Password

Album Review

Tallhart - Bloodlines Album Cover

Tallhart - Bloodlines

Reviewed by
TallhartBloodlines
Release Date: April 10, 2012
Record Label: Rory Records/Equal Vision
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It's no secret that Max Bemis casts a large shadow on the current scene, being the creator of records revered throughout it, so when you're picked to be the first band to release its debut on his Equal Vision imprint, Rory Records, it could potentially be overwhelming. Maybe a lesser band would have wilted under the pressure, but Tallhart is no such band, as the alt/indie rock quartet seized their chance at breaking through by releasing one of the best EP's of 2012, the six track Bloodlines.

Throughout the EP are fantastic indie flourishes, such as the rich instrumentation on opener “Fever (Sister of Mine)” finishes with dizzying guitar leads, while “Wolves” folky demeanor is crafted towards perfection. The aptly titled “Brooklyn is Burning” is the best song Kevin Devine never wrote, as its soft intro slowly but surely rises in volume before flowing into a soothing outro.

These Floridians also know how to write potential hits, as the jaunty “Drunk Kids” carries out the EP's most infectious chorus – a chorus I envision being the background of the next “hip” commercial. The menacing “Holy War” displays Tallhart rolling up its sleeves and getting messy. The frantic track wraps up Bloodlines with some edge, as vocalist Matt Segallos passionately cries out, “oh you want a holy war?” over buzzing guitars.

After just one listen to Bloodlines, you may be somewhat surprised that Tallhart isn't on Favorite Gentleman's roster, given the similarities to Kevin Devine and Manchester Orchestra. But it's better this way, as Tallhart's debut EP sets the path for Rory Records to become a taste maker in the scene. This is not a imprint that wants to sign Say Anything wannabes, as some people may be predisposed to think. Rather, this is an imprint searching for bands that aren't afraid to challenge themselves and listeners alike. Tallhart couldn't have been a better choice to get that message out.

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
06:48 AM on 05/01/12
ValleyForge
User Info.
I really love this EP. Stephen Christian tweeted about it and I knew I had to check it out.
08:56 AM on 05/01/12
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
Glad AP.net finally reviewed these guys. Saw them opening for Say Anything recently and really dug them. Expect great things for these dudes in the future.
08:59 AM on 05/01/12
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Band is great. Good dudes, good music.
09:15 AM on 05/01/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Need to listen to this. I think Max Bemis created one record that I revere.
09:15 AM on 05/01/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This EP is absolutely amazing. And their live show is even better. Hot damn, I haven't been more impressed with a band in years.
09:27 AM on 05/01/12
jtalep
Save Me From Myself
User Info.
great EP, the only track I skip is Fever because I preferred the original version they did that was just called Sister Of Mine, it felt more natural...but other than that I love it, I hope Holy War is a sign of things to come!
09:54 AM on 05/01/12
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Need to listen to this. I think Max Bemis created one record that I revere.
Have you seen them yet? They need to play Orlando more often.
10:47 AM on 05/01/12
HellhammerMario
User Info.
Everyone Get On This!!
11:29 AM on 05/01/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Great review! I agree with so much of it. I was gonna say they sound like they should be on Favorite Gentleman. This is my favorite EPOTY so far. Also their first LP under the moniker "Marksman" titled 'Sister of Mine' is really good too if anyone is dying for some more TALLHART.
11:30 AM on 05/01/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Have you seen them yet? They need to play Orlando more often.
Never seen them and actually only heard of them when Drew told me about them like a week ago.
12:24 PM on 05/01/12
indiesuperman
User Info.
Super great EP!

Also their first LP under the moniker "Marksman" titled 'Sister of Mine' is really good too if anyone is dying for some more TALLHART.
^^This for sure. That album is so freakin' good!
I can't wait for these guys to gain a real following. They deserve it.
01:46 PM on 05/01/12
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Never seen them and actually only heard of them when Drew told me about them like a week ago.
Missing out. They're really tight live. Their manager used to be Anberlin's merch guy, and they did a couple shows with Anberlin in the past when they were still called Marksmen. So good.
02:11 PM on 05/01/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Missing out. They're really tight live. Their manager used to be Anberlin's merch guy, and they did a couple shows with Anberlin in the past when they were still called Marksmen. So good.
I'll keep an eye on their tour dates.
01:58 PM on 05/02/12
LightSky182
User Info.
Interesting production credit! great band

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT