Password

Album Review

Write This Down - Lost Weekend Album Cover

Write This Down - Lost Weekend

Reviewed by
Write This DownLost Weekend
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: June 5, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Two years after their self-titled debut record, Write This Down are back with Lost Weekend. Sticking to the same blend of gut-wrenching screams and clean vocals, the guys don’t throw too many curveballs here. Not unlike Write This Down, their sophomore record also explores various styles and sounds, having both benefits and hindrances.

The hard hitters stand out more than ever this time around, with the opening “The Older I Get, The Better I Was” being about as heavy as it gets. Johnny Collier’s scream is stronger than ever. Musically, Nate Rockwell’s guitar and Chad Nicholas’ drumming are both tighter than ever, evident throughout the chaotic “Red 7” and frantic “The Florida Rage.” The growth of the musicians in the band is unmistakable; it prevails track after track.

However, whereas these heavy doses display the growth of Write This Down over the past two years, much of the record proves inconsistent. Title track “Lost Weekend” and “Crash And Burn” sound like lame Sum 41 songs due to the sound of Collier’s clean vocals this time around, while both “Cheap Affairs” and “Minnesota Interlude” are acoustic numbers in the middle of an otherwise heavy record – they just don’t fit the rest of the record.

While much of the record inconsistently explores various genres, Lost Weekend does prove Write This Down can experiment while still remaining true to themselves. Closing “Song And Dance” is an ideal portrayal of this combination – Collier gets to exercise his clean vocals, yet he screams his lungs out at times when energy is needed. Although this formula works well for the band, the best moments on the record are when Collier lets loose and screams.

Maybe Write This Down will prove the third time is the charm with their next record, but for now, Lost Weekend unfortunately does not bring much to the table than their debut did. Highlighted pieces convey growth – the musicianship is stronger than ever and Collier’s scream kills – but parts of the record – the incongruous clean vocals and ballads – detract from this growth. Write This Down clearly have talent, they just need to hone in on a sound and perfect it.

5.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
10:09 PM on 06/04/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
This cd is real good. And I like it a lot...but I agree with you as well. Some things don't quite fit on it. And the Sum 41 comparison is very evident.
07:00 AM on 06/05/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think the softer songs fit perfectly, giving you a break from the heavy feel of the rest of the record... "cheap affairs" being one of the best songs on the record IMO. the only song i skip on this one is "i'll make you famous", i just feel like they had good intentions when creating the song, but the final product just missed the mark.
03:46 PM on 06/07/12
WKU16
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is easily one of the best and going to be one of the best albums this year. I didn't think they could top their debut album, which I loved, but this one blows it out of the water. I'm really excited about this band and hope they can make a name for themselves. With this album, my favorite tracks are: "Cheap Affairs", "Song and Dance", "I'll Make You Famous", and "Lost Weekend". With songs like Cheap Affairs and Song and Dance, you can just feel the emotion and the realness in the lyrics. These guys put their hearts on their sleeves and don't hold back. I've had this record on repeat since it came out Tuesday. I can't remember the last time an album made me this excited. With the exception of every Senses Fail record that is. But I really hope these guys can take off.
07:19 PM on 10/26/12
wiki65
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Many contemporary definitions of artist and art are highly contingent on culture, resisting aesthetic prescription, in much the same way that the features constituting beauty and the beautiful, cannot be standardized easily without corruption into kitsch. Thanks a lot.
Regards,
paraphrasing online

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests