AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Kevin Devine News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Kevin Devine Live Tour EP

Posted by - 12:23 PM on 06/01/12
Kevin Devine live EP, Matter of Time: KD&GDB Tour EP 2012, can be downloaded here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
12:36 PM on 06/01/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
It should be noted that these are "live" in the sense of single-take studio recordings, not actually in front of an audience. Worth reading this:

Quote:
Between September 6th of last year and May 4th of this year, myself and this most recent and most fully-realized iteration of the Goddamn Band (Mike Fadem on drums, Daniel Sparks on bass and backing vocals, and Mike Strandberg on guitar and backing vocals) played something in the vicinity of 100 shows in 8 countries supporting Between The Concrete & Clouds. Over that time, as we got more comfortable taking risks, the songs (from all the records, not just the new one) changed presentationally, sometimes in ways that felt pretty radical. I feel like our band became a band, for the first time in my career, really; noisy, scratchy, tuneful, dynamic.

I wanted to document the way the songs and arrangements had stretched and grown during the cycle. So, a few weeks back we went into Seaside Lounge, a great studio a few blocks from my apartment in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and recorded live versions with Phil Palazzolo there, VERY little overdubbing (a few backup vocals and distorted bass lines), sung live, played live, no frills. I'm pretty thrilled with the results, and thought it was appropriate to share them with our fans, especially around another full summer of touring, really closing out the Concrete cycle circling back through the UK with Cursive, US with mewithoutyou, and appearing at Lollapalooza in August.

I also wanted to offer something new, and stylistically contrasting, as a counterpoint to the rockier band performances. "Matter Of Time" is a song that literally came to me during a walk a few weeks ago; it kind of started singing itself to me while I was en route to see some people, and finished itself on my way home from the same meeting. I rarely write straight love songs, ones that don't have a kind of trap door in them; sometimes, you're moved in gratitude, and want to capture it, to simplify its complexity. This song is as close as I can get.
12:39 PM on 06/01/12
jectec
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sold
01:52 PM on 06/01/12
Mirrorsandfevers
www.BasedOnNothing.net
User Info.
Love that KevDev.
02:33 PM on 06/01/12
jrtbighurt
[SOMEONEcallANambulance]
User Info.
Love this. Love KD.
03:37 PM on 06/01/12
kaskomm09
what is going on up here?
User Info.
Kevin's the best. Definitely going out of my way to pay for this.
04:33 PM on 06/01/12
Halloween413
User Info.
What does the bandcamp picture remind you of?

05:03 PM on 06/01/12
IV.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is awesome. If only 11-17 was on here too. That song is one of the greatest songs OF ALL TIME.
05:41 PM on 06/01/12
JoeLovesMO
JoeLovesMansions
User Info.
Oh KD, I love you.
05:43 PM on 06/01/12
NoOneRunsFaster
User Info.
Love that when I bought this my receipt says I paid Kevin Douch for this. Great ep
06:26 PM on 06/01/12
uglystar03
User Info.
This is so great. I love Kevin. He has this wonderful charisma about him. I swoon over him whenever I read his writings. I just want to be his best friend or something.
06:46 PM on 06/01/12
Carry The Zero
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just bought. I really wish he would have done an updated version of No Time Flat. I love how the lyrics to that song seem to change every time I see him.
07:44 PM on 06/01/12
thegoodjimprofi
User Info.
Why can't those bastards from Brand New do something awesome like this?

Go KevDev!
09:00 PM on 06/01/12
IV.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Why can't those bastards from Brand New do something awesome like this?

Go KevDev!
I know right? that band sucks. haha
09:48 PM on 06/01/12
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
best version of Bag of Bones so far, damn

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music