AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Moving Mountains - New Light EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.42
Musicianship 9.42
Lyrics 8.83
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.33
Lasting Value 8.92
Reviewer Tilt 9.33
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Moving Mountains - New Light EP

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (04/23/12)
Moving MountainsNew Light EP
Record Label: Triple Crown Records
Release Date: April 24, 2012

If Waves proved one thing, it’s that Moving Mountains strive for continuous progress. Their sophomore record cut the excess fat – the incredibly long track lengths and instrumental pieces – off of Pneuma and left only the bare necessities. As a result, the record was easily among the top tier of last year. Sure enough, MovMou haven’t stopped delivery, as their latest “re-interpretation” acoustic EP, New Light, showcases a completely different side to the band.

Eerie strings and an unnerving piano oscillate throughout the re-worked “Alleviate,” allowing Greg Dunn to explore new ground with his fantastic set of pipes. The calm atmosphere suits his voice perfectly. “Where Two Bodies Lie” follows a similar formula, with the mid-tempo structure proving that Moving Mountains are about as versatile as it gets. Considerably shorter this time around, the new “Ode We Will Bury Ourselves” outshines the original at times, as the softer tempo fits the track superbly. The band’s musicianship really comes through on “8105,” as the acoustic guitars melt into the soft drum taps in perfect unison throughout its gorgeous 8 minutes.

For only a “remix” EP, New Light holds quite a powerful weight to it. Cementing Moving Mountains as more than just another post-rock group, the EP shows the genuine skill and talent of the band, already evidenced by last year’s phenomenal Waves. Dunn clearly has a mean set of pipes, while the instrumental talent also serves as the stern backbone of their sound. If MovMou continue to experiment with their sound and direction, their forthcoming record will really be a killer, filling the void now left without Thrice making music.

8/10

Recommended If You Likeacoustic renditions; Thrice’s Alchemy Index: Earth

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Alleviate
2. Ode We Will Bury Ourselves
3. Where Two Bodies Lie
4. 8105 (Acoustic)

Moving Mountains are:
Gregory Dunn – Vocals, Guitars
Nicholas Pizzolato – Drums
Mitchell Lee – Bass
Frank Graniero – Guitar, Vocals

Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 42
09:54 PM on 04/23/12
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
So good, and a free download, so no excuses not to download this.

EDIT: it was a free download for a period of time, but not any longer I guess.
http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2711162
10:30 PM on 04/23/12
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
Downloaded but had not listened to it yet. Motivated to do so now.
11:04 PM on 04/23/12
syntax omitted
User Info.
The new Ode definitely never outshines the original. I disagree with you on that. But 8105 is beautiful as is Alleviate. The others kind of leave a lot to be desired... but that's not to say they aren't good. Just not as good as the originals.

Also, the new 8105 just makes me really want an album like Pneuma again. Bleh.
03:01 AM on 04/24/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
This EP is fantastic, but one issue I have is that in Ode they cut the line "and hopefully god finds a reason..." and the ending. That is easily one of my favorite parts of Pneuma.

Can't wait for new material from these guys.
03:13 AM on 04/24/12
DriftingNAndOut
User Info.
Good review. But there's no way Waves was as good as Pneuma or Forward.
04:08 AM on 04/24/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't understand how anything on Pneuma could be called "fat" that needed to be trimmed. Also your definition of progress is interesting. Layered music and vocal harmonies is what makes this band interesting imo, this version of 8105 is decent but stripped to the point where it loses what made me love that song in the first place. I hope this stripped down sound is a one off and doesn't make its way onto their future releases.
05:10 AM on 04/24/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I don't understand how anything on Pneuma could be called "fat" that needed to be trimmed. Also your definition of progress is interesting. Layered music and vocal harmonies is what makes this band interesting imo, this version of 8105 is decent but stripped to the point where it loses what made me love that song in the first place. I hope this stripped down sound is a one off and doesn't make its way onto their future releases.
I didn't really mean "fat" to have a negative connotation - simply that they trimmed down the length of the tracks, while keeping their intricate instrumentation, to keep only the best parts of the music
05:13 AM on 04/24/12
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
No way in hell does Ode We Will Bury Ourselves outshine the original in any form here. original is the best song on Pnuema
06:34 AM on 04/24/12
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
Great ep with some interesting takes on their songs. I'm looking forward to what their next record will sound like.
06:50 AM on 04/24/12
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
So good, and a free download, so no excuses not to download this.
link please!
07:45 AM on 04/24/12
Greg090793
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Whether you think the songs beat out the original or not, I think we can all agree on that these songs are KILLER. All superb.
07:48 AM on 04/24/12
Greg090793
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also, if anyone has good headphones but them on and listen to the very end of Alleviate. Do you hear the sirens going on in the background?! lol!
07:55 AM on 04/24/12
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Love these songs, but no Waves is better than Pneuma and Foreword, although all 3 are superb.
07:59 AM on 04/24/12
brennanisarealboy
User Info.
Also, if anyone has good headphones but them on and listen to the very end of Alleviate. Do you hear the sirens going on in the background?! lol!
Hahahaha that's awesome. On accident or purpose I wonder...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums