Username
Password
Thrice News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Thrice
Inside AP.net

Riley From Thrice Talks About The Band's Hiatus

Posted by: Jason Tate (05/07/12)
Check out another interview with Riley from Thrice talking about the events that led to the band's decision to go on hiatus.
From the InterviewI canít remember exactly when. I feel like the writing had kind of been on the walls for a while. The amount of touring that weíve done over the past two or three years has gone down considerably and in large part that is due to Dustin and Teppei having growing families and young kids at home. You know, Dustin has got three kids, Teppei has got two and has a third on the way. Itís really tough for them to be home at all, really. So the amount of touring we have done has kind of gone down. Itís something that I didnít think of the realm of possibility, and unsure when it was going to happen. But when Dustin told us that he needed to take a break for a while, it was definitely disappointing, but it wasnít something that was totally shocking to me.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
03:04 PM on 05/07/12
Simulcast
You make that dance look so new
User Info.

I could have called this after this song was released. That can't be an easy thing to deal with.
03:14 PM on 05/07/12
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
everything thrice related i read just makes me sad now.
03:15 PM on 05/07/12
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
I really want to hear Dustin's thoughts. I wonder why he has been silent about the whole process.
03:22 PM on 05/07/12
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
I really want to hear Dustin's thoughts. I wonder why he has been silent about the whole process.
everyone but riley really. He's pretty much been the spokesperson for the band for a while now for some reason
03:43 PM on 05/07/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Well, he did make the official statement re: hiatus. I don't think he needs to elaborate further.
And I think he did an interview recently, although I haven't seen it.

Around that time Ed blogged that he was bummed, he's pretty much on the same page as Riley.
03:43 PM on 05/07/12
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
I don't see what more would need to be said when it is obvious the reason behind the break is the fact that he wants to spend time with his family.
03:47 PM on 05/07/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
He always gives such clear, thorough answers, always a good read.

So excited to hear what Ed and Riley cook up.
03:56 PM on 05/07/12
RyanGarner
Registered Member
User Info.
I kind of feel bad for Riley, he's the one who really seems disappointed that Thrice is coming to an end for now.
04:27 PM on 05/07/12
Raarzipan
Registered Member
User Info.
I don't think I will understand the idea of pursuing being a musician, and wanting a "typical" family life. When you become a musician you know it will be tough, and nearly impossible to have a "normal" life. That said, glad they did decide to hiatus instead of forcing themselves to continue.
04:34 PM on 05/07/12
Hail Lelouch
User Info.
everyone but riley really. He's pretty much been the spokesperson for the band for a while now for some reason
Anyone know what Teppei has had to say about the hiatus?
04:40 PM on 05/07/12
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
I don't see what more would need to be said when it is obvious the reason behind the break is the fact that he wants to spend time with his family.
Im just curious. The rest of the band seems unnaturally silent on the issue. And you would assume that being the last tour for quite a while, they would have some semblance of togetherness.
04:54 PM on 05/07/12
absolution
User Info.
what the heck is F-D tuning???
05:19 PM on 05/07/12
Taking_Frags
I post once every four months.
User Info.
what the heck is F-D tuning???
I thought the same haha.
05:35 PM on 05/07/12
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
I don't think I will understand the idea of pursuing being a musician, and wanting a "typical" family life. When you become a musician you know it will be tough, and nearly impossible to have a "normal" life. That said, glad they did decide to hiatus instead of forcing themselves to continue.
Wants change over time. They threw themselves into Thrice because they were willing to make the sacrifices necessary to be a touring band when they started as teens. Then they grew up and wanted something more stable. There's nothing remarkably unusual about this. So they adjusted accordingly.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums