Password

Album Review

The Company We Keep - Making Moves Album Cover

The Company We Keep - Making Moves

Reviewed by
The Company We KeepMaking Moves EP
Record Label: MAD Dragon Records / The Boombox Generation
Release Date: April 24, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When Justin Pierre and Brian Southall announced they were working a project together, heads turned and ears perked up instantly. Pierre’s witty lyrics captivate fans record after record with both Motion City and Farewell Continental, and Southall can clearly play a mean riff, proven throughout his career with TREOS. Misery Signals drummer Branden Morgan was soon added to the line-up along with the lovely rookie Amy Brennan on vocals, forming The Company We Keep. As the first project of the Making Moves series with Drexel University and Motion City Soundtrack, the band’s Making Moves 7” hints at great things to come.

“Right/Wrong” will inevitably result in comparisons of Brennan to Evanescence’s Amy Lee, which, in this case, is not a bad thing. The tranquil drumming and uncommanding guitar riffs really lend all ears to her vocal performance, proving she has a very nice range despite being new to the scene. Southall and Pierre’s slick guitar effects dominate “The Company She Keeps,” establishing a more upbeat arrangement on the track.

Easily the biggest highlight of the three tracks is the cover of At The Drive-In’s classic “Pattern Against User.” While covering this one may be deemed as more sacred ground, The Company We Keep do the original scene staple extreme justice. Sure enough, Brennan does a fantastic impression of Cedric Bixler-Zavala’s signature vocal style, proving that The Company We Keep are more versatile than originally believed – the cover really establishes Brennan’s talent as youthful, novice female vocalist.

Only three tracks, Making Moves gives just a slight taste of The Company We Keep’s sound. Like a soft peck on the cheek on a first date, it leaves us only wanting more. Still, the talent of the band members speaks for itself, so it’s safe to say we should all be on the look at for what The Company We Keep are working on.

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
10:24 PM on 04/23/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Typo in the first paragraph...Brennan.
10:29 PM on 04/23/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Typo in the first paragraph...Brennan.
I suck
10:32 PM on 04/23/12
cwhit412
User Info.
only partially ;)
08:44 AM on 04/24/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Honestly think the highlight of this is "The Company She Keeps"
The cover is cool but as far as talent I think that song makes me want more original songs by the band.
09:04 AM on 04/24/12
sammyboy516
User Info.
Honestly think the highlight of this is "The Company She Keeps"
The cover is cool but as far as talent I think that song makes me want more original songs by the band.

I agree.
09:54 AM on 04/24/12
axelblazer
User Info.
Will this EP ever be released on CD rather than 7"?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos