Username
Password

08:47 AM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
contiinstereo
CFC Supporter
Buffalo, New York
Male
If you want to ever try this, I work at a Wegmans and the amount of food that is perfectly fine that we throw out is insane. It's sad that it goes to waste and the worst part is, if any employee is found eating from the product we are throwing out, they get disciplinary action and/or fired.

This. I work there too, the whole thing is absurd. We once threw out over 200 packs of gum off of a shelf for no reason. Not to mention the baked goods.
12:29 PM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
PepperminCherry
Joplin, MO
Female - 21 Years Old
I would love to do this. But lack of a car and people to go with me(this is not something I want to do alone) kinda presents a problem. As a vegan and someone who's all about being environmentally-friendly, this sounds like the best thing ever.

If the package is still sealed I don't see how it could be dangerous, plus if you're doing this at a dumpster behind a store, and not a restaurant, I bet the dumpster is pretty dry and relatively clean.
12:51 PM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 26 Years Old
I found a baby in a dumpster once.

But seriously, I have nothing against this in principle, and it's not that I'm easily grossed out, but I don't even like shopping. And in supermarkets the food is right there on the shelf, rather than hidden under a crusty diaper.
01:11 PM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
coltenTALK
Make me grow up.
Edmonton
Male
I've done this a couple times and it was actually really fun. Not being totally sure if you're going to find something makes finding anything even remotely cool pretty awesome
01:35 PM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
just.Starla.
I put my bra on one boob at a time
Georgia
Female - 23 Years Old
I sort of did this once. I was at the library and noticed someone left food a lot of uneaten in a container. It was all pretty good and I felt fine after eating it. I don't know if I'd actually eat anything I found in a dumpster though.
04:44 PM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
abbysmith
Que será será
Boston, MA
Female - 19 Years Old
Fuckin' gross
07:19 PM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
fishguts182
Pop Punks For Hugs Not Thugs
New Mexico
Male - 24 Years Old
never have dumpster dived and hopefully never will
08:23 PM on 04/28/12 
User Info.
Tautou107
drink liquid clocks til i see god
Female - 21 Years Old
never done it but i can see the appeal/resourcefulness of it... it'd be cool to try with friends or something at least once
04:15 PM on 04/29/12 
User Info.
corrupt_rocker
infinite.
Chengdu, China
Female
I'd be down to try it. I'm trying to restart food not bombs in my city, and I heard that the last group got a majority of their food from dumpster diving. I'm not up for serving other people food from a dumpster, but if it's just me, then I'm fine with it.
04:28 PM on 04/29/12 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
My best friends introduced to me dumpster diving in 6th grade. (No longer friends with them)
We found a bunch of awesome furniture and other belongings in our apartment complex. Not a place where you'd take food out of. We did find a sealed bottle of Martinelli's Apple Cider once that they wanted to drink...
05:15 PM on 04/29/12 
User Info.
kismet
Occasionally a fan girl
Buffalo, NY
Female - 20 Years Old
I'd kick her ass.
Seriously, I accidentally drank milk that was MONTHS old (the same day I managed to buy and eat chocolate 1 year after the expiration date) and I was perfectly fine. It's not like the food is going to kill you because it's expired. One of my biggest pet peeves ever.

I found a box of cereal that expired two years ago and my manager just had me mark it down ten cents. Anything with mold goes in the garbage, but expiration dates aren't as important.
09:16 AM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Tautou107
drink liquid clocks til i see god
Female - 21 Years Old
i also really don't understand the "i have a job" argument -- so do i, but if i was able to do something like this and save all the money that i spend on food, my money could be put towards so many other things (education, traveling, interests, and if you want to go there-- charity, etc). i could understand not wanting to do it for germs/uncomfortability but the job statement just sounds a little presumptuous imo
03:59 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Troy, Missouri
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm surprised crust punk jokes haven't been thrown around yet.
04:16 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
I'd kick her ass.
Seriously, I accidentally drank milk that was MONTHS old (the same day I managed to buy and eat chocolate 1 year after the expiration date) and I was perfectly fine. It's not like the food is going to kill you because it's expired. One of my biggest pet peeves ever.

Milk: Dude thats fucking nasty and can't have been an accident, or it wasn't that old. Milk SMELLS after like a week and curds after a few weeks of the expiration.

Also for the record, chocolate never technically expires, it just becomes hard as it sets. A lot of people don't eat chocolate (like old Halloween candy) when it gets that whiteish powder, but that's just the milk separating. It doesn't even taste that different, just a little dry.
04:19 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
Also that sucks how much is wasted (I used to work in retail and we had to through out perfectly good clothes or shoes instead of, say, donating it) but I could and would never touch anything that's been in a dumpster, let alone eat it. There are so many gross worms and bugs and germs crawling around the whole place. *shudder*

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets