Username
Password
Against Me! News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Against Me!
Inside AP.net

Open Thread: Rolling Stone Hits Shelves Today

Posted by: Jason Tate (05/11/12)
Today the new Rolling Stone hits shelves -- it's the one with the full article on Tom Gabel's recent news. Seeing as it's the first issue of the magazine I've actively wanted to seek out in years ... I figured I wouldn't be the only one. So, with that I'm opening up a thread here on the homepage for people that have picked up the magazine to talk about it, share thoughts, insights, and whatnot. As soon as I can get my ass to the store, I'll be joining in with my thoughts.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 152.
09:59 AM on 05/11/12
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
I'm excited for many reasons. Tom finally embracing something I'm sure he's wanted his entire life. Against Me!'s music potentially taking another interesting turn. Inspiration to everyone out there facing similar situations.
10:00 AM on 05/11/12
mdunn220
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
being in NYC, it should be easy to find for me. say i don't - do you have any idea where this ONE issue can be purchased online? this is a story not to be missed, for the better understanding of all of us integrated within punk rock.
10:01 AM on 05/11/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Quote:
Seeing as it's the first issue of the magazine I've actively wanted to seek out in years

10:03 AM on 05/11/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
After I shower I am going to go to a bookstore and read this and perhaps sip some tea.
10:03 AM on 05/11/12
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Just read the full article, and it's just about exactly what I expected and wanted it to be - a lot of honest narrative from a guy who seems calm and a bit relieved, though not in a dramatic way. It seems Tom came to terms with this a long time ago, and we're getting a glimpse at someone who's already analyzed every possible outcome and has made peace with a future that will inevitably inspire questions.

I'm really glad Eells included the bits from revealing to the band and Heather - it made the piece so much more relatable, and should ease the squirminess of some readers. Tom's quotes and Eells' writing do a great job making gender dysphoria appear very plain and understandable. The article isn't dressed up at all - it's very straightforward, and doesn't try extra hard to be an important piece of journalism. It's just a great read.

I'm anxious to hear thoughts from Against Me! fans. I literally listened to my first AM! song as I read the article, and I want to hear from people who have great emotional attachment to the band. I'm sure they'll have nothing but love and praise for Laura.

Also, that quote posted yesterday is just awesome. "However fierce our band was in the past, imagine me, six foot two, in heels, fucking screaming in someone's face."
10:05 AM on 05/11/12
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Came in the mail yesterday. While I still have a lot of conflicting opinions about this, for the most part I'm really proud of his bravery for confronting this in a platform as public as Rolling Stone. This is all going to take some time for us to get used to and fully wrap our heads around, but I'm excited for what this holds for the future of Against Me!
10:08 AM on 05/11/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
Came in the mail yesterday. While I still have a lot of conflicting opinions about this, for the most part I'm really proud of his bravery for confronting this in a platform as public as Rolling Stone. This is all going to take some time for us to get used to and fully wrap our heads around, but I'm excited for what this holds for the future of Against Me!

The only thing I'm still trying to get used to is saying "her" and "she" instead of "him" and "he."
10:15 AM on 05/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
Absolutely fantastic. Informative and personal. It felt like the writer was very involved in the process; perhfaps uncomfortably so - particularly when Heather didn't know Lauras new middle name but the author did.

Overall, great read. I feel far more knowledgable about both luara and the transgender condition, and I think a lot of other people will be too. Excited to see where AM! Goes from here.
10:15 AM on 05/11/12
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
The only thing I'm still trying to get used to is saying "her" and "she" instead of "him" and "he."
I feel ya.
Make the change when Wikipedia does? Haha.
10:17 AM on 05/11/12
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
Although I was a little surprised it wasn't Laura on the cover.
10:17 AM on 05/11/12
JenniferN225
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is/will this issue available in the UK?
10:18 AM on 05/11/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Can't wait to pick this up.
10:18 AM on 05/11/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Who's on the cover?
10:23 AM on 05/11/12
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
I kinda assumed she would be too, but realized after grabbing it that as big a story as this is, normal RS cover stories involve massive, massive celebrities. Appreciated they at least threw a headline about it on the cover, though there was absolutely no way to do it without making it appear slightly tabloid-esque.

Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests