Password

Album Review
Radiohead - In Rainbows Album Cover

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Reviewed by
RadioheadIn Rainbows
Label: None
Release Date: October 10, 2007
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Hello everyone.

Well, the new album is finished, and it's coming out in 10 days;

We've called it In Rainbows.

Love from us all.
Jonny

Millions of jaws dropped simultaneously after reading this. The news was similar to being blindsided by Lawrence Taylor. It was shocking and exciting. It caused a storm of questions, expectations, predictions, and buzz. Really, when October 10th finally rolled around, what would be the initial reaction?

After listening to In Rainbows for the first time, it brought forth the same reaction I had when I first heard of the album being released: I had to pick my jaw up from the floor again. And I have a hunch that the reaction I had was very similar to those around the world.

Simply put, In Rainbows is everything we love about Radiohead while taking us into new areas the band hasn’t covered in years. Influences from OK Computer, Kid A, and even Hail To The Thief are abundant here, as well as some new twists and turns added to a sound they have perfected. Recorded and produced by Nigel Godrich and Mark Stent over the course of two years, In Rainbows features ten tracks that’ll titillate your senses and evoke all sort of emotions with every moment you spend with the album.

While the band’s last release, 2003’s Hail To The Thief, carried more of a bitter and political vibe, In Rainbows is more soothing and introspective. “15 Step” gets it started right away. A jazzy and off-beat number, it’s one of the rare moments on the album where the band enters Kid A territory; the electronic-paced track will get your body moving. The bass work by Colin Greenwood is impeccable, while Thom Yorke’s vocals are very vibrant. “Bodysnatchers” flows with murky guitar work from Jonny Greenwood and Ed O’Brien, while Phil Selway paces the track with his rabid drumming, as the track is slightly reminiscent of the work done on OK Computer.

“Nude” is an endearing track that encompasses you from the very beginning. Yorke’s voice is haunting, playing as the perfect compliment to the dreamy atmosphere. “All I Need,” an emotionally heavy track that’s laden with piano, glockenspiel, synths, and random noises, is beautifully composed and executed, making it one of the (many) highlights on In Rainbows.

Stripped down to a delicate pluck of the acoustic guitar and strings, “Faust Arp” is two minutes to recollect your feelings and thoughts before Yorke’s falsetto takes over your membrane again, this time backed by the jangling cymbals and focused piano notes of “Reckoner.” The only misstep (and I’m sure many will disagree with me here) comes in the form of “House Of Cards.” While it’s not the strongest track on the album, it plays the perfect contrast Radiohead is so good at pulling off as the lead in to “Jigsaw Falling Into Place,” a track that carries the same kind of menacing undertones that previous Radiohead albums have featured.

The final act of In Rainbows is the long time fan favorite “Videotapes.” Instead of an epic closer that we are accustomed to hearing on their previous work, we get one of the most personal and raw tracks from Thom Yorke. As he slowly and painstakingly sings against the deep, poignant keys from the piano and the off-kilter beat from Selway’s drum kit, the track builds and builds, but we get no payoff, just the song meekly closing out as the piano fades out. While some may be disappointed with that, I feel it closes out In Rainbows perfectly, as it shows how real this record is.

In the end, In Rainbows proves to be one of the most personal and moving albums of not only 2007, but of Radiohead’s entire discography. The main reason for this is that, for the first time in years, instead of radically progressing, Radiohead decided to embrace their capacities and insecurities and put them on tape. Thom Yorke and Co. bleed just like you and me and, you know what, that’s okay.

This is one for the good days/ And I have it all here on red, blue, green.

Stop, breathe, and soak it all in. And don’t forget to pick your jaw up from the floor.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. 15 Step – 3:57
2. Bodysnatchers – 4:02
3. Nude – 4:15
4. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi – 5:18
5. All I Need – 3:48
6. Faust Arp – 2:09
7. Reckoner – 4:50
8. House of Cards – 5:28
9. Jigsaw Falling into Place – 4:09
10. Videotape – 4:39
Produced by: Nigel Godrich and Mark Stent

Radiohead are:
Thom Yorke – vocals, rhythm guitar, piano
Jonny Greenwood – lead guitar, keyboards
Ed O’Brien – guitar, backing vocals, keyboards
Colin Greenwood – bass, synthesizers
Phil Selway – drums

Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 132
12:31 AM on 10/15/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review Drew, I really enjoyed this album as well despite never really being the biggest Radiohead fan. However, this album struck me for some reason and I have been listening to it fairly consistently.
03:14 AM on 10/15/07
trustmeimokay
Hi
User Info.
Awesome review. I've never been too into this band but I do enjoy this record (which seems to be an extremely common reaction haha). Keep up the good work.
03:46 AM on 10/15/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Really tough review to tackle, Drew, but you nailed it. Well done.
03:47 AM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Awesome review Drew. I definitely agree with the review, this album rocks.
06:17 AM on 10/15/07
[Mike]
making waves.
User Info.
Uhoh, you didn't give this a 101% score, they are gonna come after you now.
06:22 AM on 10/15/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Uhoh, you didn't give this a 101% score, they are gonna come after you now.
haha I know, how dare me!
06:51 AM on 10/15/07
IcedOpethBlind
105 OVR, 99 PMV, 98 BSHD, 97 TCKL
User Info.
"House of Cards" might be my favorite off the album...who cant relate with I dont want to be your friend, I just want to be your lover?
06:56 AM on 10/15/07
agloriousruin
salt & light in a world of darkness
User Info.
I wouldn't have gone about it in the same way, but at least I agree with the review's main points. Takes some huevos to take on a Radiohead review.

Read my reviews and look at their scores; they are pretty low. Don't generalize like that. And don't worry about the score - it's what's written that should really matter to you.

It takes some eggs??
06:57 AM on 10/15/07
agloriousruin
salt & light in a world of darkness
User Info.
That being said, excellent review, Drew. I'm gonna have to give this a few more spins and let it sink in more.
07:08 AM on 10/15/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Am I the only one who didn't have this record stick like they had hoped? It is good, sure - but I have many more favorites in their catalogue.
07:08 AM on 10/15/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
07:10 AM on 10/15/07
HowSoonIsNow
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I rank this as my third favorite Radiohead album. It doesn't quite top OK Computer or Kid A, but then again I don't know what can. I love it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos