Ruin Everything - 05.17.12
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
Errr, Gary came up with it - It's sort of tongue in cheek and sort of not. I guess in hardcore you have a lot of people being brutal as fuck as often as they can which we, as people, don't really subscribe to. While we're in no way a posi band, I wouldn't say we go around hating everything. Ruin Everything is a cathartic thing that we do.
2. How did this band get started?
All four of us have known each other for quite a long time from previous bands, or living together when we were students. Rhys and Jon started writing together back at the start of 2011 before asking Gary to join about half way through the year. I (Andy) was the last addition, I think I got invited because I was up for it and am pretty good friends with the guys.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
A mixture of the stuff we've grown up with to more recent stuff, Poison the Well are a massive deal for us, as well as the Dillinger Escape Plan, The Fall of Troy and bands like Deftones. More recently we've all been loving Stray From The Path and Defeater. We're also big fans of a band called Jairus from Kent (UK) who just write really compelling music.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I think we'd all love to go out with Poison the Well, such a solid, unrelenting band that never wrote a bad record.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Burritos - to be honest, we'll eat whatever's going as long as there's a couple of meat free options.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we're just writing honestly, trying to play music that we love and that other people will love.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
For me I guess it would be someone like Kye Forte or Van Homan, although I'm probably the worst BMX rider in history so that's a bit far fetched. The other guys I have no idea about - we're quite a mixed group in terms of the sports we love.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd like for some of the bigger industry types on the booking and promotion side of things to recognise and support upcoming bands - I think the recording industry is wrecked, they didn't evolve to keep up with the changing ways people watched, listened and read content and as such they got left behind. I have no idea what the "fix" for this will be, but I'd love there to be one. I miss the days where people loved their bands.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Rhys, attempting to be the king of food.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's just an amazing site, our kind of music has always been about local scenes and the community that surrounds it - not just the musicians that play in it so for people to spend their time submitting to sites like AP.net it just shows that there are people out there that give a fuck.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
I love a song we've recently written called Ride Puncher but of stuff on the Lioniser EP - I think Leave No Man Behind is probably the most fun to play.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Anywhere in the world? New Zealand. In the UK? Cornwall.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
When I was a little kid, I used to like Blur. When I became a teenager I was really into Incubus.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd like to pause time.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Drink water, jump up and down.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We were all in prison together in the mid-90s
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I love the radio but in the UK it's a really pop-friendly environment musically. You've got some great 'niche' kind of shows on BBC Radio 1 and 6 Music with people like Daniel P. Carter but really, my big love for the radio comes out of the dry stuff - I listen to a lot of world news.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
The guys are all different - I like to ride BMX, play video games, fantasise about travelling the world and read - I read a lot.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can talk for like, 3 days straight.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |