Password

Album Review
Second To Last - Vessel EP Album Cover

Second To Last - Vessel EP

Reviewed by
Second To LastVessel EP
Record Label: Hella Mad Records
Release Date: June 5, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Old school pop-punk has yet to die. Bands like Blink-182, Midtown, New Found Glory, and MXPX still have special places in our hearts. The dual vocals, memorable guitar riffs and hooks, and relatable lyrics still kick ass. Currently, a myriad of bands remind us of these feelings, with California’s Second To Last doing just that with Vessels.

Blazing guitars ignite the EP with “Feels The Same.” The guitars continue to be a standout throughout the EP, with the structured playing highlighting Tyson Evans’ vocals on each track. Dual vocals energize “Turmoil” over a thick bass as Evans belts, “When I exhausted all my breath / I figured you’d help sing the rest / I can’t expect anything from you / I expected you to try.” Such penetrating words really bring life to the EP, making each track hit hard.

Sounding darker and more menacing, the guitars add a different tone to “Cheap Sleep,” as Evans describes the state of the world currently built on vices. It’s dark and accusatory – but it’s honest, not unlike The Story So Far’s Under Soil And Dirt. In similar fashion, Evans and Mays’ vocal tradeoffs dominate “Dry Spell,” as the two repeat, “You’re part of the problem / But you’ll never know it.”

With every track remaining around the 3-minute marker, Second To Last don’t want any filler – they just want to rock. Lyrics of brutal honesty and social commentary are embedded within the dual vocals, allowing Second To Last to hit hard. As we watch bands like The Story So Far grow and rise, we should be on the look out for Second To Last as well, with Vessel really setting them up for impressive endeavors.

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:41 PM on 06/04/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Really liked this a lot. Great EP. Extremely excited to see where this band goes with Joe Lacy, I can just imagine his voice mixing perfectly with Tyson's.
09:12 AM on 06/05/12
xBranx
Brandon Pagano / Handguns
User Info.
This band has a VERY promising future and I want to see them blow up. These songs rule.
10:59 AM on 06/05/12
ali1mg
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sooo much potential, very excited to hear more

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT