Password

Album Review

Carrie Underwood - Blown Away Album Cover

Carrie Underwood - Blown Away

Reviewed by
Carrie UnderwoodBlown Away
Record Label: Arista Nashville
Release Date: May 1, 2012
My favorite musical genre is pop punk. However if I were forced to pick my second favorite genre I would probably say pop country. A large amount of country fans hate most of the pop influenced stuff you hear on the radio today, but I love it. I mention this because Carrie Underwood's new album, Blown Away, was probably my most anticipated album of 2012 (well that or the new Shai Hulud album obviously). Her last album, 2009's Play On, was one of my favorite albums of that year, and in my opinion one of the best pop albums to be put on recent memory. Now Blown Away does not equal Play On in overall quality in my book, but it is still a solid effort from one of the most popular recording artists around, full of songs that country radio will most likely overplay until everybody hates them.

Blown Away opens with the first single from the album “Good Girl.” The first couple times I heard this song I thought it was okay, but it has really grown on me after a few listens. I personally see it as version 2.0 of her hit song “Cowboy Casanova” which was the first single from Play On. They are both upbeat and catchy songs featuring lyrics warning girls about the men they choose. So even if “Good Girl” isn't exactly groundbreaking, it is a solid radio friendly pop song that most likely pleased a large percentage of her fan base. The second track, the title track “Blown Away” is another solid effort. Its lyrics tell the tale of a girl using a violent storm as a means of revenge on her abusive father. I guess some could consider those lyrics to be a little dark but they are kind of par for the course in country music. The imagery used in it to describe the storm is very effective and the slow building rhythm of the song compliments the mood of the lyrics quite nicely.

On the song “One Way Ticket” Carrie steals a few tricks from fellow country starts Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown by writing a song about heading south to a tropical destination. I personally never cared for any of the Kenny Chesney songs about him hanging out in Mexico, but I did enjoy this Carrie Underwood song on a similar topic. The music in this song is noticeably different than the rest of the album with some reggae undertones thrown in, which is not my favorite form of music, but it works here. The song really makes you want to get a fruity drink and dance around on the beach.

One of the things that surprised me about how much I liked her last album was that all my favorite songs from it were the slower songs when normally all my favorite country songs are the fast and upbeat ones. This made me very interested to hear the slower songs on Blown Away. Luckily for me there are a couple slower songs here that I really like. The first of those being “Two Black Cadillacs” a song about the two women (a wife and a mistress) and what happens to the man between them. Not only do the lyrics to it tell a nice little story but the chorus is also quite catchy. Another slow song that I love is “Thank God For Hometowns.” The thing that made me love this song is the lyrics. Now the specific lyrics of this song are about a small town, but I feel like the message is pretty universal. The fact that I love where I came from so much makes it very easy to understand the emotions behind it. Think of it as a slow, pop, and more country version of Firework's “Detroit.” I think another track “Wine After Whiskey” will become a go to song for some girls after they break up with their boyfriend and are talking about it with their friends while drinking wine (if that makes any sense).

I don't want to make it sound like this album is full of slow ballads because that is certainly not the case, there are few more upbeat songs to accompany “Good Girl.” My favorite song on the album “Cupid's Got a Shotgun” falls into this category. It is a top tapping good time of a song. They lyrics about cupid replacing his usual bow and arrow with a shotgun probably won't win any awards for its use of metaphors, but I don't really care, it is a fun song to sing along to. I would be pretty surprised if it is not released as a single at some point (probably with the long instrumental portion removed).

I will not say all the tracks on this album are worth a listen though. “Forever Changed” is a slow ballad that basically put me to sleep with how boring it is. There is really nothing interesting or memorable about saying “Forever Changed” over and over again. The closing track “Who Are You” sounds like something that would play over the credits of a Nicholas Sparks' movie, something that wouldn't stop you from walking out of the theater.

I think one of the more noteworthy things about this album is Carrie Underwood's continuing evolution as a songwriter. On Play On she co-wrote eight songs, none of which were my favorite tracks off that album. Here on Blown Away she co-wrote eight songs again, but this time around I consider a few of those songs to be the best on the album. Blown Away most likely won't win over any new fans. Carrie Underwood really doesn't break new ground or try anything experimental on this album, but for fans of hers (like me) that is more than okay. She does what she does very well, so I hope that she keeps doing it for a long time to come. If you, or someone you know, enjoys previous albums from Carrie Underwood, or albums by Taylor Swift or Miranda Lambert tell them to check out Blown Away, I predict they will like it.

Recommended If You LikeTaylor Swift; Miranda Lambert; Lady Antebellum

http://www.carrieunderwoodofficial.com

The official video for “Good Girl”
This review is a user submitted review from billcom6. You can see all of billcom6's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
12:16 PM on 05/19/12
butrfli1234
I'M ON FIRE
User Info.
Never would have thought to compare Carrie Underwood to Fireworks.
Overall, solid review. Wish there were more specific references to the lyrics as opposed to a summary of the song, but just my opinion.
12:32 PM on 05/19/12
billcom6
AP Addict
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Never would have thought to compare Carrie Underwood to Fireworks.
Overall, solid review. Wish there were more specific references to the lyrics as opposed to a summary of the song, but just my opinion.
I was going to include some specific lyrics to a few songs, but didn't because the review was already longer than the suggested length for the site. However, I will keep that in mind in future reviews where I mention the lyrics (because it would make sense to include them if you mention them).

If there is any specific song you would like the lyrics for on this album I will post them in the replies and talk about them a little more if you like.
05:01 AM on 11/26/12
ashleywilliam
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
blown away is a good album i like her all song.nd good girl is one of my favourite song i enjoyed to watch his video.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos