Username
Password

01:35 AM on 06/03/12 
User Info.
Lucass
No Avatar Selected
United Kingdom
Male
My band has been looking for a drummer for about 5 months now since we had to part with our last one, but we just can't find one. What is the best way to find members? We've tried almost everything. I'm from the UK, so a lot of sites aren't very useful.
08:16 AM on 06/10/12 
User Info.
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
UK
Male - 27 Years Old
I don't know about the 'best' way, but here are some sites that might help:

http://www.bandvacancies.com/
http://www.music-ads.com/
http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/
05:51 AM on 06/15/12 
User Info.
catdog
No Avatar Selected
Male - 41 Years Old
pretend your are a real sexy girl who wants fun
05:52 AM on 06/15/12 
User Info.
catdog
No Avatar Selected
Male - 41 Years Old
or maybe you are
07:24 PM on 07/10/12 
User Info.
GarbageElitist
Missouri
Male - 22 Years Old
I think catdog has the best response. I've been playing alone for like 5 years just because I've never really found compatible band members.
12:20 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
secularplague
Male - 32 Years Old
I think catdog has the best response. I've been playing alone for like 5 years just because I've never really found compatible band members.

Definitely, don't wait, do your stuff, you'll find members more easily if you have a demo of your playing/songwriting skills!
01:11 PM on 07/14/12 
User Info.
Birdflu777
Life goes on, until it doesn't.
Willowick, OH
Male - 20 Years Old
For now I play by myself but finding band member is usually just a process of talking to friends. Facebook is an excellent tool, post something on there that you're looking and that should work. That's how I do it. :)
07:46 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
Rad Medicine
No Avatar Selected
Birmingham,...
Male
Maybe you could adapt your music to play without a drummer..? Heard so many awesome acoustic bands that started with the intention of having a drummer. Then once you have a reputation, sure they'll come flocking.
06:50 AM on 07/21/12 
User Info.
mitchar19
Ga
Male
I would just recommend putting flyers out around your town and surrounding area advertising you need a drummer
12:47 PM on 07/26/12 
User Info.
Gae
NYC
Male
Post flyers/ads in local music stores
03:31 PM on 07/27/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified

one bassist for 3 years and he lives in a different state. never a drummer. ive auditioned probably over 100 musicians in that time frame. i feel you.
03:32 PM on 07/27/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
I would just recommend putting flyers out around your town and surrounding area advertising you need a drummer

be prepared for 95% of the responses to this flyer being scene kids who have no idea how to play softer than fortissimo nor what that word even means.

and the other 5% are amazing drummers but total flakes and they will either never return your emails/text messages, or they will keep saying that they're gonna come to practice but never show up.
03:48 PM on 07/27/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Maybe you could adapt your music to play without a drummer..? Heard so many awesome acoustic bands that started with the intention of having a drummer. Then once you have a reputation, sure they'll come flocking.

there is literally so much more you can do with electric music than acoustic music. in the acoustic world its all been done before but you can always explore new territory with an electric guitar. the problem is electric guitar, especially distorted, can't really carry itself because the distortion kind of muffles up the rhythms you're playing and can sound like a mess live, it needs drums to sound concise and clean. ive had the same problem as this band for so long, i love to write electric music but it's not going to go anywhere without a drummer.
03:14 AM on 07/31/12 
User Info.
Rad Medicine
No Avatar Selected
Birmingham,...
Male
there is literally so much more you can do with electric music than acoustic music. in the acoustic world its all been done before but you can always explore new territory with an electric guitar. the problem is electric guitar, especially distorted, can't really carry itself because the distortion kind of muffles up the rhythms you're playing and can sound like a mess live, it needs drums to sound concise and clean. ive had the same problem as this band for so long, i love to write electric music but it's not going to go anywhere without a drummer.

No arguements here.

I was in a position where I was in a band without a singer (Hopewood / Goodcore Records) but we were writing, in our view, awesoem music. We then started gigging instrumental. Then, out the blue, someone came up to us after a show and offered to sing for us... Never had any ideas above our station, we simply wanted to play and wouldn't let poxy things like not having a singer (incidentally, none of us were/are into post-rock..!) stop us.

A better example is a band we (Hopewood) used to play/rehearse with a great deal, 65 Days of Static (re-mixed ALK3, Robert Smith sings on their last album). They started off life without a drummer, opting for a pure drum machine. Then they found a drummer after they built their name.

It's not ideal.

I always remember an interview I read with Johnny Cash... "Why do you play the style you play Johnny?" "Becuase I can't play any faster". I think everyone kinda aims for a different sound to what they finish, but you just work within your means/ability.

Just a viewpoint.
08:20 AM on 07/31/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
No arguements here.

I was in a position where I was in a band without a singer (Hopewood / Goodcore Records) but we were writing, in our view, awesoem music. We then started gigging instrumental. Then, out the blue, someone came up to us after a show and offered to sing for us... Never had any ideas above our station, we simply wanted to play and wouldn't let poxy things like not having a singer (incidentally, none of us were/are into post-rock..!) stop us.

A better example is a band we (Hopewood) used to play/rehearse with a great deal, 65 Days of Static (re-mixed ALK3, Robert Smith sings on their last album). They started off life without a drummer, opting for a pure drum machine. Then they found a drummer after they built their name.

It's not ideal.

I always remember an interview I read with Johnny Cash... "Why do you play the style you play Johnny?" "Becuase I can't play any faster". I think everyone kinda aims for a different sound to what they finish, but you just work within your means/ability.

Just a viewpoint.

yeah, its been what ive been meaning to do. like you said you found a vocalist by performing and stumbling across someone who just got to see a sample of your work -- while i dont think our more distorted songs will fare well this way, the bassist and i are planning to play some softened versions and some of the cleaner songs live. i'm sick of looking for the right drummer, you'll never find one if you're a band that appears desperate and posts flyers like theyve got nothing going for them. but if we can show people that we have almost a full album of great songs prepared, perhaps a drummer in the crowd can be interested by what he heard and see that we know what we're doing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos