Username
Password

04:57 PM on 05/25/12 
User Info.
Jaimehere
Support local music!
Philippines
Male - 23 Years Old
Anyone have/had jobs they took that was not (or not directly related) related to the degree they got in college? And how did it go?
10:57 PM on 05/25/12 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
Get ratchet, go dumb
omnipresent
Female
A lot of people (myself included) fall into this category. I studied education and environmental sustainability in college and ended up working in finance because it paid better than teaching (which would have required a post-graduate degree and even more money invested in school for a job with less pay). I make decent money but it's not emotionally satisfying work as I don't feel like I'm contributing anything positively toward society. It pays the bills though so I really can't complain too much. Ideally it would be nice to find a satisfying job which paid well and positively contributed toward humanity with only an undergraduate degree. I think though in the big picture nowadays, one needs to be realistic and realize that you might not end up in your dream job straight out of college or even after that, but as long as it's stable. pays the bills and doesn't make you want to kill yourself, you're doing alright.
12:37 AM on 05/26/12 
User Info.
Jaimehere
Support local music!
Philippines
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm gonna be graduating with a degree in marketing management in a month or so but I think I'll end up working in customer relations/operations in a hotel somewhere here.

Marketing wasn't my first choice (long story), Hotel and restaurant management was but hopefully the services marketing subject I took up last year will help me here.

Currently an intern in the marketing/sales department that my aunt owns, and damn is it boring... I can't imagine myself working like this for a number of years.
12:40 AM on 06/26/12 
User Info.
CarpetElf
Stay Hungry, Stay Free, Stay Lucky
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
I'll be back in 4 years.
05:43 AM on 06/26/12 
User Info.
zbrmike79
Ran Away From Home
Katonah, NY
Male - 27 Years Old
i graduated 3 years ago.

i've worked at a City Building Department, a Design Company, a Cafe, for an Electrician, for Readers Digest, as an estimator at a Spray-On FireProofing Company and done lots manual labor at a mental hospital.

i have a degree in Sociology.
05:15 PM on 06/26/12 
User Info.
whenyourearound
ad astra per aspera
Cranford, NJ
Male - 25 Years Old
Just graduated with an accounting degree. My dad pushed me into it freshman year and it took until my senior year to realize that it might not be for me. I'm going to try it out and see how much I really like it, but if not then I'll try to do something I actually enjoy.
09:27 PM on 06/26/12 
User Info.
karadotcollett
altmusiclife.tumblr.com
Atlanta, GA
Female - 22 Years Old
I'm getting a sociology degree so it's like 95% likely whatever I do will have nothing to do with it.
12:47 PM on 07/02/12 
User Info.
on_the_stereo
We're All Wednesday, Aren't We?
United Kingdom
Male
Did a History & Philosophy degree and ended up working in fundraising for a conservation charity. Worked out alright, although I'm keen to get involved with the media and communications side of things in the future. Do quite a few face-to-face events which is great fun, really enjoy working for the company that I do.
07:07 PM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
TheMystery
No Avatar Selected
I believe this can relate to almost anyone.
05:49 PM on 07/09/12 
User Info.
theagentcoma
Mouthpiece for the Mental
Seattle
Male - 26 Years Old
I was a history major

I'm a nanny now
07:05 PM on 07/09/12 
User Info.
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
Bristow, VA
Male - 24 Years Old
This is actually fairly common. I remember in high school when the college counselor had a meeting for families, she asked the room how many parents have a job that is not directly related to your major and I'd say a good 90% of them raised their hands.
06:23 AM on 07/10/12 
User Info.
Jaimehere
Support local music!
Philippines
Male - 23 Years Old
Just got accepted in a deluxe hotel, will be working in the front desk but I might go to the marketing/sales department if I don't enjoy being in the front desk, will try it out first before doing anything.

The general manager was surprisingly very accommodating.
08:55 AM on 07/10/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
I'm currently working at an Environmental Engineering firm even though I'm an English major.
11:46 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
CarlFarbman
last.fm/user/CarlFarbman
Bellevue, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Totally in this boat.

I have a bachelors in Business - I don't know why I got that stupid degree.

My day job is in IT - I'm a self taught Software Engineer and Systems Engineer. I should have got a Comp Science degree instead. That would have been the relevant option.
12:04 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 24 Years Old
I have a English degree and I work for the Department of Homeland Security. Horrible hours with rotating shifts, so my sleep patterned is completely fucked.

(...part of me still wants to teach though, so if this gets stale, that's what I'll most likely use my degree)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos