Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 53
07:12 AM on 05/15/12
romanceisdead
User Info.
Would have liked a tracklisting.

Cool project, just not sure the "viral" or teaser stuff was even remotely necessary.
My thoughts exactly.
07:12 AM on 05/15/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Would have liked a tracklisting.

Cool project, just not sure the "viral" or teaser stuff was even remotely necessary.

Agree on both fronts. Kind of surprised there wasn't even a "featuring songs by xxxxxxx xxxxxx" if they didn't want to give a full listing.
07:14 AM on 05/15/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
We were gonna just post a link to Lemonparty so I feel like everyone came out on top here regardless, haha.

I thought about the "viral" aspect of it a good deal and started to feel like some people might not deem this worthy of all the hype and hoopla surrounding it, but it was a lot of fun to build up to yesterday's announcement. At the end of the day, we're having fun with our friends and trying to get our bands' music out there I probably don't put as much stock into what people's reactions on message boards will be to my ideas. And I should, I really should, ya know? :)

The 50-song download is going to be where the real gems are, in my opinion. Plenty of new stuff to be excited about (for me at least... but don't take my word, I apparently put too much hype into things that let people down :). See also: my mom wanting grand kids).

Yes, there's no vinyl release. This is a personal and practical choice. I do not want a comp on vinyl and if you think about it for longer than .2 seconds, you'll probably realize neither do you. I agree, it could have been nice. 20 tracks would have required for some pretty $$$ vinyl and again, I just don't feel like it's the most practical medium for a comp.

For the Hot Topic naysayers: Say what you will about the mall rats and overly commercialized...uh,-ness. There's very few national retailers with that kind of size and reach willing to take chances on projects like this. At the end of the day, Chris, Seth and I's jobs are to help promote our bands as much as possible. This seemed like a pretty good opportunity to do that.

Thanks for posting this, Thomas!

Thanks for the candor. Any track listing you can point us to?
07:59 AM on 05/15/12
njiata603
http://greatbigchoruses.tumblr.c om/
User Info.
all that for a comp? weird.
08:01 AM on 05/15/12
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
its about time Hot Topic kids get exposed to good music again. i think this is a great idea. in high school, my life revolved around compilations. it was one of the main ways i discovered new music. i'm excited to pick up a copy, regardless of the tracklist. i know there will be stuff on it, and these labels deserve it. compilations are still relevant, as long as labels do them right. rare/unreleased stuff is a great example. totally worth it.
08:24 AM on 05/15/12
Fourchordwonder
Guess our wishes don't do dishes
User Info.
We were gonna just post a link to Lemonparty so I feel like everyone came out on top here regardless, haha.

I thought about the "viral" aspect of it a good deal and started to feel like some people might not deem this worthy of all the hype and hoopla surrounding it, but it was a lot of fun to build up to yesterday's announcement. At the end of the day, we're having fun with our friends and trying to get our bands' music out there — I probably don't put as much stock into what people's reactions on message boards will be to my ideas. And I should, I really should, ya know? :)

The 50-song download is going to be where the real gems are, in my opinion. Plenty of new stuff to be excited about (for me at least... but don't take my word, I apparently put too much hype into things that let people down :). See also: my mom wanting grand kids).

Yes, there's no vinyl release. This is a personal and practical choice. I do not want a comp on vinyl — and if you think about it for longer than .2 seconds, you'll probably realize neither do you. I agree, it could have been nice. 20 tracks would have required for some pretty $$$ vinyl and again, I just don't feel like it's the most practical medium for a comp.

For the Hot Topic naysayers: Say what you will about the mall rats and overly commercialized...uh,-ness. There's very few national retailers with that kind of size and reach willing to take chances on projects like this. At the end of the day, Chris, Seth and I's jobs are to help promote our bands as much as possible. This seemed like a pretty good opportunity to do that.

Thanks for posting this, Thomas!
I have no issue with Hot Topic at all. I actually like the store quite a bit, and they've definitely been doing a lot of cool stuff lately. It's just frustrating for me because I have to drive pretty far to get to one, unless it will also be available online.
09:54 AM on 05/15/12
Shaymojack
User Info.
As much as I doubt my Hot Topic will have this I have noticed they tend to have at least a slightly better music selection than stores in a lot of bigger cities, so I guess I can hope.
09:57 AM on 05/15/12
MikeYabs
We are the only friends we have
User Info.
So glad hot topic is getting this. Will be my staff pick as I know there will be a lot of great bands on it. Hopefully kids get into some of this better music as a result of this comp existing
10:11 AM on 05/15/12
HTtravis
Hot Topic
User Info.
its about time Hot Topic kids get exposed to good music again.

Balance and Composure, Brand New, Touche Amore, Gaslight Anthem, Tigers Jaw, Slayer, Jimmy Eat World, Hot Water Music, La Dispute, Against Me, NOFX, Bad Religion, Pianos Become the Teeth, Blink-182, Dead To Me, The Beatles, Banner Pilot, Thrice, Thursday, Defeater, Metallica, The Wonder Years, Led Zeppelin, Title Fight.....just a very very small sample of some of the music that HT has supported for years.
10:16 AM on 05/15/12
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
Balance and Composure, Brand New, Touche Amore, Gaslight Anthem, Tigers Jaw, Slayer, Jimmy Eat World, Hot Water Music, La Dispute, Against Me, NOFX, Bad Religion, Pianos Become the Teeth, Blink-182, Dead To Me, The Beatles, Banner Pilot, Thrice, Thursday, Defeater, Metallica, The Wonder Years, Led Zeppelin, Title Fight.....just a very very small sample of some of the music that HT has supported for years.
supported, yeah. but those are bands that are "trendy." most of those bands you listed are like "the leaders" of their specific genres. i'm not saying Hot Topic doesn't sell good music, but it's not a very underground kind of place. that's why getting this new compilation could be really awesome for teenagers who want to hear something NEW, if that makes sense.
10:21 AM on 05/15/12
ParkAvenue
Death Before Decaf
User Info.
I'm definitely gonna try and pick this up.
11:20 AM on 05/15/12
calciumwaste
x
User Info.
supported, yeah. but those are bands that are "trendy." most of those bands you listed are like "the leaders" of their specific genres. i'm not saying Hot Topic doesn't sell good music, but it's not a very underground kind of place. that's why getting this new compilation could be really awesome for teenagers who want to hear something NEW, if that makes sense.
God forbid a business makes an effort to sell things that its patrons want to purchase. Hot Topic is not a charity, they aren't going to stock a CD if they think it won't sell and they're also not going to say "we won't stock this BOTDF CD that kids love because we think it's bad." For people who live in suburbia, Hot Topic can be the only place where the have access to releases from smaller punk labels. I think they've done a lot in terms of stocking CDs from local bands, most chains don't do that at all.
11:27 AM on 05/15/12
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
this is super cool. is there a list of stores that will be getting these?
11:36 AM on 05/15/12
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
Everything about this was a great idea.
Shows friendship, partnership and willingness to come together to do something cool.
If your disappointed in that ?? ........ ugh.
11:46 AM on 05/15/12
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
tracklisting or it didn't happen

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT