AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Politics News - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 208.
11:56 PM on 04/25/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Never, EVER say he was "handed" anything. He campaigned his ass off and spent millions of dollars to get the honor of dealing with the mess the country was in. Stop letting him off the hook because he was "handed" a mess. He WANTED it.

And then he went and spent 4 trillion dollars in 3 years when it took Bush (the devil to most of you) 2 terms.

Prioritizing? PRIORITIZING!? Where is "make jokes on Jimmy Fallon" and "smile for the cameras so I get elected again" on his priorities list? It looks to me like it's somewhere in the top 10 at least, while actually working to fix the problems of our country is pretty low.
12:18 AM on 04/26/12
andrewa5
www.facebook.com/oftemples
User Info.
this is great
12:36 AM on 04/26/12
PIG DESTROYER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I got about 10 in before I realized these are A) mostly opinions B) absurdly repetitive and C) you can counter nearly every one of them with a differing opinion/fact.

For example, you could argue "shifting the focus of the war from iraq to afghanistan" as "leaving everyone in iraq and sending even more troops to afghanistan/promising he would take troops out of iraq, and not only failing at that, but increasing the number of soldiers overseas across 2 different continents, etc."

plus, the only reason the US is in Afghanistan is to encourage heroin production.
12:42 AM on 04/26/12
PIG DESTROYER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've seen the exact same chart. I've also seen several others that say completely different things. The media bends facts for their own agenda. You'll agree with that one, I'll agree with mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree on how accurate either chart is.

And again man, clearly nobody is reading my main point here- I was never trying to start an "OBAMA SUCKS!" "OBAMA RULES!" argument- I was merely trying to get some support behind my feeling that until a president has proven himself to the majority of the country as doing a good job/delivering on his promises, he shouldn't be on TV making jokes. Clearly, I am in the extreme minority on this thought, and that scares me. I guess you all would be fine with your employees goofing off before they finish their jobs. I wouldn't. I'd fire them.
12:48 AM on 04/26/12
PIG DESTROYER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like this continues to be a mischaracterization of the office of the President of the United States. First, in our country part of the job does entail being a public figure ... this is something that since roughly the Vietnam war, we've expected of the President. Second, I think that the idea that if a President isn't sitting behind his desk he isn't working on the job misrepresents how the President does his job. Part of the job is convincing the constituents of his policy plans. Part of his job is campaigning. If those voting don't have it conveyed to them why they should get behind the AHCA or a raise in minimum wage, then any time spend behind a desk trying to convince congress to introduce, let alone pass, a bill would be worthless. Part of the job is advocating for, and explaining, the policies the President wishes advance.

Lastly, the other portions of his job description are ones that can be done anywhere and are not hands-on --- in fact, the big responsibility (commander in chief) has been more and more delegated in the past 20 or so years.

And, because it got overlooked before, no one lives up to 100% of the promises made (be it a politician or a random dude, as you say) -- they're judged on what they do accomplish. There's plenty to pick from -- and as I said, most political science writers have pegged this as one of the more successful first terms in history. When we look at the situation inherited (and congress), it gets even more impressive.

Did he do everything promised? Fuck no. Am I particularly pleased with everything he did? No. However, this doesn't negate what he did do or the reasons you see him on TV.
Ok, nevermind, you did see my point. I read your replies backwards.

I see what you're saying. It makes sense. I just don't like that part of the job and feel like until one part of the job is done much better, the other part (the more fun part) shouldn't even be considered. I feel like while campaigning, it's all promises and I'M GOING TO DO THIS! and then as soon as they're sitting in the oval office, it becomes more like "well... maybe I'll do that." And again, I feel this way about EVERY president we've ever had. Don't make a promise if you can't deliver. And don't ask for 4 more years if you haven't done what you said you'd do in the first 4.

I'd feel a lot more confident in my president if he, when asked why he wasn't making any television promises or campaigning, replied with "because I haven't finished what I've set out to do yet, and frankly, I have a lot more to do before I would even feel comfortable asking for your vote to keep me here for 4 more years."
12:54 AM on 04/26/12
PIG DESTROYER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd also like to say that I find it very surprising that people who frequent a website called absolutePUNK are so widely (and in many cases blindly) supporting your government. I'm not characterizing all music fans of the genres covered here as "WE'RE PUNKS! FUCK THE GOVERNMENT!" people, but considering the amount of secrets and extremely plausible agendas for most of the things this government has done (very easily researchable), I'd expect to see a whole lot more comments against the government rather than "Obama rules."
01:59 AM on 04/26/12
i like apples
Kyle Max
User Info.
I've seen the exact same chart. I've also seen several others that say completely different things. The media bends facts for their own agenda. You'll agree with that one, I'll agree with mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree on how accurate either chart is.

And again man, clearly nobody is reading my main point here- I was never trying to start an "OBAMA SUCKS!" "OBAMA RULES!" argument- I was merely trying to get some support behind my feeling that until a president has proven himself to the majority of the country as doing a good job/delivering on his promises, he shouldn't be on TV making jokes. Clearly, I am in the extreme minority on this thought, and that scares me. I guess you all would be fine with your employees goofing off before they finish their jobs. I wouldn't. I'd fire them.
If the media bends all facts based on their agenda, where do you get your unfiltered 100% accurate news/stats from?

And to your second point about goofing off, we're still human. We enjoy laughter. Knowing your president is down to earth and capable of having a soul makes it seem even for just a second that hey that horrible world out there aint so bad. It doesn't negate all the good he's done to take a few hours to make people laugh.
06:44 AM on 04/26/12
audioboxer27
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You really can't say he did a better job than McCain would have done. There is no way to know that unless he actually won. I guarantee 70% of the kids on this site don't know anything about politics or what is going on in the country. They get their news from movie stars, Rock star and Blog sites. The USA is worse than it was 4 years ago and until I see the deficit go down or the economy pick up I am not sold when Obama tells me that everything is going great. I am down for any president that can tell us the truth and not what he wants everyone to hear. As for the Jimmy Fallon thing , he should wait until he is out of office to Slow Jam the news.
this makes me laugh
07:17 AM on 04/26/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
The person who can make a courageous step towards crushing the war on drugs gets my vote.
08:33 AM on 04/26/12
always10ftJay
I Am One
User Info.
this is disgusting your the president of a country act like it
08:35 AM on 04/26/12
ren
on display
User Info.
Boom. Tate goes on the offensive. Tate casts logic! It's super effective!

Tate - 1

Random Nobody - 0
Jason casts logic! Critical hit.
08:42 AM on 04/26/12
tbsxblink
User Info.
wasn't aware that the president wasn't allowed to have a sense of humor......
09:11 AM on 04/26/12
almightykingdom
auri cupiditatem
User Info.
this fucking asshole. pandering to try to get the youth vote and the anti-people who make any kind of living on their own without expecting handouts from the fucking government.
but hey, the teleprompter puts on a damn good show.
Exactly! How are we, individually, supposed to get out of debt when the only way to is to reach for the almighty government handout. I have pride in myself and don't want to get bailed out because it isn't "fair" that we have live shitty. Fuck that, life isn't fair. Deal with it people. Voting in people that don't give two shits about you is the problem, but most politicians don't care. Sad.
09:12 AM on 04/26/12
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
Damn gurl, take a seat please

09:16 AM on 04/26/12
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
Exactly! How are we, individually, supposed to get out of debt when the only way to is to reach for the almighty government handout. I have pride in myself and don't want to get bailed out because it isn't "fair" that we have live shitty. Fuck that, life isn't fair. Deal with it people. Voting in people that don't give two shits about you is the problem, but most politicians don't care. Sad.
You both sound like you eat lunch by yourself tbh....
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests