I got started through a songwriting and recording artist workshop in New York City, where I was living at the time. I wrote and recorded one song with a producer and really loved the process. Shortly after that I moved to Los Angeles to further my songwriting skills, picking up the guitar along the way. Here I am, 4 1/2 years later!
3. What bands are you influenced by?
I grew up listening to a lot of country music, but also Motown and pop/hip hop, so my influences are wide spread. I am still influenced by the country artists such as The Judds, Reba McEntire that I grew up with, in addition to artists such as Patty Griffin, Tracy Chapman, Bonnie Rait, Stevie Wonder, Tina Dico, The Rescues, the list goes on for days.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Janet Jackson, but as a dancer, not singer. It's a re-occuring fantasy of mine. On a more realistic note, I think the Dolly Parton or Dixie Chicks would be a hoot and a holler to hang out and play music with. And, of course Patty Griffin because she breaks my heart in all the right places and leaves me speechless every time...in the best possible way.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Hard to say, as I've not yet toured. But my guess would be wherever the popular spot is for the locals is probably a good bet.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Hopefully because my music moves them in some way or provokes them to explore their own emotions. I try to be really honest about my perspective on what ever I'm writing about, but I don't always lay it out on the surface. You have to reach into it a bit. I think my music gives the listener something to sink their teeth into.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
An Olympic figure skater! I've had my free skate routine choreographed in my head for years!
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
No one, I did it all on my own! Just Kidding. Not to be cliche, but I'd probably thank God because I think the gift of song is a spiritual one. Then I would thank my husband and my family and the small group of 20-25 people that keep coming out to my shows and supporting me when I'm virtually an unknown artist. Of course I'd end with thanking Absolute Punk for posting this and helping to spread the word about my music!
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd like to see less reliance on social media as a determining factor in the potential of an indie artist. I'd also love to see a shift towards less of an image driven industry and more towards a MUSIC driven industry.
10. Memorable tour experience?
TBA- Stay tuned!
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net means a chance. A chance for an unknown indie artist like me to have the attention of a dynamic audience in a reputable way. I'm thankful for the opportunity.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Hmmm, depends on the mood I'm trying to get into or out of. Good/party mood- "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (MJ), sad/reflective mood - "I Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer" (Stevie Wonder) or "Rain" (Patty Griffin), anytime mood- anything by Adele.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Isla des Mujeres, Mexico. Go there. Love it! Also, Paso Robles, CA is wonderful too...if you like wine.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Country, Janet Jackson and Billy Ocean. My mom loved Billy Ocean!
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To be able to feed everyone on the planet! No one would go hungry.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I'm usually too nervous or busy to eat a meal, but I try to have a little protein and a little sugar to sustain me. Otherwise I'm like one of those shake weights.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I've lived in France
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
The jury is still out on that issue for me. I definitely classify myself as more of a niche artist with some mainstream appeal, but I'm not going to rely on radio as my main platform.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love to cook/bake and hang out with my Husband. We go to movies, hiking or dinner with friends. If I had more time/money though, I would travel everywhere I possibly could. There's so much of the world to see.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm a really good softball player (fast pitch) and I make awesome pizzas!