Username
Password

Album Review

Coasta - Coasta EP Album Cover

Coasta - Coasta EP

Reviewed by
Coasta - Coasta EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: Summer 2012 (or available here)
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
There's something special about Coasta. In literature, that's called (bad) foreshadowing. But whatever, listening to the band's introductory, self-titled EP leaves you with the distinct impression that there is still life in the world of slow-grooving indie-rock. (Did you even know that genre was dying? Or did I make the genre up? We'll never know.) With this smattering of thoughtful, easily penetrable atmospheric-y rock songs, Coasta re-introduce us to a sound we thought dead with As Tall As Lions (or with the more interesting Circa Survive songs).

Think of the Coasta EP as an initiation of sorts. I don't mean to imply it's a record that requires listener work, because from moment one of the jive-y, introspective nature of "Young Blood" and its lines, "Shake shake / Won't you come and dance with me / Wild and free and now we're on the street / Young blood come around to make a name / Shoot for the kill and kill for the fame," it becomes clear that simple motifs are going to be given an interesting twist. Oh, and the drumming is right on.

Then even though we know this band like a distant cousin, "The Slide" twists the formula. Like a refined and less-drunk Deer Tick, guitars strummed for miles lead into one of those scratchy guitar solos you never hear unless you're a broken-hearted son of a bitch in some sick sad Southern town. But to say "The Slide" isn't one of the most exciting songs of 2012 is also wrong. It's a true genre-buster.

Then we get "Michael Traction" and "Sirens," two more chances for the band to show us the path they're taking us on is one with many off-shoots. At times almost surf rock-y and always dynamic, we hear lines like, "You know I'm just fine / And see through, got my plans too / This is over with, cause you're wasting my time / I said you were a waste of my time." All the while, the band tugs us along with sky-reaching guitars and less-heavy stanzas that seem to know exactly where we want our emotions to land. Say what you want about debuts, but Coasta do not sound like a new band.

Man, I don't know. Coasta just get it. Like, it's rare when something comes along anymore and requires little while giving you a lot. Sometimes I get sick of having to "dive" into an album to understand all the bullshit layers for some dude in an ironic turtleneck to describe a breakup he probably caused. Whatever, this isn't about me and my lack of emotional maturity. What this is, however, is a chance to stick a marker in the ground that says, "I remember when Coasta were awesome from the very beginning." I don't fully intend to "hype" this band, because that is so silly and idiotically egotistical. However, we should feel lucky and proud to be here now, listening to this.

Recommended If You Like: As Tall As Lions, Brand New, The Tower and the Fool, Circa Survive

we love depressing thingscoasta.bandcamp.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
09:17 PM on 05/28/12
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
Really looking forward to see how these guys progress. Digging the EP.
09:56 AM on 05/29/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not one mention of the word Lacey. that alone in my mind brings this review up several notches.
10:16 AM on 05/29/12
RyanGarner
Registered Member
User Info.
Not one mention of the word Lacey. that alone in my mind brings this review up several notches.
This. I might actually check the EP out now.
10:31 AM on 05/29/12
TimMcGreevy
SaveMyWishes
User Info.
Absolutely cannot wait for this to come out on vinyl at the end of the summer.

Youngblood is a killer jam.
10:52 AM on 05/29/12
MILFCORE
User Info.
Is he the one singing?
10:53 AM on 05/29/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is he the one singing?
This is Jesse's brother's band, which is pretty much the main reason that they're beginning to get some hype right now.

Not dissing their music at all, but without that name drop, they wouldn't be signed right now. 100%
11:08 AM on 05/29/12
thisisntworking
Run for Cover Records
User Info.
This is Jesse's brother's band, which is pretty much the main reason that they're beginning to get some hype right now.

Not dissing their music at all, but without that name drop, they wouldn't be signed right now. 100%
I really don't think it's fair to say someone's brother is the main reason they're getting hype. They're getting hype because they're really good, if you ask me.
11:10 AM on 05/29/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really don't think it's fair to say someone's brother is the main reason they're getting hype. They're getting hype because they're really good, if you ask me.
I know they're really good. But there are plenty of great bands out there that aren't getting this amount of hype. I feel that that small push towards relevance came from the fact that he's a Lacey.

It's the little things that help push a band to the next level, and who knows for sure, but nobody heard about them until about a week or two ago, and a couple days later, they were signed. The originally news post may have had about 5 replies instead of 50+ without the Lacey name drop.

As I said, this says NOTHING about their music, they're a great band. But in a publicity sense, it's helped a ton.
11:12 AM on 05/29/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this

and it's not like they've been rocketed to super stardom or something. a small group of the internet heard of them because of a relationship. it's no different than some shitty metalcore band doing some shitty viral video that everyone complains about but still somehow works.

whatevs, i didn't mention him because the album is good DESPITE that connection.
11:14 AM on 05/29/12
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Awesome review and I completely agree. Gave the EP one listen a few weeks ago and was instantly loving it.
11:16 AM on 05/29/12
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Shoot for the kill and kill for the fame. Love that line.
11:26 AM on 05/29/12
thisisntworking
Run for Cover Records
User Info.
I know they're really good. But there are plenty of great bands out there that aren't getting this amount of hype. I feel that that small push towards relevance came from the fact that he's a Lacey.

It's the little things that help push a band to the next level, and who knows for sure, but nobody heard about them until about a week or two ago, and a couple days later, they were signed. The originally news post may have had about 5 replies instead of 50+ without the Lacey name drop.

As I said, this says NOTHING about their music, they're a great band. But in a publicity sense, it's helped a ton.
I get what you're saying, but if it makes a difference the band hasn't said one word about who's Jamey's brother is, asked to not have it apart of the press release we sent out, etc. They want to be known for their awesome songs, and thats why they're going to be known.
11:45 AM on 05/29/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I get what you're saying, but if it makes a difference the band hasn't said one word about who's Jamey's brother is, asked to not have it apart of the press release we sent out, etc. They want to be known for their awesome songs, and thats why they're going to be known.

I respect that, entirely. But the press got hold of that anyways, and it definitely helped, even if they didn't want it to.

Nothing I'm saying should be taken against the band one bit.
12:25 PM on 05/29/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I respect that, entirely. But the press got hold of that anyways, and it definitely helped, even if they didn't want it to.

Nothing I'm saying should be taken against the band one bit.
yeah them not wanting it to be a big deal is a no-brainer in a community like this. plus, they knew they didn't have to mention it/will be asked about it AD NAUSEUM.

album rules, end of story

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version