shit in my life. The time away has only opened my eyes and shown me that the relationship wasn't good and he wasn't even that great of a friend to me, on the barest level. I'm not even going to bother. I have the friends I need.
08:49 AM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I haven't talked to my ex since we broke up. She wanted to stay in contact and still talk with each other. In my experience it boils down to how important the relationship was to said person. I just don't want to be around her, she seemed to have moved on a lot easier/faster.
09:11 AM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
AlkalineAshes
bored and lazy
so cal
Male - 29 Years Old
Hahaha no but I might as well be. (:

Ugh been there, done that. Also, I was kind of seriously dating this one guy, and then he randomly just stopped talking to me for literally no reason. He was like ' I love you' then legitimately five minutes later he texted me basically like: 'okay bye forever.' It really screwed with me for months. Haven't heard from him since but I ran into him a few months later and he completely ignored my existence. It was pretty freaking awkward under the circumstances too (the room wasn't THAT big and I caught him staring at me too many times).
hmm ya sounds kinda emo-dark brooding type? oh is the guy ur dating an asshole? that would b kinda funny just bein like ya i love that asshole
09:21 AM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
punkcrap
a stupid fuck with brilliant luck.
Brazil
Male - 24 Years Old
Forget it. Never works. I've been doing this for the last 3 years and thought it worked just fine, but ex-couples deserve to be far away from each other. Put a closure on it.
12:25 PM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
Seattle
Male
There has to be some rule of thumb for the amount of time required to pass before you should even try being friends, like half the amount of time you were together plus 7 months or something. Then again, I guess it really depends on the circumstances of the breakup.

I ended things with my ex about a year ago and we maintained contact for a few months, but half of those interactions were good enough to make me worry I'd made a mistake, while the other half were so awful and angry that I was reminded of how shitty things were. Anyway, we haven't talked in 5 months. It seems cutting those ties altogether is the only way to really let go of the relationship. Maybe we'll be able to be friends down the road, but that won't be for several years.
12:37 PM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
_bluestOCT
Are you my trouble?
New Jersey
Female - 21 Years Old
I don't have much relationship experience at all, but it is a hope of mine to maintain friendship, whether it be very distant, or still relatively close, after a break up. Sad that it's probably not possible, but a girl can dream.
12:56 PM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
PuxRawkPrincess
There's No Shepard Without Vakarian
Salisbury, NC
Female - 26 Years Old
Like it was said, I think it all depends on the relationship, how long you were together and how it ended. I tried it once and he literally ruined every relationship I had after him until I totally cut him out for my current bf and it was the best choice I made. He was toxic in my life and it took a good guy to realize he wasn't worth it.
04:15 PM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
hellogorgeous
two up two down
Female - 27 Years Old
I'm still pretty close with one of mine, but our relationship was never mushy and we didn't end things horribly..we were just better as friends.
06:22 PM on 04/18/12 
User Info.
corrupt_rocker
infinite.
Jersey
Female
Just became friends with my most recent ex, I'm tempted to ask for sex but I feel like it would complicate the friendship. Who knows, maybe soon I'll get drunk enough to have the courage to ask.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos