AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

06:54 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
DooDooBird
But what about the fact that two AL teams who missed the playoffs have a better record than his team?

I just don't seeing the Tigers winning the central if Miguel Cabrera isn't on the club. I can't believe so many people are fuming about the possibility of him winning MVP. I'm a Trout fan too, but I just don't see anything wrong at all with Miggy taking home the award.
06:59 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
DooDooBird
Looks like the marlins are seeking another manager to replace Ozzie.

Bobby Valentine!
07:03 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
Aww they pulled Granderson. Would've loved to see him get 4 HRs just to rub it in the faces of all the Cabera fanbois who think that the triple crown stats are the only three that matter and getting 87 wins in the Central is more impressive than 89 and the West. (Triple Crown is still pretty awesome. Don't want to take that away from Miguel. But Trout clearly had the better season as a whole)

Who thinks that 87 wins in the Central is more impressive than 89 in the West? Never heard anyone claim this.
07:11 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
He played on a team that grossly underperformed to expectations all year and ended up with the 7th-best record in the league. He didn't "lead" anything.

Come on now, of course he lead the team. They didn't win as many as they should have, but he certainly didn't have anything to do with that.
07:51 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
Who thinks that 87 wins in the Central is more impressive than 89 in the West? Never heard anyone claim this.

I have.
07:55 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
CubbyNick42
@NickDevlin
Atlanta, GA
Male - 28 Years Old
Explain, Evan.
08:18 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male

My friend is texting me right now about how Detroit being in the playoffs matters for the MVP, and that the AL Central is tougher than the AL West.

"More talent."
08:29 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
DaveFeelsRight
it's still real to me dammit
sweet home chicago
Male - 24 Years Old

Bobby V to the marlins and Ozzie to the red sox
08:36 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
CubbyNick42
@NickDevlin
Atlanta, GA
Male - 28 Years Old
My friend is texting me right now about how Detroit being in the playoffs matters for the MVP, and that the AL Central is tougher than the AL West.

"More talent."
Well that's an interesting position.
08:38 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Dumbest shit, esp. re: best record/WC. They set the damn thing up to reward winning the division. So what's your reward? One guaranteed home game in the ALDS.

It is only this year because of scheduling.
09:05 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old

Plenty of people have tried to pull the "Tigers made the playoffs" line as to why Cabera should win
09:13 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Sandberg to third, samuel to first. Henderson hitting coach.
09:32 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
I just don't seeing the Tigers winning the central if Miguel Cabrera isn't on the club. I can't believe so many people are fuming about the possibility of him winning MVP. I'm a Trout fan too, but I just don't see anything wrong at all with Miggy taking home the award.

i gotta agree with you on this one doodoo. I understand the arguments for Trout and if he won i wouldn't be upset, but i DONT understand why someone would be fuming if Cabrera won. This is isnt one of those things where its like, "well cabrera hit the most home runs so he should be the mvp". Of course not. He leads a myriad of offensive stats. its like they're not letting themselves see the other side of the coin. I know WAR is almighty, and there are other statistics to help trout out, but in my opinion, i think this is one of those moments where this doesn't have to get complicted.
09:44 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
Genuma
Plainfield, IL
Male
If it comes down to a Yankees-Cardinals WS I'm going to be the saddest person. I literally like every other team in the post-season.
09:46 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male
i gotta agree with you on this one doodoo. I understand the arguments for Trout and if he won i wouldn't be upset, but i DONT understand why someone would be fuming if Cabrera won. This is isnt one of those things where its like, "well cabrera hit the most home runs so he should be the mvp". Of course not. He leads a myriad of offensive stats. its like they're not letting themselves see the other side of the coin. I know WAR is almighty, and there are other statistics to help trout out, but in my opinion, i think this is one of those moments where this doesn't have to get complicted.

Cabrera leads in Batting average (barely), Slugging %, OPS (because OPS is flawed in that it puts more weight on SLG than OBP, and Trout has a higher OBP), RBIs, HR, and Runs Created (by only 1, which speaks more to Trout's ability than Cabrera's).

I wouldn't call that a "myriad of stats." This isn't about WAR vs. "old-school stats."

It's about common-sense: it's not the most valuable HITTER award. Even if it was, Trout's been worth more offensive WAR. Trout's done more "in the clutch" (going by Win Probability Added) than any other player in the league (Cabrera is fourth). Cabrera's defense has COST his team runs.

Trout has been an all-around better player.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos