AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
SilverbySkyline - Goodbye Olympus Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.25
Production 7.25
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

SilverbySkyline - Goodbye Olympus

Reviewed by: randys950 (05/14/12)
SilverbySkyline - Goodbye Olympus
Release Date: April 2, 2012
Record Label:

Reigning from Mount Olympus, or somewhere around Scotland, SilverbySkyline emerges into the scene by releasing their debut EP, Goodbye Olympus. It's very easy to see these days that the growing number of young talent is very abundant in the music industry. It's tough to stay relevant in the always changing pop/punk-rock world, but it's even more difficult to become noticed amongst the thousands of small bands craving to make it big. SilverbySkyline takes their well deserved shot with this EP.

SilverbySkyline couldn't choose a better song to open up the album with other than "Can't Stand a Second". Eleven seconds in and one can be bobbing their head along with the track. Scotty Davidson's vocals soar and instantly hooks the unsuspecting listener to reel them in. The energy carries over into the next track, "November/December". Tommy Whitehead really shows off his amazing drumming abilities in this song which leaves me to wonder if anyone can keep up with this guy.

The EP changes the pace for the next couple songs by slowing down the tempo just a tad. "Here's to you. Kid" is highlighted by gang vocals that was executed perfectly. The unique moment soon disappears which left me wanting more. Davidson tests his vocal range, trying to match the powerful guitars played by Scott Lynch and Wayne Mickleburgh in "And I..." and comes out on top.

Goodbye Olympus does share its fair amount of flaws. At some points in the EP, the lyrics are very well written, but there are moments that show some weak points in the writing, and despite David's amazing voice, there were times I had difficulty trying to understand what words he was trying to pronounce. One could also become easily distracted in the middle of the album, in which a few of the songs seem to blend together.

SilverbySkyline has obviously decided to save their best for last, pouring every bit of their effort into "Too Little Too Late". The track can at first glance be easily confused as a Paramore song. The band sounds whole in this closer with every note, strum, and drum beat falling perfectly into place. The song ends with a very impressive bridge that leads into the final chorus. If I wanted to introduce my friends to new music, I'd begin with this song.

For a first release, the band delivered a very solid EP, with very little to improve on. It could use a little polishing around its rough edges, but I would love to see what the band could do with a full length under a record label. I wouldn't be too surprised if people started to hear their name around the scene a little more often.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Can't Stand a Second
2. November/December
3. Somethings Got to Give (The Summer Song)
4. Here's to You Kid
5. And I...
6. Too Little Too Late

SilverbySkyline is:
Scotty Davidson-Vocals
Wayne Mickleburg-Guitar
Scott Lynch-Guitar
Fraser Calder-Bass
Drums-Tom Whitehead

http://facebook.com/silverbyskyline

Recommended If You LikeMadina Lake, Finch, Paramore, Silverstein

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests