AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

02:35 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Watson
Athens, GA
Male
For the past few weeks I have been wondering about what sort of gift to get my ladyfriend. We've been loving, in love, whatever, for awhile now and it's pretty intense. Thing is she's leaving for the summer and I'm off to college when she gets back. We are gonna try to figure something out about that and fortunately that is not the topic of this forum (fairly sure that whole topic is beaten to death all day long). I am trying to get her something special as a birthday present/prom present/ send off gift.

So after much deliberation, I went ahead and got her a sterling silver locket with her initials etched into it. (cliche but idgaf). I was as smooth as a guy like me can be but she was sort of on my trail about it. She subsequently told me she HATES the idea of getting jewlery. I'm betting this is a front and going ahead with the idea anyway. Fingers crossed.

So the question is...

Have you ever gotten or given a gift that got a real resounding response? What was it? Why'd you get it? Etc. etc.

(also if it's an opinion about my gift you have, speak my friend.)
02:40 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
No. But I no longer live in Canada, things may be different over there. I've learned that unless it's some sort of special occasion, a girl doesn't need much. and when it is a special occasion she still doesn't need much. I've never gotten a good response from spending money so i aint doing it. A happy birthday and a cake will suffice. A goodbye kiss and a hug will suffice. Parting s*x is always such sweet sorrow.
02:45 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Watson
Athens, GA
Male
Those will be taken care of as well, no worries. Maybe I'm being a little too traditional here but I believe that it is necessary.

Also I should note that I didn't really break the bank. Twas around 200 hundy
02:47 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
zion the lion
pull over that ass is too fat.
Female - 21 Years Old
God I wish a locket with my initials in it wasnt breaking the bank for anyone I knew. Anyway I think it's a great gift. That's all I really have to say because I don't give or get gifts so I can't really answer your question.
02:50 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Watson
Athens, GA
Male
Technically I did break the bank, what with my now $6 dollars left, but my wallet isn't feeling too sore about it so...

I'm going for it.
03:08 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
Seattle
Male - 23 Years Old
For the past few weeks I have been wondering about what sort of gift to get my ladyfriend. We've been loving, in love, whatever, for awhile now and it's pretty intense. Thing is she's leaving for the summer and I'm off to college when she gets back. We are gonna try to figure something out about that and fortunately that is not the topic of this forum (fairly sure that whole topic is beaten to death all day long). I am trying to get her something special as a birthday present/prom present/ send off gift.

So after much deliberation, I went ahead and got her a sterling silver locket with her initials etched into it. (cliche but idgaf). I was as smooth as a guy like me can be but she was sort of on my trail about it. She subsequently told me she HATES the idea of getting jewlery. I'm betting this is a front and going ahead with the idea anyway. Fingers crossed.

So the question is...

Have you ever gotten or given a gift that got a real resounding response? What was it? Why'd you get it? Etc. etc.

(also if it's an opinion about my gift you have, speak my friend.)

I find that jewelry, while the most obvious gift to get, is often the worst... The fuck do us men know about jewelry or what women like about it? I tend to stay away from it. Then again, I'm not offering a better idea, so fuck do I know?
03:14 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Watson
Athens, GA
Male
Yeah I don't pretend to know shit about this, so I ran it by a bunch of people before making a decision. It's less about the jewlery and more about the idea behind it I think. Cliche or not.
03:30 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
White
Tell me about your day, you slut.
Orgasmville, NA
Male
Buy her a Hitachi Magic Wand.
03:30 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
honey bunny that's the funny thing
omnipresent
Female
Men don't know what they're talking about here if they're against giving jewelry. Getting a necklace or bracelet from someone you love is the best gift you can get. It's something you will probably keep for the rest of your life, what else can you say that about?

Even if she's weird about it now, she's probably just being that way because she is concerned as to the future of the relationship but either way, it really shows her that you care which she will appreciate forever.
03:54 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Alison1488
____
Female - 25 Years Old
My ex got me a beautiful locket for my birthday, and I loved that thing to death. I still have it. Personally, I'm not one that needs an extravagant gift. It could be a mix CD for all I care. Just knowing someone thought about you enough to do something special means the world. If you really listen, people practically tell you the perfect gift for them. I'm really good at giving gifts.
04:05 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Watson
Athens, GA
Male
Yeah I think she's against me spending my money on her, which I can appreciate, but she will not go ungifted this time.

I know she'll love it though so I'm not sure what I'm worried about.
07:14 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
AntiCorporate
Imaginary Enemy
Toronto
Female - 26 Years Old
In the end, I'm sure she'll like it. Having an actual item (in this case the locket) is nice to always have on you as a reminder.

How about also making something? I tend to try to do both. Something 'materialistic' and then a little add-on, like a mix cd or a picture frame or a video montage. It usually ends up that the 'free' one from the heart has a more lasting impression on the person.
07:40 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
jrayrocks9191
Blah.
Male - 22 Years Old
Buy her a Hitachi Magic Wand.

I love you.
10:16 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
Less Than Mike
Happiness is just a moment.
Sydney, Australia
Male - 22 Years Old
I find that jewelry, while the most obvious gift to get, is often the worst... The fuck do us men know about jewelry or what women like about it? I tend to stay away from it. Then again, I'm not offering a better idea, so fuck do I know?

I learnt that lesson first hand. Got my gf a $200 necklace one year, she hated it and has never worn it. Got her a $30 one for last christmas and she hasn't taken it off since. Jewellery just seems so hit or miss to me.
10:36 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
po0ty
Boston
Male
No. But I no longer live in Canada, things may be different over there. I've learned that unless it's some sort of special occasion, a girl doesn't need much. and when it is a special occasion she still doesn't need much. I've never gotten a good response from spending money so i aint doing it. A happy birthday and a cake will suffice. A goodbye kiss and a hug will suffice. Parting s*x is always such sweet sorrow.

Did you just censor sex? lol....

also - the best gifts are usually the unexpected ones.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets