AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lost In Kostko - You're Gonna Need A Towel Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Lost In Kostko - You're Gonna Need A Towel

Reviewed by: Archael (05/26/12)
Lost In Kostko - You're Gonna Need A Towel
Record Label: *Unsigned
Release Date: June 14, 2011

SummarySay hello to your new favorite Pop Punk band.

Little sisters are rarely useful (read: sarcasm). Often times, the taste that prepubescent girls have in entertainment is questionable particularly when we're dealing with Twilight. The overt success of the book, and a few similar to it, spurred an explosion of vampire and werewolf-based books and television programs. One of which is Teen Wolf.

One day, my sister informed me that lead actor of Teen Wolf, Tyler Posey, actually was in a rock band of his own. So I set off to find out for myself. When I did, I came in fully thinking something along the lines of the Jonas Brothers but what I got out from Posey's band was something much better.

Say hello to your new favorite Pop Punk band, Lost In Kostko.

You're Gonna Need A Towel is divided into two parts: an acoustic part (tracks 6-8) and a non-acoustic part (tracks 1-5).

The album begins with the track "Somebody" a song with a similar tone to that of Dammit from Blink-182's Dude Ranch. It's a song about dealing with the desire to stand out from the crowd something almost every teenager has had to face at one point on their life.

However, almost instantly, you can tell that Lost In Kostko is far from your standard Pop Punk. What really makes Lost In Kostko worthwhile: the guitars. The guitar work is heavy when compared to overall the poppy style of the band. It is in "Dexter" where their best asset truly shines. The track has a very melodic and very catchy opening riff that is only supplemented by the dual vocal chorus. You'll find catchy yet aggressive riffs and quality songwriting in abundance in the first five tracks of the album.

"Footsteps" is an uplifting pop punk tune about Posey's relationship with his younger brother. In it, Posey belts the endearing chorus such as "You're one-of-a-kind; you're following in my footsteps, though I'd trade your path for mine. And I know that it gets hard at times, but I'm sorry to say that it isn't and it won't be the last time." The track "Night" is a tender and serenade that takes the best parts of a Mayday Parade ballad with a bit less cheese on the side but with more blunt lyrics. Both songs portray some of Lost In Kostko's best qualities.

Of course, the album is not without its missteps. The intro "Sorry To Disappoint" sounds like it came straight out of a Man Overboard EP, but that's as good as it gets as the lyrical content well beneath the rest of the album's standards. In addition, Posey's voice is far from great: it can often be considered inexperienced and monotone and in "Sorry To Disappoint", Posey's delivery just becomes ridiculously grating. Moreover, "Thank You" is sorely lacking in energy. Although it's understandable considering "Thank You" serves as the non-acoustic half's closer, lulling the listener with it's descresendoing outro so as to transition the album smoothly into the slower acoustic half of the album.

If you're looking for refreshing Pop Punk, then you need not look further. You're Gonna Need A Towel is an excellent debut that will assuredly not disappoint.

And to my sister, I'll have to tell you something I thought I'd never have to say: "Thanks...for liking Twilight."

7/10 - Great

ParametersVocals - 5
Musicianship - 8
Lyrics - 6
Production - 7
Creativity - 6
Lasting Value - 7

Auxilary InformationGenre - Pop Punk / Alternative Rock

Tracklisting:
1. Somebody
2. Dexter
3. Sorry To Disappoint
4. Footsteps
5. Thank You
6. Night
7. Save It For Tomorrow
8. Separate Ways

Recommended If You LikeBlink-182 - Dude Ranch, All Time Low - The Party Scene, Green Day - Kerplunk!, Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave, Real Friends - Everyone That Dragged You Here, Man Overboard - Human Highlight Reel, Bayside - Killing Time, Hit The Lights - This Is A Stick Up, I Call Fives Bad Advice, Yellowcard - Paper Walls, Mayday Parade - Mayday Parade

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
05:43 PM on 05/28/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
This is seriously good pop punk guys, try this song at least.
06:16 PM on 05/28/12
Nexus Strife
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, this band is great. And dang that RIYL is expansive, but still accurate.
10:38 AM on 11/14/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
so yeah, this is still one of the better pop punk albums to come out recently
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles