AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Foo Fighters News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dave Grohl To Direct and Produce "Sound City"

Posted by - 02:00 PM on 05/01/12
Confirming widely circulated rumors, Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters announced today that he will direct and produce a feature Documentary film, Sound City about the infamous recording studio in Van Nuys, California. The film was conceived by Grohl after purchasing the legendary Neve 8028 recording console from Sound City Studios last year. The console, built in 1972, is considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment, having recorded such artists as Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Guns and Roses, Fear, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Slipknot, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, and countless other musical legends over the past 40 years.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
02:00 PM on 05/01/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Through interviews with the artists and producers that created decades of musical history at Sound City, the film will showcase the amazing history of the studio, focus on the albums recorded there that went on to change the world, discuss the human element of music in an age of technology, and feature performances from many of the artists that called it "home".

Grohl's personal connection to Sound City began with the 1991 recording of Nirvana's breakthrough album, "Nevermind". Selling over 30 million copies worldwide, "Nevermind" changed the entire musical landscape and forever altered the course of Dave Grohl's life.

Roswell Films, a division of the Roswell Records label that releases Foo Fighters music, will distribute the film. Key personnel involved with the film include Producer/Director Dave Grohl; Editor Paul Crowder (Dogtown & Z Boys, Once In a Lifetime, Riding Giants); and Writer Mark Monroe (The Cove, Once In a Lifetime, The Tillman Story). The film is also being produced in conjunction with Jim Rota, John Ramsay, and Therapy studios.

Speaking to both the art of music and the art of filmmaking, Grohl crafted the letter below to share his vision for the film. Information and future announcements related to the film can be found at www.soundcitymovie.com

www.facebook.com/soundcitymovie, @soundcitymovie, www.youtube.com/soundcitymovie.com
02:22 PM on 05/01/12
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
No one is cooler than Dave
02:24 PM on 05/01/12
absolution
User Info.
sweet!
02:24 PM on 05/01/12
absolution
User Info.
oh wow, just discovered keyboard shortcuts when I absentmindedly press ctrl+s and the post was sent...
02:38 PM on 05/01/12
LouderThanBombs
Fuck NSA
User Info.
This is some great, great news. I've been on a profound music doc kick since One Nine Nine Four leaked. I've always loved them, but I've really been absorbing a ton of them over the past week or so. Team Dave!
02:41 PM on 05/01/12
i like apples
Kyle Max
User Info.
awesome awesome
03:08 PM on 05/01/12
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
dave grohl is the FUCKING man
05:33 PM on 05/01/12
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
No one is cooler than Dave

FACT
05:48 PM on 05/01/12
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
User Info.
Can't wait for this.
06:24 PM on 05/01/12
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
It was one of my childhood dreams to record at Sound City, shame I'll never get the chance.
Looking forward to this!
08:40 PM on 05/01/12
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
As an audio engineer and a huge dave grohl, fan, I couldn't be more excited about this
11:28 PM on 05/01/12
LoSientoBambino
purevolume.com/sweatshirtweather
User Info.
Glad this legendary console ended up with him. What a huge piece of recording history. I actually just watched the Nevermind documentary today.

If only that console could talk..
09:36 AM on 05/02/12
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
Really can't wait for this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles