AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Attalus - Post Tenebras Lux Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.38
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.88
Production 8.88
Creativity 9.13
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Attalus - Post Tenebras Lux

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (04/19/12)
Attalus-Post Tenebras Lux
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: November 18, 2011

“We’re putting God in a box we call out-dated/ Throwing faith away because we say it makes us blind.” By the second verse of the first song ‘Night’, it is clear we have landed in Christian rock territory with Attalus’ debut album, Post Tenebras Lux. I mention this before everything else, because the band’s religious beliefs are the most instantly noticeable feature of the album. A rough count showed that, North Carolina’s Attalus, consisting of Seth Davey on keys and vocals, Evan King and John Sierra on guitars, John Amos on bass and Chris Sierra on drums, use the word ‘God’ twenty-three times throughout the course of the album, and that’s not mentioning the usage of ‘He’ and ‘His’. So, I was lost on the lyrical side of the album pretty much instantly as I do not share the band’s beliefs. Now we’ve got that over with, Post Tenebras Lux is indeed a great album.

It all kicks off with ‘Night’. After a short, sparse piano introduction the band launch into a melodramatic, ‘everything-but-the-kitchen-sink’ track. Heavy, meaty instrumentation is entwined with piano, screaming, theatrical vocals and the occasional accordion. Davey’s vocals, sounding slightly like Aaron Weiss re-creating The Black Parade, are extremely strong, and manage to perfectly adjust from singing to screaming to singing.

Next up is ‘The Problem Of Pain’. Starting with sound bites from news reports of rubbish stuff happening, it continues the drama. It sounds absolutely massive, and could pass for post-rock. This is the case for most of the album, and is certainly one of the most redeeming features of the release. Every track could fill a stadium, and Attalus sound like they’ve been hacking away at this business for a lot longer than a couple of years. They pass over every flaw that most young bands stumble over, rushed instrumentation, cheap production, and album fillers. Every song sounds like it has been meticulously planned and no part of the record sounds it’s there to fill up the minutes.

The strongest track off the record is ‘When I Lose My Way’. It starts slow before building up to a full band rock out crescendo. Lyrically, it’s quite touching and the musically it’s goosebumps inspiring stuff. Post Tenebras Lux finishes with ‘Let There Be Light’, a short track reliant on piano and Davey’s vocals. It’s a perfect end and leaves the listener both emotional and wanting more.

Post Tenebras Lux is the sound of a very professional, talented band. The lyrics may be a little too focused on their religious beliefs, and occasionally it becomes almost preachy, but this is the sound of band could achieve a lot amongst not only the Christian rock scene, but amongst the scene at large.

Recommended If You LikeMoving Mountains; mewithoutYou; The Used; post-hardcore; Jesus

http://www.facebook.com/AttalusMusic

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
03:25 PM on 04/30/12
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
Wow, thanks for your kind words. We really appreciate it and we're glad that you enjoyed the album!
05:13 PM on 04/30/12
ZHettrick
User Info.
I completely back this band! I was introduced to their music by the vocalist's cousin a few weeks ago and have been listening consistently since.
09:00 PM on 04/30/12
surnandy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They put on a beautifully energetic live show. For me one of the biggest draws is their ability to stay musically unique and talented and yet super sing-along-able for lack of a better term.
09:07 PM on 05/09/12
Neilhouse
Ya slam-dunkin what I'm alleyoopin?
User Info.
Uhhh...where can we listen to it?
10:31 AM on 05/16/12
jennstook
User Info.
yep i love this album. i didnt think it was too preachy at all, i mean you are going to have people who have the same beliefs as them and its going to be perfect, and even for those who think something else, its still great music and there are a lot of aspects people can take into their own life without having it be because of religion
06:12 PM on 05/28/12
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
Wow, thanks for your kind words. We really appreciate it and we're glad that you enjoyed the album!
2nd track title inspired by C.S Lewis I suppose?
05:25 PM on 05/29/12
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
2nd track title inspired by C.S Lewis I suppose?
I believe so. All of our lyrics are written by our lead singer, Seth.
11:43 AM on 09/14/12
Attalus
Attalus
User Info.
Uhhh...where can we listen to it?
You can listen to our album at www.facebook.com/attalusmusic OR you can download the album for free right now at our website at www.attalusmusic.com! Thanks so much!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests