AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Bamboozle News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Bamboozle: Day 3 Report

Posted by - 12:55 PM on 05/28/12
Through the midst of a long weekend of music and this holiday weekend, it seems my report from Sunday's Bamboozle was never posted. If you're curious about my experiences, you can read them in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
12:55 PM on 05/28/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ReportWelcome to day 2 of a long freaking weekend for me. I’m going to try and keep this as grammatically correct as possible because I am NOT writing this at 3 AM after being in the heat all day.

Being ten minutes from the festival, I drove myself and Thomas Nassiff to a side street about a quarter mile from the back entrance of the venue. An empty street and free parking with no cops and kids in sight to ruin my plan? Sign me up for a great start to the day.

I intended to start my day with more of The Story So Far, however; due to Patent Pending’s appearance at the Billboard Music Awards, This Good Robot opened up the stage and it bumped the other bands back. I know that I originally was very impressed with the band yesterday but this set didn’t do it for me at all. There was a lot more screaming this time around but I think that can be contributed to the fact that the band lost their singing voices throughout their multiple sets throughout the weekend.

For those not in the know, This Good Robot and Patent Pending’s singers are brothers. I think the crowd missed that when Michael Ragosta announced PP’s absence from the festival and said something to the effect of “f*** that band.” Otherwise, their set was underwhelming for me, but I think I caught them when they were too fatigued to perform at their best.

I walked over to the main stage to catch the end of Mariana’s Trench. The Canadian pop act has been creating quite a buzz recently after working hard for several years prior to the mainstream success. While I was only to catch the last two songs, I can tell the band has the potential to be “it.” They have the look and the sound, they just need to build upon what they’re doing and write more tracks at a higher standard. The one song was a synth-laden standard pop track, but their closer that I assume was their single, was very catchy. The crowd (Ok, middle school and high school aged girls) was very responsive to it, singing along and jumping around. If the band can write a couple more show-stealing kind of songs, they could be one of Canada’s biggest imports.

After that, I waited for a few minutes and finally got to see Boys Like Girls. Yes, I liked them when I was 16 years old and I still think their debut full-length was some very solid pop rock. The band opened with “The Great Escape,” which ignited the main stage and the crowd. Following it with a decent performance of “Hero/Heroine,” the band slowed it down to premiere a new song – “Be My Everything.” This is a summer-y mid-tempo pop jam that will be playing through your radio waves soon enough this summer. It builds into a huge, catchy chorus and ends with one of my favorite elements in a song, a key change. I’m sure Bon Jovi would appreciate it.

Taking some time to meet up with some friends, I went inside to Convention Hall to check out Action Item. I first recall seeing this band five years ago playing the battle of the bands competition to play Bamboozle, and my, how they have changed. The once sloppy pop-rock band of yesterday has transformed itself into a Disney pop machine, touring with the likes of Allstar Weekend and more. The band used a high school drum line to accompany its first song, which was a sight to behold. It filled the historical hall with the booming roars of the percussion. Throughout the set, I kept asking myself why this band isn’t bigger. They have everything needed to be a successful pop band; maybe they’re waiting in the wings for their turn. Either way, keep an eye on this band if you haven’t yet. They have big things in front of them.

What could be a better way to transition from sugary pop music than a little bit of metal to liven you up? Equal Vision Records’ Texas In July have been making quite a name for themselves since their label debut. The young Christian act from Lancaster, PA (The same hometown as August Burns Red) tore up the Saints & Sinners stage, rifling through a solid mix of old and new songs. The set highlight for me was “Hook, Line, & Sinner.”

After being immersed in metal, I made my way over to the main stage to watch hometown boys The Gaslight Anthem. This will make it, if I’m not mistaken, the 11th time I have seen this band in 4 years. I’ve watched them grow from playing a hole-in-the-wall venue in Pennsylvania to being one of the major draws for The Bamboozle two years in a row. In a tribute to MCA, the band walked out to the Beastie Boys’ “Sabotage.” However, I’ve seen Gaslight Anthem so many times, I know what their set is going to mostly be like, at least from what I’ve seen. They went through their usual mix of The ’59 Sound tracks, sprinkling in an old song or two and of course playing stuff off their last release American Slang.

Curiosity and a willingness to see Comeback Kid led me over to the Zumiez stage where I was greeted with what seemed to be one of the biggest pits of the weekend. The hardcore veterans put a lot of the younger bands to shame, as they still exude more energy and passion than I see from many of today’s acts. They played some of their oldest and newest work, and quite frankly, it didn’t matter to me. I can always enjoy and appreciate good hardcore when done properly.

My final band I saw was, of course, Brand New. I have never seen the band before but their reputation, both on and off the stage, has led me to a negative view of the band. Between their egocentric performances and mannerisms to plainly not caring about anyone but themselves, I’d be hard-pressed to say I actually support this band. Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu are genre-defining albums, but Devil and God and Daisy did not do it for me. Even though the band opened with “Bangkok” and transitioned into “Tommy Gun” and “Sic Transit,” I had no interest in listening to songs that don’t do it for me. Sorry guys, but I find this whole new scene of noise/post-hardcore/whatever you call it just not for me. Especially in the type of setting where the sound isn’t even contained, it just sounded like a droning noise. I will give them lots of respect for covering Nine Inch Nails but I’m too much of an older Brand New fan and was hoping for them to play older material.

Walking around the festival grounds, I ran into Thomas Nassiff and Ian from Hopeless and we listened to six new Yellowcard songs. Wait, what?

--The end.
01:07 PM on 05/28/12
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 700 bands!
User Info.
Yeah I don't understand people saying how Brand New is a great live act. They mumble through every song and scream lyrics for no reason. I saw them twice, once at Boozle 07 and another was a headlining show right before Daisy came out. Both times, the vocals were sloppy and the band seemed like they didn't care about playing. I didn't attend Boozle but I saw this video and it sounds like nothing has changed:

01:17 PM on 05/28/12
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
I could not possibly disagree more about Brand New. That set was by far the best I saw all weekend. I understand why you'd be disappointed, but oh well
01:31 PM on 05/28/12
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
I don't care about any of this except that you heard 6 new YC songs.
What the eff.

HOW ARE THEY?
01:34 PM on 05/28/12
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
i guess brand new is hit or miss. they tore it up in sf last year

edit: they should never play in daylight. it aint right
01:36 PM on 05/28/12
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
Oh come on. Brand New had easily the best set of the weekend along with the Foo Fighters. Awesome live.
01:41 PM on 05/28/12
MikeYabs
We are the only friends we have
User Info.
It was nice meeting you at bamboozle when you bumped into Thomas on day 3. Great writeup. We ended up seeing mostly the same bands.
02:08 PM on 05/28/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I could not possibly disagree more about Brand New. That set was by far the best I saw all weekend. I understand why you'd be disappointed, but oh well
I don't like Devil and God or Daisy so this set was not for me.
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't care about any of this except that you heard 6 new YC songs.
What the eff.

HOW ARE THEY?
So. Damn. Good.
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh come on. Brand New had easily the best set of the weekend along with the Foo Fighters. Awesome live.
If you liked it, fuck yea! Like I said, not a fan of their newer stuff and that's what they played.
02:09 PM on 05/28/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It was nice meeting you at bamboozle when you bumped into Thomas on day 3. Great writeup. We ended up seeing mostly the same bands.
Yes dude! Great meeting all of you guys as well. Small world in bringing us together!
02:09 PM on 05/28/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
itd be worth it just to hear the 6 new yellowcard songs lol
02:13 PM on 05/28/12
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
better than When You're Through Thinking?
Is Always Summer a good indication on how it's going to sound?
03:30 PM on 05/28/12
senSedative12
NJ Sexuality
User Info.
Yeah I don't understand people saying how Brand New is a great live act. They mumble through every song and scream lyrics for no reason. I saw them twice, once at Boozle 07 and another was a headlining show right before Daisy came out. Both times, the vocals were sloppy and the band seemed like they didn't care about playing. I didn't attend Boozle but I saw this video and it sounds like nothing has changed:

100% agreed.. It almost seems like Jesse thinks people want him to perform every song out of tune in a mixture between heroin addict gibberish and sick, dying animal screamo. I don't doubt for a second that anyone who isn't/wasn't a dedicated BN fan would have a tough time trying to figure out what most of the songs being played even were. I was hoping so desperately that they would've at least put on a decent show for Bamboozle, but at the end of the day I realized I still expect way too much from Jesse.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos