AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Spill Canvas, The - No Really, I'm Fine Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.92
Lyrics 9.17
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.33
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.08
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Spill Canvas, The - No Really, I'm Fine

Reviewed by: jerseysbest (10/19/07)
The Spill CanvasNo Really, I'm Fine
Record Label: Sire Records
Release Date: October 2, 2007

The Spill Canvas are a band I have come to rely on. I know what to expect from their albums, and they never fail to deliver. They deliver both as Nick Thomas alone, or as a full band, with the latter being my personal favorite.

Like One Fell Swoop, the first song sets the tone for this album. "Reckless Abandonment" starts with the usual catchiness, becoming an instant favorite after the first listen. With a few more spins (and car rides), other gems start to emerge. "Hush Hush" is one of them with its crushing guitars picking up the pace. "All Over You" screams radio single with its catchy, lively chorus. The stand out song of the album is "Low Fidelity," which has a guitar and drum combo that bursts and swells as the song continues. “Battles” is reminiscent of their previous releases - it even borrows a line from “Drunken Ballerina Waltz” off of The Concept EP. This version of “Appreciation and the Bomb” is accompanied by a full band instead of the acoustic version on the Denial Feels So Good EP. The acoustic version of the song actually works better, allowing less distraction to take in the haunting lyrics.

This album complements the progression of the band. It is slower and doesn’t have the tempo that One Fell Swoop has, but lyrically it improves from where One Fell Swoop left off. On No Really, I’m Fine, Thomas touches on new subjects, not sticking to his usual song topics. In “Reckless Abandonment” Thomas addresses his thoughts on the current music scene, spitting out the line, “I'm not concerned with pleasing all those little pricks and all their little scenes.” Thomas also gives his thoughts on politics (“Don't get distracted by the puppet show of politicians / They put one on every single year”) and religion (“Take all division from religion and just throw it out / Whatever you believe, you're welcome here"). The production of the album is immaculate, but with Neal Avron doing the knob twiddling, it is what we have come to expect.

No Really, I'm Fine also has this year’s must have for a new album - guests. Anthony Green howls in the background on "Bleed, Everyone's Doing It" as the song slows to a low tempo. Andrew McMahon is featured in a re-recorded version of "Saved," which was originally on the Superman Returns soundtrack. The sound of the keyboard adds an extra dimension to the song.

Fans will have plenty to love about this album. The usual dark, edgy lyrics are present and Thomas’ faultless voice flows effortlessly. This album has instantly likable songs that drew me in, and once it did, all the other songs attacked my ears, demanding my attention. The songs on No Really, I'm Fine confirm The Spill Canvas are heading in the right direction by sticking to what they know while not being afraid to try out new things.

Favorite Line"My sore throats are now routine / I gotta write those songs / Make 'em scream / They're insatiable / Even if their ears are full"

Track Listing01. "Reckless Abandonment" (3:31)
02. "All Over You" (3:22)
03. "Battles" (3:21)
04. "The Truth" (3:01)
05. "Saved" (3:52)
06. "Hush, Hush" (2:58)
07. "Low Fidelity" (3:11)
08. "Connect the Dots" (4:07)
09. "Bleed, Everyone's Doing It" (3:10)
10. "Appreciation and the Bomb! (3:55)
11. "One Thing is for Sure" (3:37)
12. "Lullaby" (4:42)

AP.net Profile | MySpace | PureVolume

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
12:56 PM on 10/27/07
NeonBlonde407
Id rather be drinking a Vernors!
User Info.
Soild Album
Great Review

enough said :)
01:23 PM on 10/27/07
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Ya this album is really good. Fav tracks Low fedelity, Connect the dots, and lullaby.
01:57 AM on 10/28/07
jerseysbest
User Info.
Soild Album
Great Review

enough said :)

Thanks
11:15 AM on 10/28/07
cjrahr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is fantastic.
even better, they're an amazing live band.
02:39 PM on 10/28/07
jerseysbest
User Info.
this album is fantastic.
I still haven't had the chance to see them live but rumor has it they are coming to the uk late this year or early next so hopefully I can put that right very soon
03:28 PM on 05/20/08
Brandao
There's just this thing about you..
User Info.
this album is fantastic.

Really liked this album.
The ending on "Battles" with the bon jovish country guitars rock!

since they don't come to Brazil i'll come to them...i'm going to their concert in Edmonton this july (they'll be supporting Motion City Soundtrack). Good to know that they're really good live.

Great review!
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests