Username
Password
The Gaslight Anthem News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Gaslight Anthem
Inside AP.net

Interview: Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem

Posted by: Jason Tate (05/15/12)
Over the years I've worked on this website, there are a handful of interviews that have really stood out to me. A handful that I sit back and think, "yeah, those I'm really proud of." When I finished typing up the interview with Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem -- I immediately re-read through it, and had that feeling of pride. It's an interview that talks about a variety of topics, from the band's new album and the lyrical themes and "punishing sound" throughout, to the recent Against Me! news and Brian's thoughts on a wide range of topics. It's an interview that I think gets a little deeper into the mind of one of today's great songwriters -- and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did doing it.
From the Interview Sometimes when a new record's out people will come out and say something like, "so and so's overproduced" - and first of all: I didn't know that everybody and their mother had an engineering degree all of a sudden. And you'll have magazines doing the, "well, I like so and so's last album and the new one is just too over produced." And I kinda feel like calling up the magazine and saying, "Yeah, well - the article was great, but you know I don't really like the paper you printed this on." I mean, since when did all these people work the tape ops? Well, whatever ... the thing that was really cool this time - if you listen to our records, they're all really attempting to be these big sounding records. Attempting to sound huge. And I think on this one - we actually had all of the opportunities to do it with the kind of equipment we were using and we had 'the guy' that, well, that's what he does: he makes things sound huge. Even if you have this quiet acoustic song, somehow he's still able to make it sound huge when he's done with it. So, you know, I think that was really the coolest and I guess most different thing about this record.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
09:43 AM on 05/15/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Jesus christ, that must have been awesome interviewing him
10:10 AM on 05/15/12
Crackbaby
Stupid inflatable pants!
User Info.
I am really excited for this record.
10:17 AM on 05/15/12
seanthethief
User Info.
Damn Jason, such a great interview.
10:18 AM on 05/15/12
Crackbaby
Stupid inflatable pants!
User Info.
Goddammit I should be studying right now. Curse you Jason!
10:26 AM on 05/15/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
10:56 AM on 05/15/12
tonethehero
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You're the Fucking man Mr. Tate.
11:01 AM on 05/15/12
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
12:19 PM on 05/15/12
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
Awesome. Brian Fallon is the man.
12:42 PM on 05/15/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
This is great, Jason. He was sure ready to talk your ear off.

That's awesome.
01:22 PM on 05/15/12
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Amazing interview. Seems like a really great guy.

Can't wait for the record
04:38 PM on 05/15/12
DecemberFaded
Streets ahead.
User Info.
Haven't actually listened to them yet. Brian seems like a unique guy, though. Any albums you recommend I listen to first, Jason?
05:08 PM on 05/15/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Haven't actually listened to them yet. Brian seems like a unique guy, though. Any albums you recommend I listen to first, Jason?
Probably The 59 Sound.
09:53 PM on 05/15/12
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
I've endured the vicissitudes of loving/becoming bored with this band's music (45' has reignited my interest) recently but watching/reading Brian's interviews will never cease to be awesome. Good work Jason, this must have been awesome for you.
03:11 AM on 05/16/12
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Reading that quote from Jesse earlier today then this interview with Brian, you really see a huge difference in how each guys handles an interview. I love Brian honesty and straight-forwardness.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS