AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Money News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Amanda Palmer Kickstarter Reaches Six Times Its Goal

Posted by - 09:16 AM on 05/10/12
Amanda Palmer (of the Dresden Dolls / Evelyn Evelyn fame) is funding her new record via Kickstarter and set out for a $100,000 goal. The Kickstarter currently stands at over $618,000 with over 11,000 backers and still has three weeks to go in its lifetime. What are your thoughts on Kickstarter campaigns that blow up like this? Discuss in the replies.

Submitted by btown4life

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 107
09:18 AM on 05/10/12
Trashcore
lower lifes
User Info.
Wait it's reached over 6 times its goal? Why are people just throwing money away? Whats even going to happen with that additional $518,000??? I really hope she donates it to a charity or something because I just feel like thats a huge waste.
09:20 AM on 05/10/12
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
User Info.
Wait it's reached over 6 times its goal? Why are people just throwing money away? Whats even going to happen with that additional $518,000??? I really hope she donates it to a charity or something because I just feel like thats a huge waste.
^ i think she's still going to use it to fund her album. If you watch the video she needed at least $200,000 to cover the recording of her album. She shot really low I guess to guarantee that she'd make her goal.

I'm glad this is finally on AP. However I'm surprised no one posted this before.

Also the news should say Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls / Evelyn Evelyn fame ...
09:20 AM on 05/10/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
She could use it for future albums so she wouldn't have to come back to Kickstarter.
09:21 AM on 05/10/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
Also, unreal that someone backed $10,000 into the Kickstarter.
09:23 AM on 05/10/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
^ i think she's still going to use it to fund her album. If you watch the video she needed at least $200,000 to cover the recording of her album. She shot really low I guess to guarantee that she'd make her goal.

I'm glad this is finally on AP. However I'm surprised no one posted this before.

Also the news should say Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls / Evelyn Evelyn fame ...
Thanks, updating now
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
She could use it for future albums so she wouldn't have to come back to Kickstarter.
or merch, a dvd documentary, special one off shows, etc. there's a lot of awesome stuff that she could put that money towards that fans would dig.
enter return
User Info.
are you kidding me? This is no disrespect to her music because i havent heard it...but seriously? $618,000!?!? My god. Shut it down after you reach your goal. Unless you're Queen with the resurrected body of Freddie Mercury should an album EVER cost $618,000 (including cost to rejuvenate his long decayed body)
09:25 AM on 05/10/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
who the fuck cares? if people want to do it, they should do it. i don't understand why this is still a discussion. free will is free will.
09:26 AM on 05/10/12
MyJukeboxBroke
I need a Couch
User Info.
are you kidding me? This is no disrespect to her music because i havent heard it...but seriously? $618,000!?!? My god. Shut it down after you reach your goal. Unless you're Queen with the resurrected body of Freddie Mercury should an album EVER cost $618,000 (including cost to rejuvenate his long decayed body)

I like this.
09:26 AM on 05/10/12
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
User Info.
Again, watch the video they obviously planned for it to go over $100k. She obviously has an amazing fan base that is willing to support her.
09:27 AM on 05/10/12
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
Have that many people really not heard of Amanda Palmer / Dresden Dolls? She deserves it. Love her.

I guess I don't get why people are getting worked up about this. Each and every person that chose to donate to her fund did so willingly, to support an artist they care about. Let them do what they want with their money. They even knew that she reached her goal, and they continued to donate.
09:28 AM on 05/10/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I was just listening to A is for Accident this morning. Excited for new music from her
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
You're assuming people are throwing money away. They're not. They're doing this because they want her to have it. Period.
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
I would think someone of the backers would at least some of them would be professionals within the music industry who would gladly help a friend out. Not to say she hasn't gotten tremendous support from all types of fans. But she said it would cost at least $200,000 to make her record? Soupy, chime in...

[EDIT]: After actually skimming the kickstarter page, it looks like she had a lot of collaboration in terms of artwork and stuff. It would be awesome to see those people appreciated for their hard work towards the project.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos