Password

Album Review

Hot Water Music - Exister Album Cover

Hot Water Music - Exister

Reviewed by
Hot Water MusicExister
Release Date: May 15, 2012
Record Label: Rise Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Hot Water Music is very much an essential pioneer of its genre. The band’s punk sound, with gruff vocals and barreling dual guitars, is one that has been copied time and time again over the last decade, so having the Gainesville-native legends back for another round in the ring is a pretty big deal. Not only is another Hot Water Music album highly anticipated for its potential greatness, but with Exister, the band has the chance to either cement its all-time importance or paint a slight tarnish on its existing legend.

The album doesn’t really reach either of those extremes. In its debut for the Portland-based Rise Records, Chuck Ragan, Chris Wollard and Co. put on something of a clinic of punk rock, but certain tracks are clearly much better than others. The mid-tempo first single, “Drag My Body,” is a definite standout – Jason Black’s bassline is prominent and as good as old fans will remember, while George Rebelo’s drums also shine – but Ragan’s vocals glue this track together. “I’m hardly feeling human anymore / Enough to drag my body from the floor,” he sings in the chorus, the catchiness of the refrain grappling listeners’ attention away from the grittiness of the guitars. “Drag My Body” is a track that should frequent the best of hard rock and roll radio stations, and it’s deserving of such recognition.

The more aggressive, faster-paced songs are the choice cuts from Exister. Opener “Mainland” and probable single “State of Grace” are blistering, while “Boy You’re Gonna Hurt Someone” and “Safety” don’t quite benefit from their slower tempos. The former is simply an awkward listen, and the latter gets dull at times. While the band should be given its kudos for churning out a 13-song effort instead of a phoned-in reunion record, Exister does drag on at times. However, the title track is another highlight, as the group’s veteran experience should provide younger bands with a reminder of the fundamentals of this genre – with the rhythm section still being the most dynamic and identifiable part of the group’s sound.

The record falters as listeners enter its second half, with “Take No Prisoners” and “The Traps” being the focus tracks from the B-side, but the energy is severely lacking. What younger bands lack in experience, they make up for in raw passion – and for younger fans, Exister should ideally be a bit more energetic. However, that’s not the point here – Ragan and Wollard are far beyond writing songs about the anxiety and insecurity of the college-aged, and they should be. After all, we don’t want another Caution or The New What’s Next – we want the band to write what it wants to write. And Exister is just that – the exact record Hot Water Music wanted to come back for. And they owned it. It’s punk rock for the same fans who loved Hot Water Music years ago. Most bands would be lucky to still be this tight after two decades together.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
10:25 PM on 05/31/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Need to spend some more time with this record, but good review
10:48 PM on 05/31/12
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
never gave these guys enough of a listen before, but I'm totally diggin this
11:31 PM on 05/31/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Scores too low. This record is every bit as good as On the Impossible Past.
12:26 AM on 06/01/12
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
One of the best albums the band has recorded. Four dudes at the top of their game in nearly every way.
12:31 AM on 06/01/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
great record.

The New What Next is still my favorite.
12:53 AM on 06/01/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Favorite tracks are "Boy" and "The Traps".
Both voices are amazing but I really connect with Wollard's emotionally.

Most of all I'm just happy and grateful this band is still around and making new music.
The album might not be their best ever but it's very good and solid, and has new life to it.
01:45 AM on 06/01/12
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Good review Thomas. I think the score is spot on and you do well to explain how some tracks are just lacking that little bit of "something"...
02:55 AM on 06/01/12
OldSchoolReason
User Info.
I think some of Chuck's best HWM songs are on this record- I also think he has never sounded better than on this album. He adds vibrato to his gruff which ups his intensity even further vocally.
04:39 AM on 06/01/12
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
This album rules. But it's probably their sixth best. Second half is better IMO.
05:52 AM on 06/01/12
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.
Great album. First time I've listened to these guys but enjoyed it a lot.
05:56 AM on 06/01/12
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
User Info.
I think this is a review most Hot Water Music fans would agree with, a lot of people I've talked to have felt the same. But for me, this album didn't have any weak spots, it was great all the way through & something that I'm sure will stand the test of time in my personal music collection. Love this band.
06:05 AM on 06/01/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Yeah, 4 stars for sure. Great record. Doesn't have the complexity of pre-Epitaph era, or the moody restraint of The New What Next, but it rocks/is catchy as hell.
08:15 AM on 06/01/12
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
One of the best albums the band has recorded. Four dudes at the top of their game in nearly every way.
This, I absolutely love this record!
08:20 AM on 06/01/12
Karl Hansen
www.lowcutrock.com
User Info.
At first I have to admit to being slightly dissapointed with this album, but after a few spins it started growing on me and now I have to keep my self from just repeating it over and over. Isn't that the way with all great records by the way?

Favourite song at the moment is Pledge Wore Thin. Those spicy bass-fills, yummy!

9/10 for me and my third favourite record of theirs, after Caution and Flight/Crash.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos