Username
Password
Recommended News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recommended
Inside AP.net

Staff Recommendations: June 3rd, 2012

Posted by: Blake Solomon (06/02/12)
Hi, and welcome to the part of your day/night where you look below and see me talking about Japandroids. And then look below and see other people hopefully talking about Japandroids. Or, maybe someone's talking about how the season premiere of Workaholics was just sort of ok, other than the line about ice being the currency of the future. So many possibilities! And apparently all of them are somehow connected to me!
BlakeJapandroids have brought the fury with Celebration Rock. I always wonder what straight-up rock record is going to headbutt me each year, and I think I have now found that album. It's great. Duh. I also think that The Tallest Man On Earth's new one, There's No Leaving Now, is a great album, but only if you are ok with getting exactly what you expected to get.
ThomasEvery summer people want new pop-punk to listen to - and over the past few weeks I've been glad to find out that new albums from Forever Came Calling, I Call Fives, With the Punches, Dikembe and Mixtapes are all worthy of the season. The new Make Do and Mend and Such Gold records will be worth your time as well.
Kyle HuntingtonA whole lot of Japandroids, 2:54's self-titled debut for fans of Warpaint and The xx mixed together in a pot and getting excited for The Maccabees biggest headline show to date on Friday. So their entire discography on play whenever I leave the house to walk somewhere. Also watching a whole lot of Stephen Fry programmes...as always.
Jake DenningI saw (and interviewed) Macklemore & Ryan Lewis last night at Oregon State University, great live set.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 61
10:37 PM on 06/02/12
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
Loma Prieta - I.V.
Suis La Lune - Riala
Joie De Vivre - We're All Better Than This
10:41 PM on 06/02/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
Welp Blake started it, so....

+

=

Happiness.
10:41 PM on 06/02/12
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
Japandroids. Mmmmm. And if you can't wait for Celebration Rock to hit on Tuesday, listen to Post-Nothing. I didn't care for it when it came out but I can't stop listening to it now, soooo good.
10:43 PM on 06/02/12
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
The Tower and The Fool - How Long

End Of Fashion - Holiday Trip Of a Lifetime

10:47 PM on 06/02/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Japandroids. Mmmmm. And if you can't wait for Celebration Rock to hit on Tuesday, listen to Post-Nothing. I didn't care for it when it came out but I can't stop listening to it now, soooo good.
idk, im still kind of meh on that record. this one is so much bigger to me.
10:49 PM on 06/02/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
Post-Nothing is great. But Celebration Rock is a motherfucking classic. Best loosely-defined "punk" record put out since The Monitor. Sorry Fucked Up.
10:49 PM on 06/02/12
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
The new Tallest Man On Earth CD really hasn't hit me yet. I've listened to it about 5 times through and still firmly believe that it isn't as good as The Wild Hunt. As for my recommendations:

The Morning Benders- Big Echo
The Roots- Undun
Laura Marling- A Creature I Don't Know
10:53 PM on 06/02/12
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
It's grown on me over the week. Some "huge" moments on the album that took at least 5 or 6 listens to truly appreciate. CR is definitely better, but PN has some amazing qualities to it.
10:54 PM on 06/02/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Post-Nothing is great. But Celebration Rock is a motherfucking classic. Best loosely-defined "punk" record put out since The Monitor. Sorry Fucked Up.
yeah i remember the monitor really affecting me, but CR is a much more immediate album to me.
10:54 PM on 06/02/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
Yeah but let's face it, Japandroids stepped it up big time with shit like "Wine and Roses," "House that Heaven Built" and "Younger Us." Like godamnnnnnnn
10:56 PM on 06/02/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
yeah i remember the monitor really affecting me, but CR is a much more immediate album to me.
The Monitor took me a solid 5-10 listens to love, but I loved the new Japandroids record from the first fireworks. Still though, "The Battle of Hampton Roads" means more to me than most pieces of recorded music not by a guy named Bruce or a band called Replacements
11:17 PM on 06/02/12
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
the new Japandroids album, I think that's all I need.
11:36 PM on 06/02/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
mewithoutYou - Ten Stories
11:52 PM on 06/02/12
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
Everyone should check out Fight The Current

RIYL - pop-rock - Sometimes I get a Dangerous Summer or even John Mayer vibe vocally. Live totally reminded me of The Starting Line for some reason.

Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests