Password

Album Review
Gotye - Making Mirrors Album Cover

Gotye - Making Mirrors

Reviewed by
GotyeMaking Mirrors
Record Label: Eleven Records
Release Date: August 19th, 2011
In this increasingly media driven world, it can sometimes be a bit shocking to consider how long it takes for certain artists to spread commercially from one country to another. That is, of course, if a certain artist lacks a major label distributions deal. The Australian singer Gotye officially released the first single off this record in October 2010 with the single “Eyes Wide Open”, and yet it is now 2012 and he has just now finally exploded in America and Europe with his hit radio single “Somebody That I Used to Know”. But success is finally here, and we now get to experience this tasty little collective of songs with a fresh summer filled perspective. Interestingly, this is his third official album but I am just going to assume we are all starting from scratch with this Belgian born Australian based artist.

Making Mirrors, as the title suggests, is literally about the album recording process itself. This is a very appropriate name as lead singer Wouter “Wally” De Backer really attempts to let the musical instruments do the talking on this record. There is certainly a lot of love to be found within these songs, although if you are coming at the record expecting to hear a collection of songs similar to “Somebody That I Used to Know” you will surely be disappointed. The music here is instead only similar in tone to the breakout hit; they are all quite delicate and musically spacious. Album track “Smoke and Mirrors” is the typical relaxing jaunt to be found on the album but he can certainly speed it up in places too, such as on “Eyes Wide Open”. You may even enjoy a bit of triumphant hand clapping on “I Feel Better”.

To place De Backer into existing musical terms; his voice is reminiscent of a young Peter Gabriel with the tentative music of the ever popular stadium band Snow Patrol. The pop twist is evident on the sunny tracks, but it is the appearance of the well sounded strings and piano which is most notable aspect of the charming work. I couldn’t help but be struck by how similar “In Your Light” was to “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” from The Lion King Soundtrack in certain places; that is the type of relaxation that awaits listeners to the work. However, the down side to this album appears to be in the lack commercial ambition in the songs. This album is being sold from the point of the popular single it has spawned, and people will surely come at it expecting something similar. They won’t find this and perhaps the album will suffer ultimately because of the perceived expectations. Gotye has made a super album here; it just seems to be a bit more intimate than it is currently being sold as.

Recommended If You LikeMiike Snow; Snow Patrol; Summer sounds
This review is a user submitted review from OnaedInSpace. You can see all of OnaedInSpace's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
06:07 AM on 05/19/12
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
"This album is being sold from the point of the popular single it has spawned, and people will surely come at it expecting something similar. They won’t find this and perhaps the album will suffer ultimately because of the perceived expectations. Gotye has made a super album here; it just seems to be a bit more intimate than it is currently being sold as."

This is an interesting observation but surely you can't fault the album for this? It doesn't affect the quality of the songs in any way at all.
05:15 AM on 05/20/12
OnaedInSpace
she sucked and sucked and sucked.
User Info.
"This album is being sold from the point of the popular single it has spawned, and people will surely come at it expecting something similar. They won’t find this and perhaps the album will suffer ultimately because of the perceived expectations. Gotye has made a super album here; it just seems to be a bit more intimate than it is currently being sold as."

This is an interesting observation but surely you can't fault the album for this? It doesn't affect the quality of the songs in any way at all.
I was just suggesting that I think it will harm the record ultimately. If people go into an album generally looking for a one hit wonder and the other songs are not as instantly as likeable I always think the general listener sometime discards the product. It is as if they have been sold something which they were not actually looking for and so just go... meh
07:41 PM on 05/24/12
thekazeblade
User Info.
I feel like the entire album is fantastic and can hold its own beyond "Somebody." There are fantastic tracks on here: "Easy Way Out," "Smoke and Mirrors," "State of the Art" and "Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You" are absolutely phenomenal, each have an entirely different feel from the rest, but each have the perfect amount of catchiness.

Yes, "Somebody" blew up, but anyone who dismisses the rest because of that has either only listened to that song and is pretending to know what they're talking about because their friends said so, or they don't have the attention span. This is an outstandingly slick and sharp pop-indie album that deserves recognition.
09:21 PM on 06/12/12
Stereocascade
Don't Make A Wee Bit O' Sense
User Info.
While Somebody That I Used To Know may be the reason Gotye has been launched into the spotlight, this whole album is a testament to his knack for great songs. Songs like "Eyes Wide Open", "I Feel Better" and "In Your Light" show this for me. I also like how he's not afraid to vary it up, and get creative, especially with a song like "State of the Art." That one intrigues me very much.
12:56 AM on 06/13/12
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
I think "State of the Art" is the one bad song on the album...
10:06 AM on 06/25/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
This is incredibly overrated.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT