Password

Album Review

Gates - You Are All You Have Left To Fear Album Cover

Gates - You Are All You Have Left To Fear

Reviewed by
GatesYou Are All You Have Left To Fear
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 29, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
With their debut EP The Sun Will Rise And Lead Me Home, Gates proved their skill with instrumentation. The guitar riffs and drums were simply beautiful – not unlike the music of Explosions in the Sky or on Moving Mountains’ Pneuma. However, the guys clearly had some work to do in the vocal department, with Kevin Dye simply needing a little more time to hone in on his sound.

Well, sure enough, it’s been a year since we last heard from Gates, and what difference such a small amount of time can make. Returning with You Are All You Have Left To Fear, Gates prove yet again how graceful music really can be.

First things first, the stunning production is noted within the first seconds of the guitar tones on “They Only See Shadows.” The Sun Will Rise inevitably lacked in the production process – it was very, very raw – but You Are All You Have Left To Fear sounds stunning. The guitars are clean and concise, the vocals are still raw, yes, yet controlled – it’s intricate…inviting. Dye also sounds considerably better vocally, with his raw edge in tremendous harmony with the music composition throughout “Cast in the Pattern.”

The instrumental “To Those Who Fell…” envelops the listener in a black hole of delicate music, while the following “…And To Those Who Carry On” will undoubtedly please fans of Moving Mountains, with Dye owning up to his role as front man, towering above the dazzling guitars. Closer “The Sound of Letting Go” highlights every stunning piece of this EP into one final four minutes of grace. The intricate guitars, rocketing vocal take off, and calming drums meld into a spectacular harmony of music.

As the You Are All You Have Left To Fear ends, it leaves you only wanting more – we have been sucked into a black hole of beauty. The music is truly enchanting, with the rough vocals juxtaposing such gracefulness in an oddly harmonic fashion. In just a year’s time, Gates have improved remarkably. Here’s to hoping a full length is in the works soon, but until then, put on some headphones and get lost in this music.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
08:46 AM on 05/30/12
syntax omitted
User Info.
I don't know. I guess it just bothers me when people compare any and every band with ambient guitars to EITS.

Anyway, great EP and nice review. The Sun Will Rise and Lead Me Home was my favorite EP of last year so it's taking me some time to enjoy this as much. I'm sure with a few more listens, I'll fall in love with it.
08:54 AM on 05/30/12
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
great review ryan, ep is amazing, probably my favourite release of the year thus far, it really caught me by surprise. also i'm not sure if it's the vocals or the music itself, but these eps remind me a lot of mineral or 90's emo.
08:58 AM on 05/30/12
Billy_Pilgrim
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this EP so much. It's also worth noting, given your review, that Kevin also recorded and mixed the record. Hats and hats and hats and hats.
09:07 AM on 05/30/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
gave this a spin last night. it's very good. has a less abrasive Republic of Wolves feel to my ears. but whatever, it's real good and, although being very serious, doesn't wear you out.
09:55 AM on 05/30/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Prior EP was indeed promising but I too wasn't totally sold on the vocals. I get more of a first-two-albums FSF vibe with the two songs I've heard so far, though. Much stronger. Downloading now.
10:19 AM on 05/30/12
pleasedontpanic
I believe. Help my unbelief.
User Info.
This is great. I thought this with the last ep, but they definitely have a 90s emo band vibe. There some band that they keep on reminding me of, maybe The Appleseed Cast.
10:33 AM on 05/30/12
rushour144
User Info.
I don't know. I guess it just bothers me when people compare any and every band with ambient guitars to EITS.

Anyway, great EP and nice review. The Sun Will Rise and Lead Me Home was my favorite EP of last year so it's taking me some time to enjoy this as much. I'm sure with a few more listens, I'll fall in love with it.
It does me too, but this band actually does sound like EITS haha! The guitar work on this new album especially has moments that I felt as if I was listening to EITS (minus the singing haha)
11:30 AM on 05/30/12
Viva Sonata
gooberplex.tumblr.com
User Info.
Love this record. Words do it no justice.
11:54 AM on 05/30/12
theagentcoma
Mouthpiece for the Mental
User Info.
RIYL dictates that I will love this
12:10 PM on 05/30/12
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
As the You Are All You Have Left To Fear ends, it leaves you only wanting more – we have been sucked into a black hole of beauty.

I love this line. Great review.
12:20 PM on 05/30/12
Clintoto
thefifties.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Getting better with every listen. This is a majestic masterpiece.
12:49 PM on 05/30/12
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
awesome, I was just thinking yesterday that I didn't know a decent post-rock release from 2012 (suggestions are appreciated). I shall listen to this immediately
01:38 PM on 05/30/12
Austin Davis
god damn, this just feels right
User Info.
awesome, I was just thinking yesterday that I didn't know a decent post-rock release from 2012 (suggestions are appreciated). I shall listen to this immediately
Sigur Ros' Valtari, although it just came out two days ago. And it's much more ambient like their older albums.
01:49 PM on 05/30/12
Tele72
User Info.
Another great Ep! Between this, I the Mighty and Night Verses I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick an EPOTY

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos