Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 358
02:08 PM on 05/10/12
whitelightning7
Registered Member
User Info.
Third eye blind - s/t

Top three favorite album ever for me. It's my summer jam!
02:14 PM on 05/10/12
Light_Grenades
User Info.
The Black Parade without a doubt.
02:14 PM on 05/10/12
RIP_HunterS
Peace Out in Your Mouth
User Info.
I think that The Color and the Sound by The Foo Fighters will go down as a classic album our kids will listen to. More modern though, I think most of the Gaslight stuff, Blink, and Sticks and Stones by NFG will go down as what most people would consider as classic.

My judgement for this is not critical acclaim, but the likelihood of future generations listening to the music.
02:16 PM on 05/10/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
People don't understand this concept at all. some embarrassing answers in here.
A lot of the ones I would have thought of have already been said though. Adele's the absolute certainty here.
Eh, I just think it's kind of a difficult topic for this site. A lot of answers in here (Kanye, Nivana, Foo Fighters, etc.) are the really obvious choices that all mainstream music publications would select for this same topic. You could start this thread on basically any music-related site (Rolling Stone, Spin, even somewhere like Amazon) and you'd likely get many of the same responses. Hell, a lot of these albums made it in Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums of All-Time list.

And it's just not the niche that this site appeals to (generally speaking) and it doesn't have a lot of relevance to many users. I mean, yeah, Funeral is an amazing album, but I know for me, personally, it just doesn't resonate the way some objectively shittier music has for whatever reason.

And like, I'll probably never listen to that Adele album. I like Adele and I'm not going out of my way to avoid it or anything, but I just have yet to feel any sort of desire to sit down and listen to it. It's not because I'm (intentionally) close-minded, but just because there is a lot of other music out there that I've yet to listen to that I find more intriguing.

But really the problem with topics like this is, like I said in my initial post, it's hard to answer it because there is already a defined canon that determines a "classic" album. Which is fine, because if that general understanding didn't exist, there would be no point in labeling something a classic. But it also means that there aren't a lot of deviations in responses, and your post sort of highlights that problem. If I tried to say something totally random, like that Armor for Sleep's Dream to Make Believe will one day be considered an all-time classic, you'd scoff, and rightfully so because that'd be fucked up.

But it also sort of hinders any discourse because it pretty much limits the discussion to only albums that have seen both massive critical and commercial success and proven themselves as qualified to make the cut, which are few and far between.

That was long...sorry.

EDIT: Maybe not "massive" critical and commercial success, but certainly well above average in both regards.
02:20 PM on 05/10/12
ThaRealNC
User Info.
A few off the top of my head that I haven't seen mentioned yet in my quick skim:

Nirvana - In Utero (so much better than Nevermind. Maybe in 2040 people will realize this).
De La Soul is Dead
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
The Roots - How I Got Over
02:24 PM on 05/10/12
artistanonymous
User Info.
I see things like;

Nirvana - Nevermind
Kanye West - Graduation
Adele - 21
Radiohead - Kid A
John Mayer - Continuum
Third Eye Blind - Self-Titled
Coldplay - X&Y OR Viva La Vida (I'm leaning more towards Viva solely based on singles/the popularity explosion that came from it)

I want to say Deja Entendu by Brand New, Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams, Transatlanticism or Plans by Death Cab For Cutie (More Plans, Transatlanticism is purely my own enjoyment bias), Futures by Jimmy Eat World, Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard, From Under The Cork Tree by Fall Out Boy, Sticks and Stones by New Found Glory, O by Damien Rice, and I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning by Bright Eyes would but I think they're just so sub-genred that I can't see them going in as Classics.
02:25 PM on 05/10/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Green Day - American Idiot
Franz Ferdinand - S/T
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Adele - 21

There has to be some sort of commercial success to an album for it to be considered a classic.
02:26 PM on 05/10/12
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Her post-Fearless material has been more creative, with stronger lyrics and greater musicality. If her tracks for the Hunger Games soundtrack are any indication, Taylor's continually getting better at what she does and I believe she has yet to write her magnum opus.

Fearless is a like a musical diary; each of the thirteen entries brings us on a journey through the adolescence of a high school girl. As we listen, we are opened up to her every feeling of elation and heartbreak, and mental images are painted that bring us to a time in our life we felt the exact same way. Her words are hardly poetic, but absolutely nail the emotions of someone in that transition to adulthood. The instrumentation is simple, but perfectly accentuate the lyrics. It may be pop, but it's a classic record.

I think she matures with each record, but to me they have all been stepping stones to her peak. I agree that it nails the feelings of some teenage girls, but there are some problematic lyrics and themes that make me hesitant to call it a classic. I realize I'm in the minority there, but I feel like she hasn't hit her peak yet. If she goes in the direction she did with her HG songs, I could really see her nailing a classic album. I personally think she needs to mature a bit first both as an artist and as a person. I'm thinking her next record or the one after? I wouldn't call Fearless classic (and not because it's a pop record. I love pop to death), but more as a building block to something greater. I don't hate Fearless, but I think she can do a lot better than that and I'm hoping she'll release something really great soon.
02:27 PM on 05/10/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Eh, I just think it's kind of a difficult topic for this site. A lot of answers in here (Kanye, Nivana, Foo Fighters, etc.) are the really obvious choices that all mainstream music publications would select for this same topic. You could start this thread on basically any music-related site (Rolling Stone, Spin, even stuff like Amazon) and you'd likely get many of the same responses. Hell, a lot of these albums made it in Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums of All-Time list.

And it's just not the niche that this site appeals to (generally speaking) and it doesn't have a lot of relevance to many users. I mean, yeah, Funeral is an amazing album, but I know for me, personally, it just doesn't resonate the way some objectively shittier music has for whatever reason.

And like, I'll probably never listen to that Adele album. I like Adele and I'm not going out of my way to avoid it or anything, but I just have yet to feel any sort of desire to sit down and listen to it. It's not because I'm (intentionally) close-minded, but just because there is a lot of other music out there that I've yet to listen to that I find more intriguing.

But really the problem with topics like this is, like I said in my initial post, it's hard to answer it because there is already a defined canon that determines a "classic" album. Which is fine, because if that general understanding didn't exist, there would be no point in labeling something a classic. But it also means that there aren't a lot of deviations in responses, and your post sort of highlights that problem. If I tried to say something totally random, like that Armor for Sleep's Dream to Make Believe will one day be considered an all-time classic, you'd scoff, and rightfully so because that'd be fucked up.

But it also sort of hinders any discourse because it pretty much limits the discussion to only albums that have seen both massive critical and commercial success and proven themselves as qualified to make the cut, which are few and far between.

That was long...sorry.

EDIT: Maybe not "massive" critical and commercial success, but certainly well above average in both regards.

Fantastic response. massive respect for it.
02:29 PM on 05/10/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.

Fantastic response. massive respect for it.
Thanks!
02:29 PM on 05/10/12
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Franz Ferdinand - S/T
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Adele - 21

There has to be some sort of commercial success to an album for it to be considered a classic.
Not necessarily. Some albums are commercial failures at first, but for whatever reason they gain traction years later. It's really a difficult things to predict. Blackout was a huge failure for Britney Spears when it came out, and it's now regarded (among most of her fans) as a pop gem and her best album to date. That's a small example, but you really never know. It's so random which albums will last. I want to say that In The Aeroplane, Over The Sea wasn't really a big deal when it first came out either. I could be wrong on that one though.

/to summarize my rambling, people can list all the obscure albums we don't think will ever be remembered that they want, because you really never know which ones will last or regain popularity down the road. And I would argue that there can be hidden gems that are classics.
02:31 PM on 05/10/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Wait, people actually listen to X&Y the years after of its release?
02:32 PM on 05/10/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Franz Ferdinand - S/T
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Adele - 21

I don't agree with that statement. AT ALL.

So band like...

The grateful dead
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Pink Floyd

Wouldn't be "classics" because they never had a number one hit.
02:36 PM on 05/10/12
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
There are examples in the OP (See: Television's Marquee Moon for example) that counteract the commercial success=classic. Don't agree with that sentiment, some interesting additions though from people.
02:42 PM on 05/10/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I realize he said "commercial success" but that is incredibly flawed.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos