AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Academy Is News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

William Beckett Talks With Chicago Q101

Posted by - 12:41 PM on 05/23/12
William Beckett did an interview with Chicago radio station Q101 about his solo career/parting ways with The Academy Is...
From the InterviewAfter the release of Walk The Talk I will be releasing a new EP every 3 months for the rest of the year. Each EP picks up where the last left off and, once you collect them all, reveals the full story. I just finished recording the second EP, and I am currently on tour as we speak. The tour ends in Chicago, where it all started, on May 29th at Schubas. Then the next morning I fly to Japan to perform on the Beyond the Blue Tour, then I drop by the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia on the way home. The second EP drops soon after that and I’ll be heading back out on tour to support that release as well. More on that soon…

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
12:47 PM on 05/23/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I was stoked to go to his show at Schuba's but then the TEN/TWY show was scheduled for the same day.
12:59 PM on 05/23/12
Davey_Owens
User Info.
My favorite thing in the world is when you guys post the best part of the interview in the description. A lot of these interviews are boring to read, so thank you AP.net for weeding out the bullshit.
01:08 PM on 05/23/12
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
I was stoked to go to his show at Schuba's but then the TEN/TWY show was scheduled for the same day.
I am sure being from Chicago he will play a longer, but his set in Cleveland was very short. Probably between 8-10 songs. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but I was surprised.
01:14 PM on 05/23/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I am sure being from Chicago he will play a longer, but his set in Cleveland was very short. Probably between 8-10 songs. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but I was surprised.
Yeah I've seen him a few times solo so far and he's never played very long sets. Either way I'm not going anyways but your experience doesn't surprise me.
01:22 PM on 05/23/12
SHESmyRUSHMORE
User Info.
Not the biggest fan of the music they played on q101, but damn do I miss the djs on that station. Sherman and tingle were funny as hell and elecktra was awesome.
01:53 PM on 05/23/12
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
Yeah I've seen him a few times solo so far and he's never played very long sets. Either way I'm not going anyways but your experience doesn't surprise me.
Yeah, I enjoyed seeing the acoustic thing, but I would definitely go to that TEN show too. I am going to the Cleveland date this Friday and I am pumped. I enjoy all of the bands on the bill and then seeing an old favorite again will be pretty special.
02:57 PM on 05/23/12
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
User Info.
Well kinda Q101
03:09 PM on 05/23/12
kidinthebushes
User Info.
Is it officially back? Same DJs and everything?
03:48 PM on 05/23/12
freakster
When I fly solo, I fly so high!
User Info.

Yeah, it's Q87.7 fm. It's getting promoted as "Chicago's Underground" station. It sounds like the dj from the morning gets recorded and then they just play the recorded bits later in the evening. Some old songs are being tagged as "new" such as: TNAF "Young Blood", Neon Trees "Animal" or Young The Giant "My Body" among others but I can't complain. I'm glad we have a station that plays Alabama Shakes in Chicago.

I do, however, miss the old djs...especially electra. She was a hoot.
04:26 PM on 05/23/12
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
To a degree I think. The switch to talk news completely tanked so they brought back music. It's still under debate because 101.1 is still tanking.
06:09 PM on 05/23/12
MObassman
Slappin' da bass in El Famous
User Info.
Q101 isn't actually back. There's a new alternative radio station called Q87.7, or Underground Q. All new DJs n stuff. It's cool but just not the same.
08:58 PM on 05/23/12
cavern
amateur, imo
User Info.
Q87.7 is controlled by the same company that Q101 (aka WKQX) was (Merlin Media, llc). Basically, they must have realized that alternative music wasn't quite as dead here as they thought since the outcry was so negative when they switched to news format on 101.1. Q101 is actually now on WJJG-AM 1530 where it simulcasts the online stream. Kind of strange to see an alternative rock station on AM but whatever.

Q87.7 isn't that bad from what I've listened to, but I still prefer my college radio. Shrug. Still not impressed by what Q101 deems "alternative" but interviewing a former member of a band that was big 5 years ago is a step in the right direction, right?
09:43 PM on 05/23/12
aj32691
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't really miss q101 to be honest the only thing I do miss is local101. The DJs were cool though. Anyone know where they went? I know Elecktra got arrested but other than that I don't know anything about the rest

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos