AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Consequential Apathy: In Defense of the Comments

Posted by - 03:28 AM on 05/03/12
This week I explore the functioning behind the great wars of our vast comment sections. As a site built around discussion on a number of topics, has AbsolutePunk opened you up to new views you wouldn't otherwise see? How many times have you opened up to another user's opinion on an album or song or artist and gave it a second shot with different results? Do you generally take a publication's word on an album review, or do your friends and own expectations matter more? I'm interested to know how many of you rely on media outlets and how many of you have outgrown them over the years...well, to an extent of course.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 46
03:35 AM on 05/03/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
04:17 AM on 05/03/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
This website really showed me a whole new universe of music and other art forms. I discovered an incredible amount of artists, bands, movies, books, that has shaped me and made me the person I am right now. After two years of just lurking on this site, and other two years as a user (since April 2010, with my actual account; I previously had another account, which I abandoned it at the end of 2009), this website actually really matters to me.
05:26 AM on 05/03/12
InfiniteArms
Let me be your superhero
User Info.
If I really love an album and the review is bad, then I will defend it, and sometimes I forget, a review is just someone expressing their opinion in a bid to get fans of the band to pick the album up or not, but If I'm not sure about getting an album, I wait for someone to recommend it to me or a review. This website has expanded my music knowledge and I'm listening to bands who I never would've known otherwise. I've only been a registered member for a year now but I have been look at the site everyday since I found it about 2 years ago. The First year I wasn't a member, I guess because I didn't have much to say and didn't really want to voice what I thought, and then I read a thread that I just had to get my voice heard on. It was a topic I had been discussing that day at work, and then to see it on this website made me appreciate that we get the "not music news" posts. This website is a gem and I hope the community never changes. The humour, hate, opinions and appreciations of the staff and members in threads, on news topics, whatever, is basically what's keeping me here.
05:28 AM on 05/03/12
nickstetina
User Info.
How many times have you opened up to another user's opinion on an album or song or artist and gave it a second shot with different results?
I'd say this happens to me all of the time. If I see that another user/staff member who I know I have pretty congruent tastes is really into an album that I may not have given a fair listen, I'll go back and check it out.

Do you generally take a publication's word on an album review, or do your friends and own expectations matter more?

I make a conscious decision not to read reviews of albums I already have my own set of expectations for/haven't been released yet. Totally skews my outlook and usually in a negative way: either the album got a shit review and I'm bummed, or the album is extremely well praised and then it doesn't meet my newly created, high expectations.
07:30 AM on 05/03/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
if i really like something or really don't like something, others' thoughts typically won't sway me to feel differently. i will listen to new things based off of high recommendations or if they appear in the news feed and are somehow connected to something i already like. however, me liking or not liking something isn't contingent upon what someone else thinks.
07:47 AM on 05/03/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Well first off, only two of my friends even come close to the taste of music I listen too, seriously one of my friends actually has "Party Rock" as a ringtone. So with that being said, I get ALL my music information, conversations, and new music from this site and the It-Leaked chatbox. I love sharing new music, finding new music, and talking about bands on these sites, but I've noticed it's important to find other ppl on these sites with similar taste, otherwise you'll end up fighting with someone with completely different taste for no reason. Honestly I am not the biggest fan of Pop-Punk, but there are plenty of people and staff on here that like all different kinds of music, I found that I agree a lot with Lueda, Drew, Kyle, and Blake, so I tend to listen more to their reviews and comments.
Oh, and anyone who listens to "Weatherbox."
07:55 AM on 05/03/12
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Album reviews are basically worthless to me. A thread full of people praising an album is what's going to get me to check out something new.
08:13 AM on 05/03/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Well first off, only two of my friends even come close to the taste of music I listen too, seriously one of my friends actually has "Party Rock" as a ringtone. So with that being said, I get ALL my music information, conversations, and new music from this site and the It-Leaked chatbox. I love sharing new music, finding new music, and talking about bands on these sites, but I've noticed it's important to find other ppl on these sites with similar taste, otherwise you'll end up fighting with someone with completely different taste for no reason. Honestly I am not the biggest fan of Pop-Punk, but there are plenty of people and staff on here that like all different kinds of music, I found that I agree a lot with Lueda, Drew, Kyle, and Blake, so I tend to listen more to their reviews and comments.
Oh, and anyone who listens to "Weatherbox."

Weatherbox - that's why we're tight.
08:19 AM on 05/03/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
1. I don't read reviews unless Greg or Jeremy wrote them.
2. Eda and Paul and Kyle are the only staffers who post music that's interesting 9 times out of 10.
3. There are only about 6 users who I'll listen to about music recommendations.
4. No review could ever sway my feelings about a band/album.
6. 99% of the time I can't stand the AP band of the moment.

Having said that, I always like discussing anything and everything. AP is a great way to distract myself from work if I need to. That's why you'll usually only see me posting during normal business hours. M-F.
08:50 AM on 05/03/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
User Info.
I don't trust publications or my friends with opinions on music, just gotta listen to it and like if I like it. Reviews are good for looking at something in a new light, or when someone notices something you didn't, but for the most part I can only make up my mind after hearing something. As a source of people telling you to check out something they're great, but I'm usually swayed by a 'this shit is dope, check it out.'

This is beautiful.
09:31 AM on 05/03/12
Spencer Control
you'll grow your soul away
User Info.
I think the main thing I took away from this website is that no PL thread can go without anal.
09:47 AM on 05/03/12
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
I have no friends who really listen to as much music as I do, so i hear about a lot of bands through this site and it's members, but I don't let their opinions sway me.
I very rarely read music reviews because I like to make my own decisions about music, and if I have never heard it before I like to have no preconceptions about it.
If someone says "Oh you like such and such, you should check out band A, you might like them" I'll always listen to it, and give an honest opinion.
This site made me reasise that everyone has their own opinions, and that everyone thinks their opinion is right...
09:56 AM on 05/03/12
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
I've been around since 2005, so I've obviously gotten something out of this site or else I would have gone elsewhere. I enjoy the discussion on music and reading up on the news.

I don't venture too far into certain forums, because I feel many members on this site (despite claiming openmindedness), are as close-minded as those they accuse. So, I just stay out of those areas. Not a problem. The internet's a big place.
10:05 AM on 05/03/12
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
I feel a lot of the community aspect of this site has moved away from music.
It's not come and talk to people who share the same musical taste anymore, it's more come and talk to people who are a lot like you. Same music, same films, same interests and activities and I think as a whole the majority of people are welcoming enough, to acknowledge or encourage any topic you may bring up.
No thread quite sticks to its original purpose. The €urokids is flooded with Americans, I've seen threads about bands turn into TV shows, the chat thread is always a great laugh.
Just because new people get abused, doesn't mean they're not accepted. In school, the older kids are always the cool kids, and this is the same here, only on AP you have the opportunity to become cool a lot faster, you just have to put up with a load of light hearted abuse, and give it back if you can!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos