AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Generation Gap: Pop-Punk Has Become Timeless.

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/18/12)
After talking with Zack from POZ about the differences between today's pop-punk wave and the bands from a few years ago, it got me thinking about all the bands that went unnoticed. Sure, bands like Blink-182 and Sum 41 were blowing up ... but do you remember Dogwood? What about Much The Same? I convinced Zack to check out Slick Shoes (to a positive response) -- so I figured I might as well put together a full on playlist of a bunch of stuff I could think of from around that timeframe. You can check that out in the replies ... sometimes something old, is something new. Along with that, I had Zack help me put together a playlist for the "nu-pop-punk" bands that we've got in this current pop-punk is not dead/defend pop-punk/zombie pop-punk era of the genre. So, we've also included that playlist below as well. I've spent the morning listening to where things were, to where they are -- do you think the mantle's been sufficiently passed? Are bands like The Wonder Years and The Story So Far poised to be a new generation's Fall Out Boy and New Found Glory who were themselves a different generation's NoFX and Lagwagon?

Disclaimer: *Pop-punkish. The genre can cover a wide variety of things it seems ... so, I'm using it as a broad term. I'm also aware I probably forgot a million bands, so maybe I'll do a follow-up later on. Oh, and I tossed some uber-popular ones at the bottom of the playlist, cause I assumed everyone knew about them.

Update: Check out Zack's post on this topic here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 311.
12:05 PM on 04/18/12
Jason Tate
User Info.

12:09 PM on 04/18/12
LivingTheLyrics
What you feel will rarely rhyme.
User Info.
This fucking rules, Jason.
12:12 PM on 04/18/12
Noodlemane
User Info.
I loved that one Dogwood song with the Independence Day quote in the middle. That band ruled. Both of these lists are awesome, and the second is basically my Itunes
12:14 PM on 04/18/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
no Latterman, no Daggermouth, no Spraynard, smh
I may have been close to that 2005 year with a few of the stuff on that list ... but most of it was before 2005 ... which was when Latterman was being awesome.

Fuck it, I'll toss it on the end.
12:15 PM on 04/18/12
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
The Dangerous Summer have been the only "new" pop punk band to release a record I really loved in the last three/four years, which bums me out because the genre was my absolute favorite growing up. But most of these newer bands just don't really speak to me the same way blink, NFG, Yellowcard, Sum 41's first two albums, Fall Out Boy and Green Day did.
12:18 PM on 04/18/12
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
Jason's playlist is a huge blast from the past, I'd forgotten a lot of these tracks. Wow, that's fun to listen to.
12:20 PM on 04/18/12
mms13
User Info.
Lets just say I still listen to most of those songs on the 'Older' playlist. Haven't even heard of most of the 'Nu' bands other than The Wonder Years and Fireworks.
12:21 PM on 04/18/12
cody_rosebalm
User Info.
I love the "nu-pop-punk" era. There are so many good bands out there that are really bringing the genre back. The old pop-punk era was really good too. I love listening to albums from the early 2000s and hearing the rawness of the records. Stuff like NFG's self-titled was awesome. All in all, I loved it back then when I was growing up, I love it now and I always will.
12:22 PM on 04/18/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Jason's playlist is a huge blast from the past, I'd forgotten a lot of these tracks. Wow, that's fun to listen to.
Hahaha, seriously. I've got it on right now ... I hadn't heard most of them in - years - got so caught up in the "new stuff coming out." Haha, but talking with Zack about all of it got me spinning all of these.
12:23 PM on 04/18/12
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
My first favorite punk-pop band was The Offspring.

My latest favorite punk-pop band is Crucial Dudes.

In between, I think the standouts are the ones who managed to bring something special to the table. I'm not including bands with just a few punk-pop records to their name (such as Brand New, Something Corporate, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Motion City Sountrack).

Lifetime - one of the better bands to introduce the punk-hardcore element into their music

Saves the Day - probably the best Lifetime ripoff-turned-own style band

Yellowcard - perfect beach/summer music; violin is awesome

Latterman - fun music with a solid mix of punk-pop/hardcore-punk

Daggermouth - fun music with a solid mix of punk-pop/hardcore-punk

Set Your Goals - the perfect mix of hardcore-punk ideas mixed with poppy tunes

New Found Glory - the little bits of hardcore-punk mixed in with their desire to sound big and poppy really works

blink-182 - the perfect mix of party and punk-pop; drumming is awesome

Lagwagon - one of the more well-written punk-pop bands; lyrically and musically interesting

The Swellers - brutally honest punk-pop and one of the more well-written punk-pop bands; lyrically and musically interesting; love the Detroit spin on things

Piebald - a different take on vocals and songwriting; great

Fairweather - they dropped the punk-pop sound on their sophomore (and final) record, but the debut is a blueprint for the genre that too few take advice from

Bigwig - especially on their last record, the metal influence into their sound is awesome

Millencolin - fun and fast with a smarter-than-you-think lyrical approach

Kid Dynamite - fast with just the right amount of punk-pop tossed in

Based on my thoughts about what punk-pop bands are "the best of the best", do you think I'm missing anyone? Is there anything you'd recommend?
12:23 PM on 04/18/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Really, really rad to see this posted up here today! Being a child of the Epitaph/Fat Wreck compilation era, I support this fully.

Three bands in particular that seems to go largely "underrated" from that era are Millencolin, Big Wig, and Whippersnapper.

As for the newer stuff -- Did I miss something, or are the Swellers not on there?
12:25 PM on 04/18/12
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
Hahaha, seriously. I've got it on right now ... I hadn't heard most of them in - years - got so caught up in the "new stuff coming out." Haha, but talking with Zack about all of it got me spinning all of these.
Very awesome feature, thank you very much.
12:25 PM on 04/18/12
FallOutWeeze
User Info.
I'm sure this is just me but I feel like Under Soil And Dirt is this generation's Take This To Your Grave.
12:28 PM on 04/18/12
deadjean
Tie Me Up! Untie Me!
User Info.
Slick shoes was always one of my favorite bands. always blew my mind how unnoticed they went.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS